Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Electrical problems.

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  kwn306 
#1 ·
My reverse lights work when my headlights are off. Turn my headlights on and I have no reverse lights. 99 4.0 5spd. Any ideas?

#5 ·
When it is blinking fast it is called hyper flashing, it means there is a light (either taillight, reverse light, or turn signal) that is already out, you'll have to go look and find out which one. If you have LED taillights or turn signals bulbs this could be because LEDs do not pull as much power so the computer thinks a bulb is out, there are ways to fix this if this is the case, the easiest one is buying a LED compatible turn signal relay (you can get one at any big auto parts store).

#6 ·
arizonaTJ said:
When it is blinking fast it is called hyper flashing, it means there is a light (either taillight, reverse light, or turn signal) that is already out, you'll have to go look and find out which one. If you have LED taillights or turn signals bulbs this could be because LEDs do not pull as much power so the computer thinks a bulb is out, there are ways to fix this if this is the case, the easiest one is buying a LED compatible turn signal relay (you can get one at any big auto parts store).
Ok thanks. I do have LEDs so I will have to check into that relay. Where is it located?

#8 ·
It is located under the steering wheel and is really easy to access. There are a couple ways to fix hyper flashing:

One is to order a new LED-compatible flasher, they are about $20 and available at most big auto parts stores, here is one I found at Autozone: Tridon/Turn Signal Flasher (EP27) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 4 Cylinders P 2.5L MFI | AutoZone.com

Another is to install resistors or equalizers onto the actual LED bulbs. On wranglers this is very hard to do (given the limited space in the housing) and I generally do not recommend this, but to each his own, auto store sell LED bulb equalizers for about $12 a pair (one needed for each bulb).

Finally, you can modify the existing equalizer (this is what I did). All you need is an exacto knife (or you could use a pocket knife if you are careful. I used this write up to guide me through this process: http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led1/led-3.htm (if the link doesn't work for you PM me and I'll send you the instructions, I saved them in a document).

Ultimately I would recommend replacing the flasher with an LED-compatible one, but if you're a jeeper on a budget, you can modify your current one.:thumb:

#9 ·
For your reverse lights I would assume your are losing your ground somewhere. Start by opening up your taillight housing and looking to see if anything seems wrong or you see exposed wire. If you don't see anything wrong, put your jeep in reverse and follow the wires with a multimeter to see where you are losing your connection and/or ground. Hopefully its something in the housing, but if not, just follow those wires and find the problem.

#11 ·
SecretAgentMan said:
I'm not sure I agree with the "losing ground" theories for the backup lights. The OP says that he only has no backup lights when his headlights are on. How do you lose ground by turning on the headlights?
Yea, that's what I'm saying. What could cause that? Maybe it's wired wrong? I bought the jeep from the PO with the LEDs. Maybe he didn't hook them up right.....

#12 ·
#15 ·
Look at the picture in Post # 13.

Before you replace the turn signal flasher do your self a favor and pull the LED bulbs out and put stock bulbs back in and see if your reverse lights work properly. The light assy should share the same ground wire so the grounding should not be an issue, but if the PO was a cheap bastard and purchased fly by night LED's they could be polarity (sp?) driven, meaning they will only work properly in one position but not the other. But an 1157 has pins on the side of the bulb to solve that issue you say, yes only if the bulb was put together at the China factory by someone who cared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.