Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Spark Knock 2010 JK, 60k miles (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/spark-knock-2010-jk-60k-miles-179696.html)

SafetyThird 08-11-2012 11:36 AM

Spark Knock 2010 JK, 60k miles
 
My 2010 jk has spark knock when running 87 octane gas. This is especially noticeable driving up hill at lowish rpm. The problem goes away with 89 or 91 fuel.

The dealer confirmed "light spark knock" and suggested additives. That was before my trip, and roughly 12,000 miles ago. I tried a couple additives with no discernible result. Only the premium fuel does the trick.

What steps should I take next? Back to the dealer? More additives? I shouldn't have to run premium gas for the life of this car.

Dave

pkmcd99 08-11-2012 12:45 PM

The side effects of ethanol. Find a fuel additive to remove that crap and you will be fine.

MHjk 08-11-2012 12:54 PM

i just started to notice it on my 2011. sounds like pinging almost under load at low rpm... looks like ill be putting premium in her from now on

SilverSport 08-11-2012 01:20 PM

The 3.8L engine is no stranger to spark knock under the conditions you described.
Addign a can of seafoam to the fuel tank every oil change may help. Or you could fill up with 89 octane every third tank.

kjeeper10 08-11-2012 01:38 PM

Techron and good gas.

It helped a jeeper recently with the same problem.

Me too :whistling:

rdombi 08-12-2012 06:14 AM

thanks guys, I just started to notice it in my 09 after i took the carpets out.

daggo66 08-12-2012 07:15 AM

Based oin my experience, you will soon get a MIL code for EGR valve failure. Once that is replaced all will be normal.

kjeeper10 08-12-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
Based oin my experience, you will soon get a MIL code for EGR valve failure. Once that is replaced all will be normal.

I have not yet (knock on wood)

Riccochet 08-12-2012 10:06 AM

The 2010 I traded in with 23k miles had bad spark knock. Not even premium would make it go away. Dealer refused to do anything about it. Said it was normal. In what world is that normal? lol I even tried running non-ethanol pure gas 93 octane and it still had some knock.

traded that sucker in.

kjeeper10 08-12-2012 10:21 AM

If you have a 2007-2010 tune the sucker. I am running 93 octane Superchips tune.
My jeep last summer would ping like crazy especially on inclines and on ramps. Two separate bottles of Techron helped a ton. Only pinged during harder acceleration.
Right now-with the 93 tune-she hardly pings at all. If I can't put Shell gas it it, ill get some during real hot days . For some reason my engine likes Shell.
The performance increase is a huge bonus running 35's

Riccochet 08-12-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2677382)
If you have a 2007-2010 tune the sucker. I am running 93 octane Superchips tune.
My jeep last summer would ping like crazy especially on inclines and on ramps. Two separate bottles of Techron helped a ton. Only pinged during harder acceleration.
Right now-with the 93 tune-she hardly pings at all. If I can't put Shell gas it it, ill get some during real hot days . For some reason my engine likes Shell.
The performance increase is a huge bonus running 35's

Problem is that for a vehicle that's under warranty still, like mine was, it should have been addressed by the dealer and not pushed off as "normal". I shouldn't have had to void my warranty and spend hundreds of dollars on a tune to mask/resolve an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

kjeeper10 08-12-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccochet

Problem is that for a vehicle that's under warranty still, like mine was, it should have been addressed by the dealer and not pushed off as "normal". I shouldn't have had to void my warranty and spend hundreds of dollars on a tune to mask/resolve an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Minor ping is normal for these engines. I believe it reads this in the OM. I remember
Seeing it somewhere :confused:

thinkxingu 08-13-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Techron and good gas.

It helped a jeeper recently with the same problem.

Me too :whistling:

Hey All,
I think I was the Jeeper referred to, but an update: I had run two bottles of Techron through and put in ten gallons of super and no knock. I then filled the tank with Mobil 87 and it sounded fine, but there must have been some super left in the line because not long after I am getting a little knocking. Knowing that it goes away with super, I'm gonna try mid grade and go from there.

S

kjeeper10 08-13-2012 08:43 PM

Indeed you were :thumb:

superdavis78 08-14-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccochet (Post 2677565)
Problem is that for a vehicle that's under warranty still, like mine was, it should have been addressed by the dealer and not pushed off as "normal". I shouldn't have had to void my warranty and spend hundreds of dollars on a tune to mask/resolve an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I'm right there with you on this. If it's under warranty the issue should be resolved that way. My 2010 is doing this all the time, and since my driveway is uphill, I can hear it even more at low RPM's....I think a trip to the dealer is going to be scheduled soon.

kjeeper10 08-14-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdavis78

I'm right there with you on this. If it's under warranty the issue should be resolved that way. My 2010 is doing this all the time, and since my driveway is uphill, I can hear it even more at low RPM's....I think a trip to the dealer is going to be scheduled soon.

Good luck, they are going to tell you it's normal and send you on your way :(

SafetyThird 08-15-2012 02:05 PM

I'm going to go with the ethonal free 87 octane and see how that works out. Its the cheapest solution.

Makes me wonder how those flexi fuel cars run E85 though.

Dave

Riccochet 08-15-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafetyThird (Post 2687890)
I'm going to go with the ethonal free 87 octane and see how that works out. Its the cheapest solution.

Makes me wonder how those flexi fuel cars run E85 though.

Dave

E85 is actually around 100 octane. It's just 85% ethanol. The "rated" part means that the fuel and emission system are capable of handling ethanol, which degrades standard fuel lines quickly.

MHjk 08-17-2012 07:08 PM

Put in 91 octane and my spark knock went away. Almost thought I had rod knock it was so bad. I hate Costco gas

Hasan 10-19-2012 04:38 PM

solution for spark knock in jk wrangler
 
my wrangler was knocking i had spark knock in the engine , i went to the company but they didn't solve the problem , i tried a lot of solutions , i tried every thing until i found the solution
- buy 1 ACDelco Carburetor Tune-Up Conditioner .
- remove all spark plug .
- use the ACdeloco in the 6 cylinders , and finish it (Put it in the place you remove the spark plug from it ) .
- let it for two hours .
- turn on the engine 10 times every time from 3 to 10 seconds you will see the carbon come out from the engine .
- return the spark plug to there place again and turn on the engine you will see gas come out from the exhaust .
- drive the car at high RPM for while to let the ACdelco come out .
- wash the car and the engine .
this is what i done and i found excellent result ..:dance::thumb::dance:

IndyAZ 05-05-2013 04:05 PM

Spark Knock
 
My 2010 JWS had really bad Spark Knock(SK). I did some research here and other places.
1. Octane of gas helps. Fixing some but not all.
2. Knock Sensor
3. Plugs
4. Wires
5. Coil pack
Could be any of these. At night (or dark garage) use a spray bottle, spray water on the plugs wires(while running). If you see sparks replace the wires. Mine were OK but I did remove and inspect all 6 plugs. The plugs all looked OK but one. The ceramic insulation had a small crack in it. I replaced all 6. Wow. Like new problem went away.
One plug caused my problems and the spark knock was very bad. All good now. Hope this helps anyone who has this issue. :dance:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.