Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Whos running nittos? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/whos-running-nittos-176231.html)

tdaniel03 07-25-2012 10:50 PM

Whos running nittos?

How do you like your nittos?

monkers 07-26-2012 05:26 AM

well, so far I have not had them off road other than minor playing around, going to Rausch next weekend for TFTTS, so far I love them. Not as loud as I expected, handle good on road......well see after next weekend lol...

woorm 07-26-2012 08:09 PM

I was running Nitto trail grapplers MT 285/65/18 they are great tires only complaint is that they were just to stiff for me on the jeep. I am selling them with rims. I still run the same ones on my 2006 suburban in the winter time. bigger truck they dont seam as harsh. I went to Goodyear fierce Attitude MT 35X12.5X17 For the softer ride & they have been great true test will be the snow for me. nittos were great in the snow.

swaskey 07-26-2012 08:25 PM

I'm curious too. I was originally going to pick up a set of the terra grapplers, but the trail grapplers look better to me.

I'm just not sure which is better for me, off road.

Steve79 07-26-2012 08:37 PM

Running 37" trail grapplers and love them!

No weight needed for balance and grip everything!

On road is a pleasure also not to loud and ride smooth.

Jcole231 07-26-2012 08:51 PM

Currently running 285x75x16 terra grapplers. Handle great on the road and decent for minor off roading. My 315x75x16 GY MTRs just arrived today

TJMadness 07-26-2012 09:16 PM

I'm running 33x13.50xr15 mud grapplers and they are by far my favorite tire. Sure they're loud on the road, but I just use that as a warning so people know they gotta big jeep comin their way ;)

brendend 07-26-2012 09:26 PM

Do you find the 13.5 is to wide? How far past the fender flare do they stick out?

TJMadness 07-26-2012 09:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendend
Do you find the 13.5 is to wide? How far past the fender flare do they stick out?

Nah dude they look great. Here's some pics

zapzap 07-27-2012 02:43 AM

I've was struggling with this decision for a few weeks before making up my mind, whether to get the Trail Grapplers or Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. Now while Nitto makes a great tire, in my opinion they are not such a good option for the Jeep. The Trail Grapplers, (I have no experience with Mud or Terra) are rated at a load range of E(correct me if I'm wrong) and the Jeep being so light it makes the ride very harsh. Now that may not bother some people, but I don't see the need to make the ride any harsher than it has to be. My dad has some Trail Grapplers on a 3/4 ton truck and they preform flawlessly on it. And they preform very well on a Jeep as well, but you will notice your ride on road will be harsher in comparison to other tires, and your side wall will not compress as much when air down. Not to mention the Nittos are a very heavy tire in general. Someone told me the BFG KM2's in 37'' are lighter than a 35'' Nitto Trail Grappler, not sure if that is correct or accurate but I wouldn't doubt it.

You have to just take into consideration the overall weight of the tire, which wheels your going to use, steel or alloy, and what your intended purposes will be. In the end it comes down to what you want, because it is your Jeep, we can only share our experiences and stories.

I am limiting my decision now between MT/R Kevlars or KM2's. Heavily leaning towards the Kevlars though.

Jcole231 07-27-2012 02:59 AM

My mtr kevlars are sitting in my garage just waiting to be mounted. They look super aggressive, even more so than in pics

woorm 07-28-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapzap
I've was struggling with this decision for a few weeks before making up my mind, whether to get the Trail Grapplers or Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. Now while Nitto makes a great tire, in my opinion they are not such a good option for the Jeep. The Trail Grapplers, (I have no experience with Mud or Terra) are rated at a load range of E(correct me if I'm wrong) and the Jeep being so light it makes the ride very harsh. Now that may not bother some people, but I don't see the need to make the ride any harsher than it has to be. My dad has some Trail Grapplers on a 3/4 ton truck and they preform flawlessly on it. And they preform very well on a Jeep as well, but you will notice your ride on road will be harsher in comparison to other tires, and your side wall will not compress as much when air down. Not to mention the Nittos are a very heavy tire in general. Someone told me the BFG KM2's in 37'' are lighter than a 35'' Nitto Trail Grappler, not sure if that is correct or accurate but I wouldn't doubt it.

You have to just take into consideration the overall weight of the tire, which wheels your going to use, steel or alloy, and what your intended purposes will be. In the end it comes down to what you want, because it is your Jeep, we can only share our experiences and stories.

I am limiting my decision now between MT/R Kevlars or KM2's. Heavily leaning towards the Kevlars though.

You hit the nail on the head . I had Nitto trail grappler mt on my 2006 Duramax 285/65/18 I love them they were great. So when I sold my D-Max I kept the tires & I bought rims & put them on my Jeep. I was so harsh of a ride 2 months latter I took them off bought D rated also went down to a 17 inch rim for a softer ride. I had them aired down to 28psi still very harsh. Some people don't care how hard the ride is they are jeeps. But I like both good road ride and good offload tire. Well now days you can have both if you just get the right combo.

ESP 07-28-2012 12:36 PM

I ran the trail grapplers for about 3 months but there were far too many other tire choices in the size I had for much less weight. The nittos are a heavy tire.

CMA_Rider 07-28-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMadness

Nah dude they look great. Here's some pics

Did you change your tie rod

BossierCity_WranglerJK 07-28-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaskey
I'm curious too. I was originally going to pick up a set of the terra grapplers, but the trail grapplers look better to me.

I'm just not sure which is better for me, off road.

The terra grappler is a no no if you ever plan to see and mud and it is a super heavy light alterian tire.

Jcole231 07-28-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossierCity_WranglerJK

The terra grappler is a no no if you ever plan to see and mud and it is a super heavy light alterian tire.

Agreed

Copperhead 07-30-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve79 (Post 2626026)
Running 37" trail grapplers and love them!

No weight needed for balance and grip everything!

On road is a pleasure also not to loud and ride smooth.

I went with the 37" Trail Grapplers for my project Jeep, so this is good to hear. I do remember the guy that mounted and balanced them remarked that they took very little weight to balance. As for the other comments about road harshness, I'm adding quite a bit of weight to my Wrangler in the form of an all iron V8, automatic trans, D44's, a full custom rollcage, winch, heavy bumpers and a swingout tire mount with another 37 incher, of course.

swaskey 07-30-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossierCity_WranglerJK

Thanks Bossier !!

As much as I love the look, the more I read, the more I decide against.

Steve79 07-30-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead
I went with the 37" Trail Grapplers for my project Jeep, so this is good to hear. I do remember the guy that mounted and balanced them remarked that they took very little weight to balance. As for the other comments about road harshness, I'm adding quite a bit of weight to my Wrangler in the form of an all iron V8, automatic trans, D44's, a full custom rollcage, winch, heavy bumpers and a swingout tire mount with another 37 incher, of course.

I have a 4 door with all PSC steel armor with front pro rock 44 ( double the weight of original front ) and a rear 44 without any issues. Drive about 60 miles round trip daily at 65-75 MPH and get 16 MPG!

damndirtydog 07-30-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossierCity_WranglerJK (Post 2631102)

The terra's do leave something to be desired when it comes to adding water. I found mine to be actually not too bad in moderate mud. Good traction in dry offroad conditions and soft sand. Probably not good on rock.
They are great on the road, quiet, balance well. Where they don't excel is very wet roads, icy roads, snowy roads.
I don't have my highway commute to work anymore so I plan to change to Duratracs.

Rb1boxer_3 07-30-2012 09:56 PM

I run the 37" mud grapplers and love them yea there loud but I like the sound they make and awesome in mud the last time I went mudding.

TJMadness 07-31-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rb1boxer_3
I run the 37" mud grapplers and love them yea there loud but I like the sound they make and awesome in mud the last time I went mudding.

Hell yeah nothin sounds better than some mud grapplers roarin down the road

tdaniel03 07-31-2012 10:54 AM

I've got a few tires I've been looking at, the nittos, pitbull rockers, toyos, and Mickey thompsons, nittos is most likely what I'm going with, because of the tread life, and the aggression. What gear ratio do y'all run, I hear with 35's you wanna go with 4.88

Rb1boxer_3 07-31-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdaniel03
I've got a few tires I've been looking at, the nittos, pitbull rockers, toyos, and Mickey thompsons, nittos is most likely what I'm going with, because of the tread life, and the aggression. What gear ratio do y'all run, I hear with 35's you wanna go with 4.88

I run the 37s with my stock 3.73 gears on the 2012 so far it's fine I have both the nitto mud and Toyo open country's in 37s. I like the mud grapplers but get better mileage with the toyos

HK_Runner 08-02-2012 09:15 PM

With the Nitto MTs, I'd go to the 15" size just to keep the C rated tires. Still heavy..wish they would lighten it up some and make C rated ones in 17" as well.

Renagade119 08-04-2012 07:51 PM

I was thinking of buying 35" trail grapplers but decided that 35" was too big for my purposes, Ive changed my mind to 33x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's. Anybody got any feedback/input?

HK_Runner 08-04-2012 07:55 PM

I considered them but a 2-ply sidewall will not cut it for me. If you do not offroad much or not around rocks, they will be fine. Three ply sidewalls can take a beating here, so 2-ply is not in my cards. I am not a rock-crawler, but I take my Jeep offroad for multi-day explorations.

Renagade119 08-04-2012 08:00 PM

Im still in highschool (grade 12) so I dont have many opportunities to take 'er offroad and I live smack dab in the middle of the praries (saskatoon,saskatchewan,canada) so we dont have that many rocks to worry about. I plan to use my jeep as a weekend warrior, taking my bike and scuba gear out to the best (and least accessible!) places. So I need something that will be good intown but will get me where I need to go with the least amount of problems (stuck, etc) possible. The other thing is the trail grappers are a little pricey for a kid raking in a whooping 10$ an hour:banghead:

tdaniel03 08-04-2012 09:12 PM

I'm between the trail grapplers and the toyo M/T's, toyos are heavier but last longer but right now I'm looking at the gear ratio and which ones Gunna spin better

Renagade119 08-04-2012 09:21 PM

The toyo m/t's look sweet, I'm just kinda worried bout their on-road performance. Cause that's a big part of where my jeep is going to be, but if they have a good wear life ill have to add another tire to the list of tires to consider. So far I'm at Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's, Dick Cepek FC-II and Toyo M/T's