Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Any other vegetarian/vegan Jeep owners? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/any-other-vegetarian-vegan-jeep-owners-178624.html)

x My Jeep Romance x 08-06-2012 01:42 PM

Any other vegetarian/vegan Jeep owners?

Hey Jeepers ^__^
I've been vegan for two years now, and I convinced my parents to go as well. I'd love to meet some fellow vegs on this forum!

DeweysMom 08-06-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x My Jeep Romance x (Post 2658315)
Hey Jeepers ^__^
I've been vegan for two years now, and I convinced my parents to go as well. I'd love to meet some fellow vegs on this forum!

I've thought about it more than once...and I try to go vegetarian 2 or 3 days a week. I have a really good recipe for vegetarian chili using tempeh, but Dewey's Mom can't live on veggie chili alone! :eek:

What is your fave thing to cook? How do you change the mind set of an omnivore? I know I would feel better, but it's so easy for me to slip. I know this is a lifestyle change...it's not something you just do without careful planning. :thumb:

x My Jeep Romance x 08-08-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeweysMom (Post 2658368)
I've thought about it more than once...and I try to go vegetarian 2 or 3 days a week. I have a really good recipe for vegetarian chili using tempeh, but Dewey's Mom can't live on veggie chili alone! :eek:

What is your fave thing to cook? How do you change the mind set of an omnivore? I know I would feel better, but it's so easy for me to slip. I know this is a lifestyle change...it's not something you just do without careful planning. :thumb:

Vegetarian chili is amazing! I don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you are, but they make the best veg chili. You should definitely check it out!

I loveee Japanese food, so my favorite thing to make is sushi. My mom is a huge baker, so I make desserts and bread and stuff with her too.
The main thing I like to bring up about vegetarianism is the health benefits. The best way to prevent cancer, diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, obesity, etc. is by going veg. Unfortunately, most omnivores don't consider this view until they already have all those health issues ):
I'm very glad that you're considering vegetarianism!! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Chrispy 08-08-2012 06:26 PM

:thumb:Well…. I didn’t claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat just vegetables.:D
But if you are vegan...how does sushi fit in?:confused: just asking

x My Jeep Romance x 08-08-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy (Post 2666137)
:thumb:Well…. I didn’t claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat just vegetables.:D
But if you are vegan...how does sushi fit in?:confused: just asking

vegan sushi = sticky rice with any kind of vegetable you can think of (or tofu) wrapped in toasted nori, dipped in wasabi/soy sauce (:
I also make vegan rice balls (very similar to sushi, but with more room for the filling), dango (sweet dough balls), and fried tofu in a delicious miso sauce! :D I like Japanese food because it is very easy to make vegan. They already eat loads of tofu and vegetables, so take out the fish, and voila!

All in Red 08-23-2012 08:48 PM

I have been vegan for 2 years now, and I've never felt better! The health benefits of being a vegan are a plus. The real reason I became a vegan though is to help stop the cruelty that so many animals endure.

Factory farming is a legalized crime in this country. It's very sad.

Cooking and baking vegan has become so easy. With all the cookbooks and vegan products available in stores.

mstjwrangler 08-23-2012 08:58 PM

Vegetarian for a little over 2 years now.

BobsWranglerYJ 08-24-2012 10:52 AM

In transition

Thought about it for a while for health and ethical reasons. Watched some videos on Hulu that pushed me over the edge. Forks Over Knives, Future of Food and King Corn. Still trying to empty the freezer. All the best

mstjwrangler 08-24-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWranglerYJ
Thought about it for a while for health and ethical reasons. Watched some videos on Hulu that pushed me over the edge. Forks Over Knives, Future of Food and King Corn. Still trying to empty the freezer. All the best

Haven't seen the King Corn one. Forks Over Knives was good though.

DeweysMom 08-25-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x My Jeep Romance x (Post 2666073)
Vegetarian chili is amazing! I don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you are, but they make the best veg chili. You should definitely check it out!

I loveee Japanese food, so my favorite thing to make is sushi. My mom is a huge baker, so I make desserts and bread and stuff with her too.
The main thing I like to bring up about vegetarianism is the health benefits. The best way to prevent cancer, diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, obesity, etc. is by going veg. Unfortunately, most omnivores don't consider this view until they already have all those health issues ):
I'm very glad that you're considering vegetarianism!! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Yes we have TJ's here, but I haven't seen veggie chili. I buy their tempeh & use that in my chili.

Yah, I'm one of those who are considering AFTER I'm already down with one of those diseases. I've made drastic changes to my diet, but I still could pare down on the meat. I indulge much more in fruit & veggies, as well as beans for the protein aspect. We need all of the building blocks to keep our bodies functioning optimally.

Tell me, what do you use for protein replacements? And THANK YOU for being so encouraging. I hate when ppl shake a finger, at least I try. I hate seeing my docs, all they do is tell me what I'm doing wrong, but never what I'm doing right. It is very discouraging.

To someone who mentioned sushi, the only sushi I eat is vegetarian! I can't
stand the thought of eating raw fish. I know they make sushi with cooked fish, but I steer clear of that. That's just me. :punk:

mstjwrangler 08-25-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeweysMom

Yes we have TJ's here, but I haven't seen veggie chili. I buy their tempeh & use that in my chili.

Yah, I'm one of those who are considering AFTER I'm already down with one of those diseases. I've made drastic changes to my diet, but I still could pare down on the meat. I indulge much more in fruit & veggies, as well as beans for the protein aspect. We need all of the building blocks to keep our bodies functioning optimally.

Tell me, what do you use for protein replacements? And THANK YOU for being so encouraging. I hate when ppl shake a finger, at least I try. I hate seeing my docs, all they do is tell me what I'm doing wrong, but never what I'm doing right. It is very discouraging.

To someone who mentioned sushi, the only sushi I eat is vegetarian! I can't
stand the thought of eating raw fish. I know they make sushi with cooked fish, but I steer clear of that. That's just me. :punk:

I get my protein from a combo of black beans in burritos or even sandwiches, almond milk in cereal, trail mix that's basically nuts and seeds...

If you're not a vegan.. throwing eggs in a meal is a good option. Whether its a veggie omelette, a sandwich or even mixed in with some brown rice, peas and carrots.

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for cheese so a lot of the time I'll end up having a cheese pizza, a bean and cheese burrito or pasta with pasta sauce and cheese poured on top. These options, as I know u can tell, aren't the best. Lol. Daiya cheese is a good dairy substitute, but I tend to prefer the real thing. :-D

I've done a lot of reading up and watching videos on this kinda stuff and something I've learned is to try to take it easy on the soy products. They're not BAD but there is something in soy that mocks estrogen and when u get too much of it, it can mess with your body chemistry. Tofu is something I use on occasion but try not to make my main source of protein.

Quinoa and things of that nature can be good too I've heard. I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen though so these kinda things are still a little intimidating to me. :-)

DeweysMom 08-27-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstjwrangler (Post 2723849)
I get my protein from a combo of black beans in burritos or even sandwiches, almond milk in cereal, trail mix that's basically nuts and seeds...

If you're not a vegan.. throwing eggs in a meal is a good option. Whether its a veggie omelette, a sandwich or even mixed in with some brown rice, peas and carrots.

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for cheese so a lot of the time I'll end up having a cheese pizza, a bean and cheese burrito or pasta with pasta sauce and cheese poured on top. These options, as I know u can tell, aren't the best. Lol. Daiya cheese is a good dairy substitute, but I tend to prefer the real thing. :-D

I've done a lot of reading up and watching videos on this kinda stuff and something I've learned is to try to take it easy on the soy products. They're not BAD but there is something in soy that mocks estrogen and when u get too much of it, it can mess with your body chemistry. Tofu is something I use on occasion but try not to make my main source of protein.

Quinoa and things of that nature can be good too I've heard. I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen though so these kinda things are still a little intimidating to me. :-)

Cheese is so good!!! I tried some fake cheese one time and it about turned my stomach.

Tofu is ok but only certain kinds, I don't like the real soft stuff. And I can't say I have cooked with it yet. If it's something to stay away from somewhat, then I can do that. When I eat Thai food, I usually have veggies with firm tofu. It is quite tasty!

Switched to almond milk, or rice milk. I love nuts too. I would like to try quinoa, when I have a chance. I will look at Trader Joes, I think they have it. I can make a pilaf with it, or something else.

It's hard when you work all the time, to get busy in the kitchen. I usually cook during the week and then use that during the week. Summers I don't like cooking at all, so I try to eat a lot of salad.

I put Forks over Knives on my netflix queue! Should be interesting! Thanks again for the suggestions! :thumb:

mstjwrangler 08-27-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Cheese is so good!!! I tried some fake cheese one time and it about turned my stomach.

Tofu is ok but only certain kinds, I don't like the real soft stuff. And I can't say I have cooked with it yet. If it's something to stay away from somewhat, then I can do that. When I eat Thai food, I usually have veggies with firm tofu. It is quite tasty!

Switched to almond milk, or rice milk. I love nuts too. I would like to try quinoa, when I have a chance. I will look at Trader Joes, I think they have it. I can make a pilaf with it, or something else.

It's hard when you work all the time, to get busy in the kitchen. I usually cook during the week and then use that during the week. Summers I don't like cooking at all, so I try to eat a lot of salad.

I put Forks over Knives on my netflix queue! Should be interesting! Thanks again for the suggestions! :thumb:

The only time I think I've had non-dairy cheese was at this place in DC. All their food was vegan. It was nice being able to eat ANYTHING on the menu. They made vegan mac and cheese and vegan cheesecake. Mmmmmm! That cheesecake was actually pretty amazing! The Mac and cheese was good too but it was much different than the actual thing.

When I have a super busy schedule I'll make a salad with spinach, avocado, green olives, feta and lemon juice as dressing and take it with me. DIVINE!

traitor08 08-27-2012 10:08 PM

I like to hunt, that should answer the question. I don't even know a vegetarian.

watson 08-27-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All in Red
I have been vegan for 2 years now, and I've never felt better! The health benefits of being a vegan are a plus. The real reason I became a vegan though is to help stop the cruelty that so many animals endure.

Factory farming is a legalized crime in this country. It's very sad.

Cooking and baking vegan has become so easy. With all the cookbooks and vegan products available in stores.

Unfortunately it is a necessary evil. Billions of humans would starve to death without factory farming.

PecosRiver 08-28-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 2731926)
I like to hunt, that should answer the question. I don't even know a vegetarian.

Sure you do, the animals you hunt are most likely vegetarians. :rofl:

I have many vegan/vegetarian friends and while I eat the food served at their homes, when it comes right down to it, I love a nice rare piece of beef. I have dropped my consumption of it to once a week, but I couldn't stomach a strict vegan or vegetarian diet. Kudos to those that are vegans, but it's not for me.

x My Jeep Romance x 08-28-2012 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Tell me, what do you use for protein replacements?

Here's a great picture I found on the Internet yesterday:

Attachment 154770

chucky cheese 08-28-2012 01:16 PM

Sounds like it is tuff to be a vegan. First is the constipation issue, (what happens in vegans stays in vegans.) Then you have to change your vocabulary. You cannot refer to getting new tires as new meat on the jeep. Also you cannot ham it up at a party or chew the fat with friends. Tight clothes are a no no because they make you look like a sausage. You cannot go out and bust your chops. You cannot have an opinion on Chic-Filet. You cannot throw a bone to struggling friends. You cannot do the chicken dance. But worst of all you cannot go to a jeep MEAT and greet!

Peepers 08-28-2012 01:27 PM

All you brutes! Think of all the poor vegetables y'all are slaughtering every day...

At least the vegetables are free range...
:include:

All in Red 08-28-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08

Why are you even posting on this thread??

All in Red 08-28-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watson

Unfortunately it is a necessary evil. Billions of humans would starve to death without factory farming.

All the soy and grains the factory farmed animals are fed could feed the billions of people in the world.

Meat is the most inefficient and wasteful form of protein.

So are you for the animal abuse that happens daily in the slaughterhouses? Is a hamburger that important to you that a cow had to endure suffering by being kicked and beat with steel rods?

x My Jeep Romance x 08-28-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucky cheese
Sounds like it is tuff to be a vegan. First is the constipation issue, (what happens in vegans stays in vegans.) Then you have to change your vocabulary. You cannot refer to getting new tires as new meat on the jeep. Also you cannot ham it up at a party or chew the fat with friends. Tight clothes are a no no because they make you look like a sausage. You cannot go out and bust your chops. You cannot have an opinion on Chic-Filet. You cannot throw a bone to struggling friends. You cannot do the chicken dance. But worst of all you cannot go to a jeep MEAT and greet!

You sure put a lot of work into a post that doesn't make any sense!
Let the stupidly defensive meathead comments begin. Who invited y'all anyway? Do you want me to go hijack the WF Hunting thread?

chucky cheese 08-28-2012 03:49 PM

Relax Francis, just trying to inject a little humor. DR. Hiendlick Manoover was right "Lack of animal protein makes people testy and defensive killjoys." Oh by the way do you have to change the radio channel if Meatloaf comes on? With that I will leave you with an arabic goodbye Salami Salami Bolongna.

x My Jeep Romance x 08-28-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucky cheese
Relax Francis, just trying to inject a little humor. DR. Hiendlick Manoover was right "Lack of animal protein makes people testy and defensive killjoys." Oh by the way do you have to change the radio channel if Meatloaf comes on? With that I will leave you with an arabic goodbye Salami Salami Bolongna.

As a matter of a fact, I am a Killjoy, but for reasons you'll never understand. Have a nice day!

IndyJeepMan 08-28-2012 04:17 PM

So hunting animals, killing them instantly and not wasting a scrap of meat is bad?

No pain, no hurting just meat for me!

mstjwrangler 08-28-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan
So hunting animals, killing them instantly and not wasting a scrap of meat is bad?

No pain, no hurting just meat for me!

I don't think most vegetarians have an issue with that. There are a lot of reasons people become vegetarians. I think most who don't eat meat because of the humility thing don't care if an animal is killed as long as it's done in the way you're referring to. They're just touchy about the ones that are treated poorly in order to kill them or throughout the rest of their lives. I'm a vegetarian and I plan on going hunting this fall but it'll be my family that eats the meat from anything I kill.

All in Red 08-28-2012 04:55 PM

I do not go on your hunting threads and talk about how hunting is a horrible sport. I respect your actions and opinions enough to stay away and not look
for trouble.

If your bored and are just looking to cause an disagreement maybe you should turn that extra energy into doing something productive.

IndyJeepMan 08-28-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All in Red
I do not go on your hunting threads and talk about how hunting is a horrible sport. I respect your actions and opinions enough to stay away and not look
for trouble.

If your bored and are just looking to cause an disagreement maybe you should turn that extra energy into doing something productive.

Before! You blast me, I was asking a question to those whom would have the opinion to answer such question.

All in Red 08-28-2012 06:13 PM

Here is my opinion on hunting. Since you are looking for one. Killing of any animal in a factory farm situation or hunting is wrong to me.

I did not join this thread to convert meat eaters to be vegan. I only wanted to converse with like minded people. You put yourself up to this by posting on this thread.

schnutzy 08-28-2012 06:26 PM

all yall that are strict vegans, more power to ya. that is not an easy lifestyle choice and i must give you props. it is not quite my cup of tea, but to each their own. I do love tofu though. however my few attempts at cooking it have been less then successful.