Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Arizona Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/)
-   -   Any wheeling areas in Phoenix? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/any-wheeling-areas-in-phoenix-176257.html)

BeaverJeeper 07-26-2012 03:15 AM

Any wheeling areas in Phoenix?

My sister and I are looking to move to Phoenix (from Washington... the heat's going to kill me. lol) anyways, just wanted to know how many trails there are here, if any. i poked around on googlemaps and it doesn't look like Phoenix is as trail friendly as Washington is. am i wrong?

Rockjeep94 07-26-2012 09:23 AM

Very wrong :) there are trails everywhere. Its hard to google map a trail when everything is brown and looks the same.

ferninAZ 07-26-2012 10:45 AM

I just got back from Sedona which is not in Phoenix but close enough. Beautiful up there. Very much something that should be explored if you are in the area or headed to the Grand Canyon.

BeaverJeeper 07-26-2012 02:42 PM

awesome! good to hear!

unclesamsmisguidedchild 07-26-2012 03:49 PM

Not to mention Florence is close as well.

ryanmar 07-30-2012 02:38 PM

Pick up this book-

Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells. I got it off Amazon for $15 I think. Book has 75 trails all over the state and has sub categories (Difficulty, location, etc) as well. Very well detailed

unclesamsmisguidedchild 07-30-2012 04:43 PM

except his idea of diffuclty is a little off. :banghead:

desertgoose 07-30-2012 08:41 PM

There are plenty of great trails around here that I haven't even had the chance to see within an hour of PHX... yet. Just depends what you are looking for, but summer time is best to wheel up north.

JoeBot13 07-30-2012 10:42 PM

Start with the Apache Trail ... just outside of Phoenix ... I'll be honest its just a well maintained dirt road ... no challenge whatsoever but its a good start with great views ... it leads you up north and towards roosevelt lake ... and if you keep following it will take you up into the white mountains ...

Check this link out also ... Az game and fish dept's website with ohv areas ... tons of stuff in and around Phx ... get up north as soon as you get a chance though!

Arizona OHV Trails & OHV Maps OHV Places to Ride and Areas in Arizona

desertgoose 07-31-2012 10:42 AM

I'll suggest the back way to crown king. We had 30+ vehicles head up that way a week ago and all obstacles have a bypass to the side if you aren't comfortable. Google the town, I know between now and early October they are having both a rib and chili contest.(different weekends of course) It turns into an all day thing, 4-6 hours up and 2 hours back home by the I-17. The rest of the time is always enjoyed at the saloon. :thumb:

RatherBNarizona 08-03-2012 10:34 PM

check out Sycamore Creek as well... my favorite.

Rogue-Tracker 08-07-2012 08:47 AM

My wife and I summer in Oregon and wheel the Tillamook State Forest as well as trails in Eastern Oregon and Southern Washington. The last three winters have been spent in Arizona exploring off road trails every weekend from Wickenburg south to the border. Usually start out Good Year, Phoenix, Mesa Area then Tucson, Benson. This year most likely run southeast from Portland Oregon through Idaho, Utah and New Mexico then work our way back up from Yuma. As mentioned everything brown but a lot of great trails with any kind of complexity you might be looking for.

BeaverJeeper 08-09-2012 03:38 AM

hmm. this is going to be so awesome! i'm getting more and more excited! all the wheeling i've done here in WA is super tight trails between trees, crawling over fallen trees, weaving in and out of dry river beds, hill climbs, mud...... and trees.

i'm pumped to see some rocks! and some sand! and maybe i can go wheeling and not have to clean out twigs and leaves that are in every nook and cranny!

Rockjeep94 08-09-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeaverJeeper
hmm. this is going to be so awesome! i'm getting more and more excited! all the wheeling i've done here in WA is super tight trails between trees, crawling over fallen trees, weaving in and out of dry river beds, hill climbs, mud...... and trees.

i'm pumped to see some rocks! and some sand! and maybe i can go wheeling and not have to clean out twigs and leaves that are in every nook and cranny!

Lol you will still have to do that arizona pinstriping is everywhere. And the bad part about our twigs is they all have thorns.

Rogue-Tracker 08-09-2012 12:38 PM

Lots of Arizona pin striping if you are having a good time with your off road adventures. Wife had a fit with the first few scratches but now just looks forward to the adventure. She now plans were we will go every weekend.

BeaverJeeper 08-10-2012 05:30 AM

oh wow! never would have thought. i don't think my jeep has a spot for another pinstripe! lol

unclesamsmisguidedchild 08-10-2012 11:08 AM

Trust me it does. If not pinstriping watch out for the rocks that just jump out at ya.:facepalm:

BeaverJeeper 08-10-2012 02:59 PM

sounds like i'll need more armor!

CapnRich22 08-10-2012 03:20 PM

yeah and if you get tired of the sand and rocks, the mogollon rim isn't far away and its 8000+ ft elevation and pine trees and tight trails i like going up there in the summer, i just got back from the north rim of the grand canyon and caught a fallen tree to the fender and dented it up haha but it was great times, beautiful country there and almost 9000 ft

SandDevil93 08-10-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclesamsmisguidedchild (Post 2636952)
except his idea of diffuclty is a little off. :banghead:

A little off.....easier than stated or harder? I have the book and have yet to go out anywhere yet.
Waiting for it to cool off.....haha Not gonna happen any time soon. Enjoy you're time left in WA, it's hotter than hell here now. Ok, ok, the winters are nice, but it is hotter than hell right now! So many places to go, about 2 hours max in just about all directions from Valley.....Sedona, Payson, the Rim, Globe area, Flagstaff, even Tucson......nooooo not Tucson, you'll be a Devil not a Wildcat, first lesson to living in AZ :whistling:

BeaverJeeper 08-11-2012 05:46 AM

Devil not a Wildcat? explain. sounds scary. what's wrong with Tucson? lol

CapnRich22 08-11-2012 10:40 AM

ASU is in the Phoenix area.. they are the Sun Devils U of A is in Tucson and they are the wildcats.. its the state college rivalry... I still think we should give Tucson back to mexico ;) hehe

SandDevil93 08-11-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnRich22 (Post 2674668)
ASU is in the Phoenix area.. they are the Sun Devils U of A is in Tucson and they are the wildcats.. its the state college rivalry... I still think we should give Tucson back to mexico ;) hehe

Very much like (maybe, noticing your forum name "Beaver") being a beaver rather than a duck :) Oregon State vs. University of Oregon.

Most importantly is mutual passion for Jeeps.:dance:

BeaverJeeper 08-11-2012 03:13 PM

ahhh sports... lol all i know is tennis and rock climbing as far as sports go. lol and my name beaver is referring to the actual animal. lol!

unclesamsmisguidedchild 08-12-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandDevil93 (Post 2672384)
A little off.....easier than stated or harder? I have the book and have yet to go out anywhere yet.
Waiting for it to cool off.....haha Not gonna happen any time soon. Enjoy you're time left in WA, it's hotter than hell here now. Ok, ok, the winters are nice, but it is hotter than hell right now! So many places to go, about 2 hours max in just about all directions from Valley.....Sedona, Payson, the Rim, Globe area, Flagstaff, even Tucson......nooooo not Tucson, you'll be a Devil not a Wildcat, first lesson to living in AZ :whistling:

His ratings are rated harder than they actually are.

Oh yeah I live in Tucson and hate UofA.

SandDevil93 08-12-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclesamsmisguidedchild (Post 2677451)

Oh yeah I live in Tucson and hate UofA.

Now that's what I like to hear! Atta boy!!:D

ferninAZ 08-14-2012 01:54 PM

Anyone wanna show me some trails in or around Phoenix on 8/25? Sorry to hijack a little OP.

desertgoose 08-14-2012 04:38 PM

I might be going out that weekend. I'll post back here if we go out.

ferninAZ 08-14-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose (Post 2684862)
I might be going out that weekend. I'll post back here if we go out.

That would be great, I will be up there Friday night and all day Saturday.

xdbltrblx 08-20-2012 09:51 PM

Plenty of places to go. I would suggest willow springs and pyeatt draw. Two very cool trails.