Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Minnesota Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f80/)
-   -   Side Mirrors? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f80/side-mirrors-178200.html)

XpressoBeans 08-04-2012 01:00 PM

Side Mirrors?

Hey there,
I was reading the MN rules on Mirrors and it seemed somewhat tricky. do we or do we not need side mirrors when the doors are off? The way I am reading it.. as long as I have my rearview mirror I am ok? But i dont wanna pry the doors off and get some Edina Cop on me!:nonono:

XpressoBeans 08-04-2012 01:09 PM

MN Statute

Quote:

Originally Posted by XpressoBeans (Post 2652894)
Hey there,
I was reading the MN rules on Mirrors and it seemed somewhat tricky. do we or do we not need side mirrors when the doors are off? The way I am reading it.. as long as I have my rearview mirror I am ok? But i dont wanna pry the doors off and get some Edina Cop on me!:nonono:

Here is the Statute which is SO wishy washy.:rofl:

Originally Posted by revisor.leg.state.mn.us
169.70 REAR VIEW MIRROR.
Every motor vehicle which is so constructed, loaded or connected with another vehicle as
to obstruct the driver's view to the rear thereof from the driver's position shall be equipped with
a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least
200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
History: (2720-259) 1937 c 464 s 109

jppower 08-05-2012 11:51 PM

I spoke to a friend fresh out of police school (whatever they call it) and he says you need all 3. But I also am not sure if he was going better safe then sorry. He also made the statement it depends on the cop.

XpressoBeans 08-06-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppower (Post 2656931)
I spoke to a friend fresh out of police school (whatever they call it) and he says you need all 3. But I also am not sure if he was going better safe then sorry. He also made the statement it depends on the cop.

grrrr.. thats why i want a straight answer LOL

Love the blue of your jeep by the way!

jppower 08-07-2012 12:01 PM

One thing that I have been looking into is grabbing a pair of motorcycle mirrors like from Harley, I have been told those fit the hinge just fine and best of all some of the selections are fairly cheap.

Daniels Jeep 08-08-2012 07:23 AM

I have been driving all summer with the doors off, and have not been stopped by the police. Being slightly paranoid, I did print out copies of both the MN and WI statutes and put them in the glove box. I figured I could have a polite discussion with the officer if I ever was pulled over.

However, I was really missing having the side mirrors. I recently installed a set of mirrors made by forum member Defiant Systems. They are solid and don't vibrate at highway speeds. Here's a link to his thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/of...ms-171360.html

The mirrors are slightly convex, so they give a nice panoramic view behind. But objects are closer than they appear! :)

Jmhu228 08-08-2012 07:37 AM

I've never been stopped for the five years I've had my jeep and never heard of anyone being stopped either. You'll probably be ok IMO

XpressoBeans 08-08-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmhu228 (Post 2664341)
I've never been stopped for the five years I've had my jeep and never heard of anyone being stopped either. You'll probably be ok IMO

Thanks guys for the tips. I am envious of the guys with the doors off, but paranoid to be pulled over. Might have to rip the doors off tomorrow and take my chances :)

I like the idea of printing the statute so i can ask the officer if i do get pulled over ;)

XpressoBeans 08-12-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XpressoBeans (Post 2664976)
Thanks guys for the tips. I am envious of the guys with the doors off, but paranoid to be pulled over. Might have to rip the doors off tomorrow and take my chances :)

I like the idea of printing the statute so i can ask the officer if i do get pulled over ;)

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...s/e9467cf1.jpg

Took em off today.. so fun!!!!

Daniels Jeep 08-12-2012 11:16 AM

Lookin' good! :thumb:

jppower 08-16-2012 04:55 PM

Let us know if you get busted ;-)

XpressoBeans 08-16-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppower (Post 2691754)
Let us know if you get busted ;-)

hahahah THANKS ;)
I know I had a cop behind me while I was cruising Lake Harriet and they didnt pull me over. so heres to hoping..

gorski00 08-21-2012 08:49 AM

I think (with the exception of Edina) most of those guys are going to have bigger fish to fry.

Pulling my doors tonight to enjoy the last few days of summer!

CiDZillA 08-26-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorski00 (Post 2707279)
I think (with the exception of Edina) most of those guys are going to have bigger fish to fry.

Pulling my doors tonight to enjoy the last few days of summer!

I lol'd

I work in Edina and can confirm that Edina cops do not have enough to do. :whistling:

XpressoBeans 08-26-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiDZillA (Post 2726485)
I lol'd

I work in Edina and can confirm that Edina cops do not have enough to do. :whistling:

I work in Edina as well.. So thats why I was nervous to rip the doors off. I know in my home area of LakeCalhoun I was ok.. but Edina... Pshshssh

Batjeep09 08-26-2012 03:00 PM

In Texas you just need a rearview

Mirror, no side mirrors needed if doors are off.