Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Air Intake (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/air-intake-17927.html)

vin211 04-23-2008 07:31 AM

Air Intake

Hey guys,

I've been debating a new air intake for my stock Wrangler. Yes I have already upgraded the sound system with Boston Acoustic speakers forward and aft with an Alpine head.

Anywho, a fellow Jeeper where I work suggested I check out rustysoffroad.com

I found the following air intake package.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=PER_AIR

What do you guys think? I have read other posts about how the K&N does more damage than good.

Smeghead 04-23-2008 08:31 AM

Damage to your wallet and almost no good to your performance.

Jma20a 04-23-2008 11:32 AM

you can get one off ebay for cheap, it helped a little but i gained some throttle response and the gas mileage went up slightley

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...pintake001.jpg

richp 04-23-2008 11:41 AM

The only one of those fancy intakes that are worth anything practical in my book is the ARB snorkel. At least it has *some* functionality.

Jerry Bransford 04-23-2008 12:30 PM

If anyone thinks their aftermarket air intake actually improved fuel economy, they have been taking too many placebo pills. Power-wise, I personally don't believe they do anything there either. They are louder, no doubt, which leads me to believe most who claim power gains are just hearing the louder air intake noise and again succumbing to the placebo effect.

Those so-called "dyno tests" in the Jeep/4x4 rags are so misleading, they're primarily there to help their advertisers sell more product. At least in MY personal opinion. :p

sailsurf7713 04-23-2008 01:44 PM

The Wrangler's air cleaner assembly and throttle body are pretty restrictive. Although a C.A.I. is a big no no near where water crossings are inevitable, I would imagine a C.A.I, throttle body, and exhaust would net at least a noticable gain in fuel efficiency, however you'll probably never make up the money you spend on these items up in gas savings. If you delete the clutch fan and install a electric fan in its place, you'll definitely see a bit of power come back by limiting parasitic drag and fuel efficiency increase. A/C compressor can be deleted to decrease drag also.

For actual power, you're looking at forced induction, cam, heads, stroker, etc. Gears offer less strain on the motor, which translates to more torque getting to the street lower in the revs.

Rule of thumb is: money = power. However a few simple bolt ons can be had cheap and better the driving experience, just more than likely you're not gonna make up for money spent due to gas mileage gains. Better off with a beater civic.

Jerry Bransford 04-23-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 (Post 221682)
The Wrangler's air cleaner assembly and throttle body are pretty restrictive.

Actually they're not, especially if you compare them to some engines like the Mustang 5.0L or Z-28. This is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, in that senior Jeep engineer Jim Repp has confirmed several times (once to me personally) that they purposely designed the TJ's air intake to be non-restrictive. Jim is considered by most to be the "father of the Jeep Rubicon" and has been at Jeep since it was owned by AMC. He's one of their most senior engineers who really knows all the ins and outs of Jeeps. He's helped me personally several times.

Aftermarket air intake manufacturers want us all to believe that all air intakes are restrictive but not all are. And certainly not in the case of the TJ's 4.0L. Heck even the rumored restriction of the air intake's horn was recently proven to be false by dyno tests. By the way, the purpose of that horn is two-fold... one to position the air intake higher so it is less apt to suck in water during a water crossing, and second to speed up the air velocity through the air intake so it is quieter.

Less restrictive air intakes will help some vehicles a lot, like the above mentioned Mustang 5.0L and Camaro Z28, but not the TJ 4.0L engine. :)

Smeghead 04-23-2008 03:01 PM

but it DOES look cool

sailsurf7713 04-25-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 221684)
Actually they're not, especially if you compare them to some engines like the Mustang 5.0L or Z-28. This is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, in that senior Jeep engineer Jim Repp has confirmed several times (once to me personally) that they purposely designed the TJ's air intake to be non-restrictive. Jim is considered by most to be the "father of the Jeep Rubicon" and has been at Jeep since it was owned by AMC. He's one of their most senior engineers who really knows all the ins and outs of Jeeps. He's helped me personally several times.

My apologies. I didn't realize the 4.0's intake is quite a bit different than the 2.5. It does look pretty good. The one on my 2.5 however, from my stand point, as an engineering major with an ok knowledge of fluid mechanics leads me to believe an intake on a 2.5 would be beneficial.

Hebera 04-30-2008 06:54 PM

I also have the same intake that is pictured a little further up the page and I found that performance after 3000 rpm got a little better but i did gain about two mpg city and three or four highway. For fifty buck it was a good investment plus it looks pretty nice

Hebera 04-30-2008 06:55 PM

Also the one for the I6 has a heat block off kit with it.

Triple88a 05-01-2008 12:34 AM

Some one did a test on snorkel vs stock.. the temperatures at the intake manifold were about 30-35 degrees F lower with the snorkel. Many say you will have the "ram" effect.. The pressure was barely affected in his test. I looked it at some website when searching through yahoo.