Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Addicted after a week.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/addicted-after-a-week-179544.html)

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 02:46 PM

Addicted after a week....

I'm thinking about this set-up:

RK 2.5 or 3.5" X lift 3.5" lift would have the Tom Woods drive shaft
RK RRD 2.0 shocks or ?
15" wheels with 35" Duratrac's
Currie front and rear sways ( take off the front electric sway disconnect )
Tire carrier

All this on my '12 JKU Rubi.

I know, I'm going against my "leave it the f alone" attitude. I frigg'n stand it. The jeep will be driven to all destinations for off roading,not a DD.

:dance:

What say ye?

N3M0 08-10-2012 02:51 PM

cant go wrong with the RK lift OR their shocks (check out Pieface's thread on his recent purchase)

not to burst your bubble but they dont make 35x15 duratracs or should i say stopped making them (i dont know if they ever did)

tom woods drive shafts are good, also check out adams

and you'll definitely want a rear tire carrier for your new shoes

lookin good

N3M0 08-10-2012 02:53 PM

Rock Krawler 2.5 X-Factor Pics Video Review
here is pieface's thread btw (incase you havent seen it already)

pluke the 2 08-10-2012 03:24 PM

id definitely do the 3.5" lift over the 2.5" and get tom woods shafts. for shocks, i do like their 12" overall traveling shocks designed for a 4-6" kit. if you have the $$ that's what I would do. fox also makes a 4-6" shock that has a 11" travel or you could do Old man emu long travels and that gets you 12" as well. i'd relocate the shock position on the lower mount to get it away from the body of your rig, it allows for more droop and you won't destroy your $220 dollar a pair shocks.

problem is when you articulate the shock body comes into contact with the frame of the rig and overtime it could break.

iluvshoes 08-10-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N3M0 (Post 2672279)
cant go wrong with the RK lift OR their shocks (check out Pieface's thread on his recent purchase)

not to burst your bubble but they dont make 35x15 duratracs or should i say stopped making them (i dont know if they ever did)

lookin good

and new bump stops!

Cons_Table 08-10-2012 03:36 PM

I knew you werent going to be able to resist ;) haha

I think the only thing I may change is your tire choice...it is my understanding that the Duratracs are a great tire, but are only a 2 ply sidewall. Considering where we live, you may want to look into a tire with a beefier sidewall. Someone also stated that the Duratracs arent made in that size anymore anyways.

JKralph 08-10-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table

I think the only thing I may change is your tire choice...it is my understanding that the Duratracs are a great tire, but are only a 2 ply sidewall. Considering where we live, you may want to look into a tire with a beefier sidewall. Someone also stated that the Duratracs arent made in that size anymore anyways.

Rk 3.5" for sure.

I second the votes for rethinking tire choice. I really like my duratracs, but the thin sidewall makes me nervous. If you're gonna be offroading where there are sharp rocks or branches in the path, i suggest something more to the tune of a km2 or the like.

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:40 PM

Thanks guys,

Actually,the shop doing the work suggested the MT's but he also said after about 8,000 miles they start to make some noise. Not a big deal probably.

Yes, I did see Piefaces write-up and that's what got me going. The shop also suggested the 3.5" lift as well. I have to trust him and by the responses here, he is dead on. I have to drive three hours one way to get my soft top put on so I thought what the hell, do the full tilt boogie :D

Other things we are considering: cutting the fenders or just putting on flat fenders. On board air ( I currently have a new Viair 400P- might be for sale )

So, by the end of next week I should be good to go. I really love driving the jeep and the wife and I are having a blast. I just want to be able to hang with you rock crawler boys.

Jeff, I watched a video that you were in and said,"I gotta go where Cons Table" goes :dance: Karen just smiled :thumb:

Right after the work is done the wife and I are going to Moab and see if we can hook up with some locals and check that area out.

Any other suggestions would be great as I'll pass it on to the shop.

By the way,the wife said "go for it" 35 years of marriage, gotta love it!

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2672381)
id definitely do the 3.5" lift over the 2.5" and get tom woods shafts. for shocks, i do like their 12" overall traveling shocks designed for a 4-6" kit. if you have the $$ that's what I would do. fox also makes a 4-6" shock that has a 11" travel or you could do Old man emu long travels and that gets you 12" as well. i'd relocate the shock position on the lower mount to get it away from the body of your rig, it allows for more droop and you won't destroy your $220 dollar a pair shocks.

problem is when you articulate the shock body comes into contact with the frame of the rig and overtime it could break.

Thanks Pluke! I'll pass that on and by the way, I enjoy reading your posts.

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N3M0 (Post 2672279)

lookin good

No bubble pop here N3M0 and thanks!

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2672393)
and new bump stops!

Thanks Julie!

N3M0 08-10-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancientpath

No bubble pop here N3M0 and thanks!

Awesome :thumb: i want pics when its done

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 2672427)

I can't hide anything can I? You had me pegged from day one :rofl: I look forward to hanging with you in the rocks :thumb:

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N3M0 (Post 2672964)
Awesome :thumb: i want pics when its done

You got it!

Ancientpath 08-10-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKralph (Post 2672458)
Rk 3.5" for sure.

I second the votes for rethinking tire choice. I really like my duratracs, but the thin sidewall makes me nervous. If you're gonna be offroading where there are sharp rocks or branches in the path, i suggest something more to the tune of a km2 or the like.

That's what I'll do Ralph, and thanks!

Ancientpath 08-13-2012 11:12 PM

ttt

Cons_Table 08-13-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

ttt

Saw via Facebook that u dropped the jeep off to Stan at JPi :thumb:

DaK 08-14-2012 06:53 AM

Can't go wrong with the 3.5 X, you will love the way it floats through the obstacles and the flex you get from this kit.

Shame it is in the shop, we are either doing BB this weekend or Nightmare/last chance.

DaK 08-14-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 2682665)
Saw via Facebook that u dropped the jeep off to Stan at JPi :thumb:

Post up his FB link. Searched FB and got some radio station.

JPi1 08-14-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 2683229)
Post up his FB link. Searched FB and got some radio station.

Jeeperformance, inc. - Automotive - Yucaipa, CA | Facebook

JPi1 08-14-2012 08:05 AM

As the build begins, there will be coverage from start to finish.

JPi1 08-14-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancientpath (Post 2672965)
I can't hide anything can I? You had me pegged from day one :rofl: I look forward to hanging with you in the rocks :thumb:

Stan, From your posts on here, it sounds more like you want to set this up to do more rock crawling, and spending time with the guys in the rocks. If so, we need to seriously re-think this project.
Im thinking RK 3.5, or even the X factor three link. As far as tires go, I would highly recommend the Goodyear MTR kevlar sidewall. Youve seen the kind of wheeling we do, and I wouldnt run any other. As far as shocks go, I would run the fox shocks with remote reservoir, great shocks, adjustable and rebuildable. And if rocks are your thing, the Currie Antirocks are second to none.

Imped 08-14-2012 10:41 AM

^^^^^^^

Solid advice.

Ancientpath 08-14-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 2683773)
Stan, From your posts on here, it sounds more like you want to set this up to do more rock crawling, and spending time with the guys in the rocks. If so, we need to seriously re-think this project.
Im thinking RK 3.5, or even the X factor three link. As far as tires go, I would highly recommend the Goodyear MTR kevlar sidewall. Youve seen the kind of wheeling we do, and I wouldnt run any other. As far as shocks go, I would run the fox shocks with remote reservoir, great shocks, adjustable and rebuildable. And if rocks are your thing, the Currie Antirocks are second to none.

I just need bigger "rocks" to open the check book a little more :facepalm:

JKralph 08-14-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Lol you're an OK kinda guy :thumb: The Goodyear mtrk's are another great choice.

Don't forget to post pics as you build it, I'm excited to see how it turns out, considering that even if i had the rocks to open my wallet, there'd be little to nothing in there. Well, maybe a few moths :redface:

Cons_Table 08-14-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancientpath (Post 2684804)

We can find you some good size boulders if need be ;) haha

Ancientpath 08-14-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKralph (Post 2684846)
Lol you're an OK kinda guy :thumb: The Goodyear mtrk's are another great choice.

Don't forget to post pics as you build it, I'm excited to see how it turns out, considering that even if i had the rocks to open my wallet, there'd be little to nothing in there. Well, maybe a few moths :redface:

I think JPI is handling the pics on his facebook page. Maybe he can post some here.

I'm excited too and thanks for the kind words! I never agree with myself for longer than 20 mins so I'm really glad JPI quit taking my calls :rofl:

Ancientpath 08-14-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 2684856)
We can find you some good size boulders if need be ;) haha

Coming soon to your local rock pile :thumb:

JPi1 08-14-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

I think JPI is handling the pics on his facebook page. Maybe he can post some here.

I'm excited too and thanks for the kind words! I never agree with myself for longer than 20 mins so I'm really glad JPI quit taking my calls :rofl:

Call anytime Stan, Tuesday's are 3 hours of meetings, but anytime. Your pics will start on FB tonight.

Ancientpath 08-14-2012 09:02 PM

By the way, the wife and I decided to go with the AEV Pintler wheels in Argent :D

It's not a four door but the Deep Red Cherry like mine in the top right corner has the wheels and tires we ordered