Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Pros & cons of owning a jeep wrangler??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/pros-and-cons-of-owning-a-jeep-wrangler-18016.html)

yaka6690 04-26-2008 11:00 AM

Pros & cons of owning a jeep wrangler???

almost definite im buying a 97-99 wrangler w/ around 100k

Any information people can give me good or bad

Positives, negatives, things to look for, things to buy, mechanical problems expected,anything you can think of

thanks
Mike

jpoutlaw 04-26-2008 11:37 AM

It's all good!!!! Just start reading the threads. You'll get a good picture of what other Jeep owners think and the issues they have.

Don't buy it if you want good fuel economy. But hey, I own a Jeep.

Vector6 04-26-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpoutlaw (Post 222788)
Don't buy it if you want good fuel economy. But hey, I own a Jeep.

Hell i have 3.......... :banghead:

debruins 04-26-2008 12:14 PM

you want to make sure u get the 6Cyl 4.0L, and the D44, the D44 is the rear axle to tell if the jeep has it you have to look at the rear diff drain plug, if it is metal its a D44 if its plastic its the D35 which you dont want. You can also tell because the D35 is round and the D44 is octagonal.

For those years I'd also recommend the manual b/c the old autos start to have problems once you get up into the 150K range, and they also are pretty sluggish

besides that its all just preference, what color, if u want AC, if you want a hard or soft top etc.
personally again i would go with soft top b/c then you can put it on and off easily, and u wont ever get stuck in the rain with ur top at home :doh:
but otoh they have no security and are a tad louder, but really they arent that loud and its still gets hot in the winter, if someone tells u otherwise they've never had one, they warm up in about 10 minutes form turning the engine on to being 70 in the cab

4.0l sahara 04-26-2008 01:19 PM

It's nice to get one with a d44 but don't make your decision on that. Go for the 4.0l.

4.0l sahara 04-26-2008 01:20 PM

look for rust.

black71gp 04-26-2008 01:26 PM

pros..... ---- JEEP

Cons....----- None

richp 04-26-2008 01:39 PM

Pros:
Comfortable even for my 6'5".
Easy to work on, parts are relatively inexpensive
Easy to modify and has it's own 300 page accessory book from quadratec.
Even body panels are easy to replace, everything unbolts. You can buy a fender, have it shot with color, replace it yourself. I do that on a regular basis, one of my customers has my vins on file, he owns a body shop and all I have to do it pickup a phone and he'll ask the blue one or the black one.
Even the soft tops are warm in the winter.
A very cool vehicle to own, they never go out of style, ever.
They really are all purpose, play in the woods all day, take it to the country club that nite or out to a dinner with valet parking.
They are just a fun vehicle to own and drive, certain snob appeal in my opinion :D
A few mods, bumpers, 2" lift, tires, no top and doors and people tend to stare at you, kids in the back seat of their parents cars will wave and smile at you.
You can walk up to a wrangler driver who is a total stranger and start a conversation.
They tend to bring out the kid in all of us.
And how can you not like that big grinning grill and headlights.:D

Cons:
You have to think about what you carry, no security unless you put in say a tuffy center console, storage boxes, etc.
Not the greatest mileage, you will get 16mpg with the 6 cylinder, 20 with the 4 cylinder.
They are noisy at hiway speeds with the top off or the soft top on.
I can't think of too many cons to owing one. But then we have 7 in the family now.

nregas1 04-26-2008 01:48 PM

pros: everything
cons: limited cabin space and non existent cargo area, mpg, and mods are addicting

scotiez 04-26-2008 02:37 PM

Pros:
It's a Jeep
Tons of mods
Easy to work on
Never goes out of style
Very Reliable
Soft top or Hard top, Both can be removed in a matter of minutes for summer fun
Perfect to take anywhere
Well respected, even from non jeep owners

Cons:
Limited cabin space
gas mileage ( not really a big deal to me)

You also have to think what do you want to do with this jeep? If you are planning on a lift with big tires, and is going to be doing some serious off roading, make sure you get the D44 rear Axle. If you want a jeep, and you are going to keep it close to stock with light duty off roading, then the D35c will do just fine.

chiro2736 04-26-2008 03:27 PM

go with the i6, and a soft top right now you can pick up a hard on craigs list for about 400+Dollars. Would recomend 5sp on pre 03 over the autos. But, just a preferance. Look out for abused wranglers, you dont want someone elses problem. Other than that welcome to the club. Dont forget to wave:wavey:!

-John

Smeghead 04-26-2008 04:04 PM

Pros - looks good in a rugged kind of way
Convertible! And summer is coming!
4wd!
Get lost on trails without fear of being stuck
Go muddin'
Go rock crawling
bad weather - no problem
Not unusal to see one at 200,000miles +

cons
Slower than one legged turtle dragging a 50 llb weight behind it
Everyones got one
Not luxurious, BAD for interstate driving
expensive for what they are and what you get
only carries 4 ppl

Lost in Space 04-26-2008 04:25 PM

Get rid of the rear seat and you have the equilalent of a fair sized trunk, just no security. Don't expect a lot of comfort or luxury. Don't expect to go real fast. Don't expect to hear the stereo real good at highway speeds.

But do expect your face to hurt from all the grinning you are doing while driving it, ESPECIALLY if you take it off road.

ajtudor 04-26-2008 04:54 PM

The best points have been listed, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Check for Rust. Check for rust that's been painted over. If the tailgate is really hard to open then the hinges are rusted. Check to see how much rust, if any, has developed on the brake lines. If it's a soft top, check all the zippers. I would take all the windows out and put the top down, then put them back. Check/Listen for leaks in the manifold, earlier TJs had problems with the welds I believe.

Some of these are actually things I wish I had looked at better. Everything is fixable, but they are negotiating points. I wish I would have turned on the radio in mine. Got it home and found that the wiring adapter was missing. :doh:

Good Luck, and make sure to post some pics when you get it.

Rickster49426 04-26-2008 04:55 PM

Best Vehicle Your Can Own

There was 30 years between the first & second Jeep that I have owned. The first a 1978 CJ7, which I dearly loved until my wife claimed I loved the Jeep more than her. Hmmmmmmmmmmm Anyway I sold the CJ7, the nest year. Last year I purchsed a 1999 Jeep TJ, after looking for several months. I think you get far more bang for your buck by purchasing from a private party than through some dealer or at least I did.

I knew I wanted a 4.0L & a 5 speed. I was foryunate to find one all tricked out, even though I have sold a lot of the stuff I was never going to use & then reinvested in stuff I wanted.

I like "Bling" so all the stock hardware was the first to go replaced with stainless.

It came with hald doors & upper sliding aftermarket windows, which I have now sold in favor of full hard doors.

It came with a rag top, but because Michigan winters can be harsh, I picked up a good used hardtop. Sure made this past Winter a more pleasurable experience.

It does have A/C which I have used a time or two.

It came with a Big Brute Air Intake which I kept & I like along with an electric fan. It also have a Jet performance jet which I sold, because it made it way too jumping for my tastes. It also has a cat back exhaust system. It also came with custom bumpers frpnt & rear along with lots of body armor, which I like.

A friend liked the black rims so we traded & I took his stock gambler aluminum ones, which I liked better.

Last week I picked up a set of polished aluminum wheels for warmer weather driving & will use the gambler set & tires for the Winter months.

Be patient & get the one that you really want.

The Greatest thing about owning a Jeep is that you can have it your way, whatever that means to you. What one guy likes the next does not & vice versa.

The greatest people that you will ever meet on the planet all drive Jeeps & are more than willing to help in anyway that they can, or at least that is what I have experienced.

chiro2736 04-26-2008 05:53 PM

IF we are making recomendations on where to buy it!

Look at ebay

I bought my jeep in november-
buy it now price.
2003 Wrangler X
$9500
clear title
50,000 miles
Auto I6
4 inch suspension lift and yes it was done right I just had to add the SYE kit
and it had never been off-road lady owned.
I think I did fairly decent!
But, doesnt everyone when they buy a car.

Hope this helps!

-John

bpowa 04-27-2008 02:33 AM

dont buy one worst decision ever:flipoff::banghead::punk:

soupy1957 04-27-2008 04:34 AM

jpoutlaw says: "Don't buy it if you want good fuel economy. But hey, I own a Jeep."

To that, I politely say BUNK!! My 2008 gives me 25.4 avg. M.P.G.!!

-course, over rock piles I'm SURE it's worse...

-Soupy1957

2much 04-27-2008 12:28 PM

pros: fun to drive (as long as you don't want to run on the interstate)
Looks good

Cons: Don't do well on the highway
no luxury
no room
no security (as mentioned)

Just out of curiosity are you buying for a daily driver, or just and extra vehicle?

yaka6690 04-27-2008 12:52 PM

thanks for all the help guys very much appreciated

rust check was mentioned alot any specific areas to look for and what is to be expected

problems w/ auto trans?

and its mostly a daily driver but i will be doing some off roading no crazy crawling or anything like that just your basic screwing around easy trails and what not at least for now

Triple88a 04-27-2008 12:54 PM

my main con is the mpg. everything else is fine.

UNLIMITLESS 04-27-2008 01:57 PM

Pros: Every one has already said it!

Cons: I have 2 kids, after car seats not much room left.
Security-None
I would love a soft top in the warmer months because the top is too heavy/awkward to handle by myself. Hard top rocks in the cold though.

Mine has the 2.5 with a 5 speed and gets 17-19 MPG But I don't really consider that a con because my last vehicle was a Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 1500 Ram 11-12 MPG. Next time I'm going I-6. The motors are tough as nails and last forever with maintenance. My 97 2.5 has 189K and runs like a top.

Good luck!

4.0l sahara 04-27-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaka6690 (Post 223064)
thanks for all the help guys very much appreciated

rust check was mentioned alot any specific areas to look for and what is to be expected

problems w/ auto trans?

and its mostly a daily driver but i will be doing some off roading no crazy crawling or anything like that just your basic screwing around easy trails and what not at least for now

For rust lift up the carpet and look at the floor pans, look under the jeep and the uderside of the body. Check the frame for rot. Some surface rust is fine and can be cleaned up.;)

Triple88a 04-27-2008 03:42 PM

the frame is where you will find the most rust. While you're looking look for a rear D44 differential (metal plug, not black plastic)

midwestTJ 05-21-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy1957 (Post 222985)
jpoutlaw says: "Don't buy it if you want good fuel economy. But hey, I own a Jeep."

To that, I politely say BUNK!! My 2008 gives me 25.4 avg. M.P.G.!!

-course, over rock piles I'm SURE it's worse...

-Soupy1957

v6

Levinoss 05-21-2008 01:49 AM

My 98 is mostly stock with 31 A/T's. I just drove 18 hours highway few weeks back and I didn't start to hurt till about 15 hours of driving so it's not that bad on the highway with A/T's.

Welcome

Btw

Quote:

For those years I'd also recommend the manual b/c the old autos start to have problems once you get up into the 150K range, and they also are pretty sluggish
Can anyone back up that comment because mine is just fine.

~Lev

upinar 05-21-2008 04:56 AM

pros:easy to accessorize, parts are everywhere and cheap, multi-purpose vehicle, the inline 6 is the most reliable motor i know. looks badass when setup right

Cons:Doesnt have the wheelbase to back the motor up for towing, gets addictive and makes you spend all your money:doh:,

freaky73 05-21-2008 04:59 AM

gas mileage how is it i drive 30miles 2 work on the highway

47MTP 05-21-2008 10:39 AM

Btw

Can anyone back up that comment because mine is just fine.

~Lev[/QUOTE]

I bought my 2000 Sport w/I-6 and A/T with 73,000 on it. The trans. slipped a bit from 2nd to 3rd, so I had it flushed and the bands adjusted. It's still doing ok w/95,000. Having driven both a 3-speed and the A/T offroad, the automatic is a bit easier, especially on hills and in the rockpiles. I wouldn't turn down a sweet Jeep with an automatic...it's really all about personal preference though. BTW, I have started to budget for a tranny rebuild next summer, just in case.
Bert

MOz 05-21-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freaky73 (Post 231096)
gas mileage how is it i drive 30miles 2 work on the highway

I have an auto w/45K and no problems.

PRO's - Very well built and easy to work on. Great opportunity to exlore the outdoors with your kids (if you have them).

Con's - The wife starts to borrow my Jeep more often now. The more you push yourself into the challenges that the trails offer, the more you have to pony up the cash for upgrades.