Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   help needed clanking when turning (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/help-needed-clanking-when-turning-176343.html)

silver rubi 07-26-2012 01:26 PM

help needed clanking when turning

I have a 2006 Rubicon and when I make slow turns I can hear something underneath clanking as I make the turn. Anyone know what it might be? Help! Thanks.

Dextreme 07-26-2012 01:34 PM

Most common are front axle u-joints starting to fail or something loose in the steering joints.

silver rubi 07-26-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 2624484)
Most common are front axle u-joints starting to fail or something loose in the steering joints.

If the u-joints were loose would that do it?

Dextreme 07-26-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver rubi (Post 2624641)
If the u-joints were loose would that do it?

Well, on an other vehicle of mine, the axle u-joints were loose because the bearings were shot. So whenever I turned the wheel going around a sweeping corner, I would hear a ticking that was the same timing as a tire revolution. U-joints were shot.

Pirates-Rubi 07-26-2012 02:31 PM

Yes they would. Had the same problem with mine last year and the bearing caps were almost rusted away. I stupidly overlooked them during the maint check. Replace both at the same time and if they are the factory ones a torch is going to be your best friend.

silver rubi 07-26-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirates-Rubi (Post 2624671)
Yes they would. Had the same problem with mine last year and the bearing caps were almost rusted away. I stupidly overlooked them during the maint check. Replace both at the same time and if they are the factory ones a torch is going to be your best friend.

Do you have to use a torch to get them off? I know nothing about them. Nor do I have a torch lol. :facepalm:

It is a 2006 Rubicon that has about 210000 miles and most of the stuff "underneath" is OEM, minus the exhaust system.:whistling:

Pirates-Rubi 07-26-2012 02:48 PM

It's not a requirement but if they have been in there for a long time the tend to freeze in place and a torch helps loosen them. I'd use a u joint press at the least tho and a big hammer or two. I have a cheapo harbor freight u joint/ball joint press. It's not the best but it gets the job done. Use the hammer to hit the ears of the shaft to help relieve tension while removing don't beat them though as you can deform them or gouge the cap journal. If you have access to air tools an air chisel to remove the retaining clips does wonders and an impact drill to operate the press speeds things along.

(edit) a vice to hold the shaft will make things easier as well.

(edit 2) I'm horrible at thinking of everything at once. There some good write ups on here and across the web of the whole process. I'd post a link but for some reason my phone wont let me right now. Do a search on here as its a common maint item that most if not all jeepers have done at some point.