Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Broken motor mount what are my options? (

kecksnext 08-10-2012 10:51 AM

Broken motor mount what are my options?
I broke the motor mount bracket off the Jeep and have some concerns about replacing it. The bracket is the drivers side on a 99 TJ 4.0. I'm in Puerto Rico so replacement block is not exactly an option. Any help might just get a bottle of the finest rum for the poster with fix that works. I'm Jeepless!!!

PS. This is my daily driver so I'm dbl screwed.

Thanks in advance.

GoldenSahara00 08-10-2012 11:06 AM

Why can't you get a replacement? Brown dog is a good option.

Weld it, make your own of you can't get one shipped?

kecksnext 08-10-2012 11:08 AM

If you look at the pic the 2 bolt holes on the block are busted away. I can only get the screws to bite on maybe 3 or 4 threads.

GoldenSahara00 08-10-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by kecksnext
If you look at the pic the 2 bolt holes on the block are busted away. I can only get the screws to bite on maybe 3 or 4 threads.

Sorry I'm on my phone but I took a look now. Ouch, how did that happen? You could weld a new mount to the block instead of bolts.

So both holes will bite? Or just one. You could get slightly longer bolts and see how deep they will thread.

kecksnext 08-10-2012 11:31 AM

Puerto Rico traffic got me this time. Both holes bite just not much (around 3-3 1/2 turns each). The bolts are only 2" long maybe so I don't think there's too much room left in there.

Imped 08-10-2012 11:38 AM

Are you talking about the rubber mount of the bracket that bolts to the block?

It sounds like you need these: Heavy Duty Jeep TJ/LJ 4.0L Motor Mounts (00-06)

They use several more block bosses so you'll be good to go. I use these + BD mounts and my motor doesn't budge.

kecksnext 08-10-2012 12:03 PM

I don't see any rubber on the mount brackets. They're pretty beefy steel. I've seen a couple beefy aftermarket mounts but I already bought the replacement mount and bracket and would like to not spend another $200. Also, I only need the drivers side not the pair. I wish I could have someone fab up a plate to the original mounting bracket.

Brown Dog 08-13-2012 02:21 PM

S2572-L, Left Super Engine Bracket, 4.0L and 4.2L Jeep YJ, TJ, XJ, MJ
This is often used for your exact situation. Can be used with the Jeep-style rubber motor mounts. Shipping is $5.00 to Puerto Rico.

kecksnext 08-23-2012 08:28 PM

Had a local guy her weld up some plates to use in the open thread openings on the block. Thanks for all the replies.