Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Flywheel Clutch Starter Yj ! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/flywheel-clutch-starter-yj-180058.html)

Bluegrass 08-13-2012 12:11 AM

Flywheel Clutch Starter Yj !

Just replaced my clutch but my starter chewed up from the flywheel and the dust shield also.

Having almost the same issue now and about to give up on the Dyi idea after all this.

Got everything back together and my nice clean flywheel is now chewed up from my starter. Also the flywheel now when running is rubbing the new straight shield. When i turned it back over it scrapped the dust shield and then sounded like it took out the starter.

All the bolts are in the right place, and everything. Starter is trashed. It started chunky then I heard a big chunky noise and cut it off. Teeth are chewed off the starter and flywheel is a bit chewed up.

What am I doing wrong?!?.. I don't have the money to take it to a shop. It's my DD and right now I'm screwed. Any ideas

Re Cap..

1) Had problem with flywheel scrapping my dust shield when pressing the clutch pedal in and grinding into the starter.

2) Replaced clutch, resurfaced flywheel from a 89 yj, new slave, and new dust shield.

3) starter ate it on flywheel. Took teeth off and flywheel is still going into my dust shield and not just when I press the clutch in.

0III0forlife 08-13-2012 06:38 PM

Your starter needs to be shimmed so that the gear on the end is aligned with the teeth on the flywheel. They sell shim kits at AutoZone or Napa.

It isnt possible for the flywheel to scrape the dust shield just by pressing the clutch pedal in, if it is doing something like that, there is something very loose. I would check the bolts around the bell housing to male sure they are all tight.

The flywheel is bolted to the back of the crankshaft, solid, no flex. The clutch works off of a pivot on the bell housing, which is bolted to the back of the motor, solid, no flex. Dust shield is sandwiched between bellhousing and back of motor.

No possible way for the movement of the clutch to make the flywheel rub on the dustshield.

Bluegrass 08-13-2012 11:10 PM

not sure what to say other thank it was only rubbing the dust shield when i pressed the clutch in. I am going to buy another starter and try to shim it like you suggested.
Thanks

0III0forlife 08-13-2012 11:18 PM

If you put a new flywheel in, did you replace the pilot shaft bushing? When you pushed the clutch pedal in, it releases the clutch inside, and if the pilot shaft bushing is bad, it will make a grinding noise.

As far as the shims, loosen the top bolt on the starter, and take the bottom bolt out, tilt the starter a little and slide the shim or shims in, it shouldnt take 1 or 2 to be lined up. You will know if its lined up by tightening everything up and trying to start it, if it engages quietly, then its in line, if it sounds like its chewing on the flywheel, install another shim. I think they come in a 3 pack. Only a few dollars.

Bluegrass 08-14-2012 11:55 PM

The new flywheel that I bought from autozone turns out to be different than the one that was in it before. Is it because it's a 87 Yj 4.2? I've don't some hunting and it looks like they use the Cj7 flywheel

Bluegrass 08-29-2012 12:19 PM

Turned out that the fly wheels from the 87/89 didn't match up so I'm going back to the 87 flywheel to hopefully fix my starter problem.. O yeah I swapped the 89 motor in also