Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   steering system upgrades? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/steering-system-upgrades-178854.html)

fmftj 08-07-2012 12:17 PM

steering system upgrades?

Alright guys so its time to start looking at upgrading my stock steering system to something better I.E. strength and handling. Right now i have a 3.25" RC lift. I know everyone states CURRIE is hands down the best but id like to hear what other people think. Either inverted T, 1 ton, OTK. i just like to hear who has had experience in this and hear what they like most or what they didnt like. thanks for you time guys.

Imped 08-07-2012 12:28 PM

What's your budget and what's your level of capability?

Regardless of the answers to the above questions, considering the downgrade to any variation of the inverted T flavor is a poor idea.

UnlimitedLJ04 08-07-2012 12:28 PM

there is only two steering systems to consider. the V8 ZJ tie-rod upgrade or Currie. if you don't want the Currie, then get a V8 ZJ tie-rod from NAPA.

inverted-T is a waste of time.
OTK is over the knuckle. to do this steering right you're looking at major modifications, which sometimes include lots of fabrication, notching the frame and knuckle swaps.
and what do you mean 1-ton? what kind? what brand? what geometry?

fmftj 08-07-2012 12:32 PM

My budget would be around 400, as in capability, i cant weld and have no air tools. as of no how im decent, far from mechanic but i did my lift my self so thats about it. and i really didnt know there were types and geometry to a 1 ton, i pretty much thought that was just beefier hardware.

Imped 08-07-2012 01:22 PM

Then you need to follow unlimited's advice to a T. There are very lengthy discussions on other forums about this subject. Check them out and you'll learn that successfully implementing a crossover/WJ setup requires much more than the ability to weld.

fmftj 08-07-2012 01:59 PM

Thak you very much guys, i appreciate it.

98 tj sport 08-07-2012 02:50 PM

Like unlimited said go to ur local auto parts store and get a zj tie rod and end which replaces the stock one with a much beefier end and rod plus the zj rod is solid were as the tj one is hollow if I'm not mistaken this is going to be one of my next mods there is a link floating around here some were with more info but it bolts right up from what I have read

98 tj sport 08-07-2012 02:52 PM

Well I'm on mobile so it won't let me post a link but search for this

ZJ Tie rod swap

That's the title of the thread and it has all the info u need as well as a link with pictures

Skol-Vikes 08-07-2012 03:48 PM

Some good info there on the swap. I was looking at some other options that were double that price. I don't know this option was out there until today. Thanks! :wavey:

98 tj sport 08-07-2012 03:51 PM

No problem I was in the same boat till I saw it and saw it is almost the same as the currie and cost like half as much

UnlimitedLJ04 08-07-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 tj sport (Post 2662276)
No problem I was in the same boat till I saw it and saw it is almost the same as the currie and cost like half as much

don't be mistaken, there are very big and clear differences between the V8 ZJ tie-rod and the Currie steering. and the price difference is much bigger than half.

Imped 08-08-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 tj sport (Post 2662276)

Not even close. :thumb: