Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New Jeep Owner - Extended Warranty Q (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-jeep-owner-extended-warranty-q-179143.html)

jdhuntley 08-08-2012 05:41 PM

New Jeep Owner - Extended Warranty Q

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

After thinking of getting a Jeep for over a year we finally did it this weekend! We traded in our practical, dependable Toyota Corolla and got a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. This will be our secondary vehicle, used for short trips and to pull behind our RV. So far, we love the Jeep! We took the top off and have been driving it all over the place. My family is already really enjoying it.

The Jeep is in good condition, from what I can tell. The engine idles quietly, no knocking, etc. It has 134k miles on it. I assume all the major components are original (motor, transmission, transfer case, etc.).

The dealer offered me an extended warranty and I have 2 weeks to decide. Normally I'd say no but given the high mileage, I'm contemplating the investment. The warranty will cost $1,050. It covers the drive train components, oil changes, etc. It goes for 2 years or 24k miles. I've attached it for some experts to review.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Should I spring for the warranty? I welcome and appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

thanks,
Jason

terpsmandan 08-08-2012 06:07 PM

It will not cover the clutch BC that is a wear item. Not bad coverage for 134K. Ask them if they can do better on the price.

hambubba 08-08-2012 07:48 PM

I got one on my '01. But since it is so PERFECT, I'll probably not use the warranty at all. Better to make sure if it covers drive train 100%, I'd do it.

jdhuntley 08-08-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpsmandan (Post 2666068)
It will not cover the clutch BC that is a wear item. Not bad coverage for 134K. Ask them if they can do better on the price.

thanks. It's actually an automatic transmission. Does that change your opinion?

thinkxingu 08-09-2012 05:00 AM

If you add up oil changes, you're somewhere around $200 (assuming every 5k and $40 each), which means you'd be paying $800 for two years of coverage (since it looks like you won't break the mileage restriction). I think that's a pretty good deal for a high mileage vehicle, especially if it covers most of the loan.

thinkxingu 08-09-2012 05:01 AM

Congrats, by the way- enjoy!

Atthehop 08-09-2012 06:16 AM

I would read the fine fine print before buying these type of policies, especially for a vehicle with so many miles. Been in the auto business for over 40 years and my experience with trying to collect is not very good. A good example is they will pay for the failed part but not anything that fails because of the failed part.

SurfKaster 08-09-2012 07:37 AM

I bought my 01 with 129K 2 1/2 years ago & now have 167k. Outside of routine maintenance she's been solid (although I suspect my syncro gears might be on the way out). Tough call.

Jerry Bransford 08-09-2012 09:03 AM

Extended warranty providers will use every trick and technique in the book to void their warranty and avoid paying for a repair that should have been covered. In the case of a Jeep, they'll blame any modifications you do, even simply a slightly larger tire size, and say it created more stress which caused the failure.

Don't buy it. Put the $$$ you'd pay for the warranty into the bank. :)

sparky 08-09-2012 10:38 AM

^ I agree. Extended warrenties are a high profit center. A grand for two years is expensive. Pass.

ninjaturtle0 08-09-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2668019)
Extended warranty providers will use every trick and technique in the book to void their warranty and avoid paying for a repair that should have been covered. In the case of a Jeep, they'll blame any modifications you do, even simply a slightly larger tire size, and say it created more stress which caused the failure.

Don't buy it. Put the $$$ you'd pay for the warranty into the bank. :)

X2 agreed!

Here my experience. Just brought my Jeep last month and the dealer sold me a 2 year warranty 24K miles for $2200.00. awesome I thought.

Took my Jeep to a 4x4 shop last week for an inspection and they called warranty company because the fine print says mechanic must call BEFORE any work is done in. In case they find something the warranty will cover. The company told them and me that my Jeep isn't covered because it has a lift... Voids the warranty and they told me to go through dealer for a refund... Since the dealer gets commission on the sale of warranty they tried to play run around until I got a hold of management... wasn't pretty.

Call the warranty company and ask questions on coverage and tell them what mods are on there bc you don't want to find out when the time comes for a unexpected repair that you were ripped off...