Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Spare Tire Mounting Bracket Hardware?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/spare-tire-mounting-bracket-hardware-17913.html)

603TJ 04-22-2008 07:53 PM

Spare Tire Mounting Bracket Hardware??

Currently I do not have a spare tire mounted on my vehicle. Or the spare tire bracket... I have recognized the obvious stupidity of not having a spare tire onboard. I still have the spare tire bracket but definitely not the bolts to re-mount it to my tailgate. Anybody have a solution for me? :banghead:

Scout 04-22-2008 07:54 PM

Can't you just buy some new bolts from the hardware store?

603TJ 04-22-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 221374)
Can't you just buy some new bolts from the hardware store?

Of course. but before I go there and ask if I can take one of every bolt out to my jeep so I can test each one, I figure I'd ask here and save me the time:D

juspimpin 04-22-2008 09:46 PM

I can only get you closer...maybe
I used grade 8 and with the size there was only one pitch in the drawer at Lowes...3/8 I think...if that is not it it is 5/16 or 7/16. You will want about 1-1.5 inches in length. You can go to lowes and just tell the bolt guy what your doing and walk out with them to test. I have many times. If you are not comfortable with that, buy a couple, and return/repurchase the ones you want on same visit. Test in parking lot without going home. I redid my stock carrier to hold a 35 by using a 2x4 as a spacer and longer bolts from lowes.

603TJ 04-23-2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juspimpin (Post 221420)
I can only get you closer...maybe
I used grade 8 and with the size there was only one pitch in the drawer at Lowes...3/8 I think...if that is not it it is 5/16 or 7/16. You will want about 1-1.5 inches in length. You can go to lowes and just tell the bolt guy what your doing and walk out with them to test. I have many times. If you are not comfortable with that, buy a couple, and return/repurchase the ones you want on same visit. Test in parking lot without going home. I redid my stock carrier to hold a 35 by using a 2x4 as a spacer and longer bolts from lowes.

thanks!

richp 04-23-2008 07:30 AM

Go find a local hardware store, it will require about 200 yards less walking and they never blink when you say 'can I try this'. I went to sears to get a Torx socket, they wanted me to buy the 3 I wanted to try then return the two I didn't need. Screw that, my times worth more to me, besides I'd rather support the local then the big box stores. LOL, my local hardware store has been stocking and selling nuts and bolts for over a 100 years, I've seen boxes there dated 1908, if you can't find it there they don't make it... they even have original hand cut nails for cristsake. It was a sad day when they did away with the gun section, it was nice going in for some nuts and bolts then picking up a box .45's.