Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Best Sounding Muffler for 4.0 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/best-sounding-muffler-for-4-0-a-177780.html)

Sanchez 08-02-2012 12:48 AM

Best Sounding Muffler for 4.0
 
Which is the nicest, cleanest, sounding muffler for a 4.0?

1stDeuce 08-02-2012 01:25 AM

IMO, a straight six sounds like crap with anything but a somewhat quiet muffler. I'm running a Gibson setup on mine, and it's a little bit throaty with the big tip installed, but if I take it off, it's only slightly louder than stock, without the air whistling sound that the tiny OEM pipe makes at higher RPM's. It does snarl a little when you back out of the throttle, but it's nowhere near as irritating as the Borla system that my friend has on his XJ. Honestly, the stock muffler is pretty clean sounding too, I just didn't have one when I put my jeep together. :)

Derp 08-02-2012 02:02 AM

You can't go wrong with a dynomax super turbo muffler. They're known as the "turbo muffler" and they've been around since the 60's. They have a no drone guarantee. I have a 6" tip that dumps right before the axle and it sounds awesome!!!

DeanR-805 08-02-2012 04:15 AM

I have a stainless magnaflow that dumps before the axle and I love the way it sounds

Redsand 08-02-2012 04:53 AM

Banks

Derp 08-02-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsand
Banks

Maybe you like drone but we don't.

06challenger 08-02-2012 10:31 AM

i feel the best sound for your money would be a Flowmaster 50 series with single in duel 2.5 in out with turn downs... sound nice and quiet with just a little "throatyness~" lol... but its only a 6 cylinder.... so you cant expect much... i mean they are putting hemi's in these now! ;)

Gary2 08-02-2012 11:15 AM

Best muffler for a 4 or 6 cyl is the quietest one you can find unless you want to sound like an imitation Ricer or a really long f@rt. The only good sounding exhaust system I ever heard was on a V8.

Mctim35 08-02-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp
You can't go wrong with a dynomax super turbo muffler. They're known as the "turbo muffler" and they've been around since the 60's. They have a no drone guarantee. I have a 6" tip that dumps right before the axle and it sounds awesome!!!

X2! I just put this one on mine because the stocker had a hole in it @ 118K. Throaty running through the gears but not much louder than stock when sitting at idle or on the highway.

shanes04wrangler 08-02-2012 02:10 PM

x2 on banks but if you have cali emission you could just run a straight pipe back did not make a difference with the muffler on or off still was quite to me.

Derp 08-02-2012 02:14 PM

I cut my flowmaster off. They make a horrible muffler, I lost power and mpg, and they drone horribly. They're the worst flowing muffler you can get.

Straight piping gets obnoxious after a week or so and it drones retardedly bad. I live in cali and I don't know what you've been smoking but cali emissions laws will tear you a new @ss if you go straight piped.

Theirs a reason the Dynomax turbo mufflers have been around for 50+ years.

TJspeed 08-02-2012 02:17 PM

Want a good sounding muffler for a good price? Thrush welded. $39 sounds like a flowmaster

Dextreme 08-02-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 2647241)
Want a good sounding muffler for a good price? Thrush welded. $39 sounds like a flowmaster

Agreed. Best money spend my my Jeep so far. :thumb:

lwszabo 08-02-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp

Maybe you like drone but we don't.

I have the Banks Monster with zero drone! I have always recommended the banks at the least drone and cleanest sound for the 4.0. I have had a few different ones and thought the Banks was he most tuned...may be wrong though!!!

Boobicon 08-02-2012 02:46 PM

I agree banks sounds amazing.. I have the banks power pack, so not only does it sound great but can beat the added HP

DarthLEGO 08-02-2012 02:49 PM

Borla. Nice and subtle, till you stop on the gas. Or go over 75 for a long time with the rig "buttoned" up. Of course then it only bothers anyone sitting in the back.

Dragonii 08-02-2012 03:12 PM

I have a Dynomax Super Turbo and I love it. Bought it when they were offering a $75 rebate so it cost me about $60 for a cat back system.
I love how it sounds.
As others have said, it has a nice throaty sound at idle and at the lower end of the power band, but not too loud. Roll down the street at around 1600-1800 RPM's and you'll hear it, hit 2000 and she quietens up like a stocker. So what you end up with is that you catch a nice throaty sound during acceleration/shifting but you get a quiet ride once you get to your regular cruising speed on the open road.
For what I paid for it, I don't think I could have done any better.

Check Youtube for "Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Shootout". JP magazine did most of the popular TJ exhaust.
Here's the Dynomax. Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Shootout - Dynomax Super Turbo - YouTube
Just make sure to use good headphones when you listen to them, and stock iPhone headphones do not classify as "good"... not even half way decent.

HarryJeepGuy 08-02-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanes04wrangler
x2 on banks but if you have cali emission you could just run a straight pipe back did not make a difference with the muffler on or off still was quite to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp
I cut my flowmaster off. They make a horrible muffler, I lost power and mpg, and they drone horribly. They're the worst flowing muffler you can get.

Straight piping gets obnoxious after a week or so and it drones retardedly bad. I live in cali and I don't know what you've been smoking but cali emissions laws will tear you a new @ss if you go straight piped.

Theirs a reason the Dynomax turbo mufflers have been around for 50+ years.

I believe he means that it's easy to straight pipe a "Cali" emissions setup because the 4 O2 sensors are before and after the pre-cats on the header, so the Jeep doesn't care if you have the main cat or not. Obviously won't pass emissions if you have to worry about that.

I have a 01 4.0 5-speed (Cali emissions setup) and installed a Banks Monster Cat-Back a week or so ago. I left off the shiny turn down tip because I hated how it looked, and I figured it was going to get ripped off anyway. No drone at all, love how it sounds. Should have done it sooner, my stocker was in bad shape.

DPD06 08-02-2012 03:48 PM

I have the Magnaflow catback on my LJ. Very nice low rumble with no drone. This weekend Ill be installing a Ripp supercharger so Im looking forward to see if forced induction makes any changes in the sound.

lwszabo 08-02-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryJeepGuy

I believe he means that it's easy to straight pipe a "Cali" emissions setup because the 4 O2 sensors are before and after the pre-cats on the header, so the Jeep doesn't care if you have the main cat or not. Obviously won't pass emissions if you have to worry about that.

I have a 01 4.0 5-speed (Cali emissions setup) and installed a Banks Monster Cat-Back a week or so ago. I left off the shiny turn down tip because I hated how it looked, and I figured it was going to get ripped off anyway. No drone at all, love how it sounds. Should have done it sooner, my stocker was in bad shape.

Sent pm

lwszabo 08-02-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stDeuce
IMO, a straight six sounds like crap with anything but a somewhat quiet muffler. I'm running a Gibson setup on mine, and it's a little bit throaty with the big tip installed, but if I take it off, it's only slightly louder than stock, without the air whistling sound that the tiny OEM pipe makes at higher RPM's. It does snarl a little when you back out of the throttle, but it's nowhere near as irritating as the Borla system that my friend has on his XJ. Honestly, the stock muffler is pretty clean sounding too, I just didn't have one when I put my jeep together. :)

I has to disagree with a strait six sounding like crap. Check out this video and move it up to about 18 seconds. This is the stock 4.0 stroked and built....sounds so good! I know the owner and engine builder...in fact he did the head work on my TJ.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=9f_jcP1ll5A

rrich 08-02-2012 08:18 PM

Still looking for the one that makes the same sound as it does with the engine OFF!

I don't want to hear yours, and you don't want to hear mine.

Silence is a lost art.

If you want to impress little kids - get a cartoon T shirt.

FACT - Women don't automatically fall in love with guys that disturb the peace - it works just the opposite. But if you want to attract guys, MAKE IT LOUD.

HarryJeepGuy 08-02-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrich
Still looking for the one that makes the same sound as it does with the engine OFF!

I don't want to hear yours, and you don't want to hear mine.

Silence is a lost art.

If you want to impress little kids - get a cartoon T shirt.

FACT - Women don't automatically fall in love with guys that disturb the peace - it works just the opposite. But if you want to attract guys, MAKE IT LOUD.

You can have my old stock one that I just took off. It was completely quiet... Probably damn near plugged though. The main difference I noticed when I put on the Banks is the engine sound went from the front of the Jeep to the rear. Lower pitch, little throaty at idle, great sounding gurgle when engine braking down hills. I really don't think it's loud, but I've heard they get louder as they get older. I don't like loud exhausts in most cases, so I hope it doesn't get that way. I'll check back in if it does.

Oh, and I want to thank you for the tip on the kerosene manual transmission flush. Between it and changing from Pennzoil Synchromesh to Redline MTL there is a hell of an improvement in my NV3550, and I didn't have any real complaints before. Better than when I got it over 100k miles ago. Thanks again.

shanes04wrangler 08-02-2012 09:48 PM

thats what i meant by cali setup, theres 3 cats on the system and even with no muffler its not super loud. every car i own i run it open to hear what it sounds like with no muffler lol started my jeep and hit the gas then shut it of and said that was gay lol but yea my banks is nice. Its like having it st8 piped but not as raspy.

shanes04wrangler 08-02-2012 09:49 PM

yea i would not move to cali just because of there laws. wish i still lived in d town but at the same time that place sucks too now

1stDeuce 08-03-2012 12:15 AM

Actually, you can make a straight six sound good, but not by just replacing the muffler. Check into clifford performance. They have a split front header that will make your straight six sound like a V-8 if you run dual exhaust. It splits the cylinders up in a way that gives it a left-left-right-left-right-right-left... exhaust note that sounds stellar regardless of what mufflers you put on it.

Surprised that nobody else has a Gibson system. I think it's probably comparable to the dynomax system that a lot of you have though. No drone, but there is some actual exhaust noise that gets out. :)

shanes04wrangler 08-03-2012 12:19 AM

yea i just looked up that header on line and i want one now lol

Derp 08-03-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stDeuce
Actually, you can make a straight six sound good, but not by just replacing the muffler. Check into clifford performance. They have a split front header that will make your straight six sound like a V-8 if you run dual exhaust. It splits the cylinders up in a way that gives it a left-left-right-left-right-right-left... exhaust note that sounds stellar regardless of what mufflers you put on it.

Surprised that nobody else has a Gibson system. I think it's probably comparable to the dynomax system that a lot of you have though. No drone, but there is some actual exhaust noise that gets out. :)

Too bad I live in California......

DeanR-805 08-15-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stDeuce (Post 2649143)
Actually, you can make a straight six sound good, but not by just replacing the muffler. Check into clifford performance. They have a split front header that will make your straight six sound like a V-8 if you run dual exhaust. It splits the cylinders up in a way that gives it a left-left-right-left-right-right-left... exhaust note that sounds stellar regardless of what mufflers you put on it.

Surprised that nobody else has a Gibson system. I think it's probably comparable to the dynomax system that a lot of you have though. No drone, but there is some actual exhaust noise that gets out. :)

My dad has a Gibson catback system on his 02 WJ. It sounds really clean and isn't too loud. Only a little louder then stock.

Anurieli365 01-08-2016 09:35 AM

MBRP performance exhaust system sounds beautiful and it uses slightly wider pipes so you can kind of feel a slight performance gain


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.