Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Help! 98 VW Golf Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/help-98-vw-golf-question-180627.html)

iluvshoes 08-15-2012 01:44 PM

Help! 98 VW Golf Question
 
I know, I know. It's not about a Jeep. But I need some help. Here is the details.

98 VW golf GT, stick

It won't keep oil pressure. When you start it, the oil comes out of the gasket and blows everywhere (spills oil from top and not the bottom so I know it is not the oil plug).

Everything was working a friend put a new clutch in and while he was doing that he broke the CV joint case. So we replace the clutch and the CV joint (couldn't buy just the case). Ok here is the other problem that might give you more insight into the problem. The head has a crack in it. We did used liquid steel to seal up the crack. I know not the best of ideas and we understand the car doens't have much life left. Just need it to hold on for a few months until they can get something better.

My question to you...what is making the oil not be able to withstand the pressure? How do I fix this. Keep in mind the person who owes this car has NO money.

Since most of you on this forum is super smart about car I thought I ask and see if maybe you guys could figure out the problem for me.

RedRubi2012 08-21-2012 12:56 AM

Since you didn't mention it was a diesel, then I will assume its not, so if is a 98 golf then it it has either the 2.0L I4 or the 2.8L V6 and these were notorious for leaks of all types lol. It doesn't sound like you have a blown head gasket because you would probably lose compression and experience power loss and rough running, but you may also notice milky oil from coolant running into the sump, loss of coolant from the overflow tank, and white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Sounds like what you are talking about is that oil is coming out of the valve cover gasket, which was a common problem on especially the 2.0L engine. If you have a plugged PCV valve...it can cause excessive pressure which could have caused the gasket to give way. Where is the location of the crack in the head? If it is common to the sealing surface between the valve cover and the head, I would suspect that the uneven surfaces attained through using repair putty to fix the crack would be attributing to the leak, because it may be possible that the gasket cannot crush enough to completely seal the gap. When you say it won't keep oil pressure....do you mean that the oil pressure gauge is reading 0 or just that there is oil spurting out of the head? If you have a gauge reading 0 then that is a totally seperate problem...and hopefully just a faulty sending unit. But best case scenario here is that you just get a new valve cover gasket and call it a day.

iluvshoes 08-21-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 (Post 2706439)
Since you didn't mention it was a diesel, then I will assume its not, so if is a 98 golf then it it has either the 2.0L I4 or the 2.8L V6 and these were notorious for leaks of all types lol. It doesn't sound like you have a blown head gasket because you would probably lose compression and experience power loss and rough running, but you may also notice milky oil from coolant running into the sump, loss of coolant from the overflow tank, and white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Sounds like what you are talking about is that oil is coming out of the valve cover gasket, which was a common problem on especially the 2.0L engine. If you have a plugged PCV valve...it can cause excessive pressure which could have caused the gasket to give way. Where is the location of the crack in the head? If it is common to the sealing surface between the valve cover and the head, I would suspect that the uneven surfaces attained through using repair putty to fix the crack would be attributing to the leak, because it may be possible that the gasket cannot crush enough to completely seal the gap. When you say it won't keep oil pressure....do you mean that the oil pressure gauge is reading 0 or just that there is oil spurting out of the head? If you have a gauge reading 0 then that is a totally seperate problem...and hopefully just a faulty sending unit. But best case scenario here is that you just get a new valve cover gasket and call it a day.

Ugh...ok let me see if I can answer some of these questions. The crack is in the front..by the distributor (behind it actually). The moron who tried to fix it at first used Quicksteel and that didn't work. He couldn't get behind the distributor to do a nice seal. So I made him take disconnect the distributor and he used a liquid steel sealant. Now it holds the coolant but the oil is coming out of the gasket. When I said oil pressure I meant that it won't stay in the engine. It just blows out of the gasket (so I am told). The check engine lights comes on. It's not my car and to be honest I have limited information as well as limited knowledge of cars. I am assuming that the car is trashed but my friend isn't in a position to buy another right now, so she is trying her best to make the car last for a bit longer. She hasn't driven it since it has been fixed other than to get it back home (about 10 miles). She is too scared too.

RedRubi2012 08-21-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2707316)
Ugh...ok let me see if I can answer some of these questions. The crack is in the front..by the distributor (behind it actually). The moron who tried to fix it at first used Quicksteel and that didn't work. He couldn't get behind the distributor to do a nice seal. So I made him take disconnect the distributor and he used a liquid steel sealant. Now it holds the coolant but the oil is coming out of the gasket. When I said oil pressure I meant that it won't stay in the engine. It just blows out of the gasket (so I am told). The check engine lights comes on. It's not my car and to be honest I have limited information as well as limited knowledge of cars. I am assuming that the car is trashed but my friend isn't in a position to buy another right now, so she is trying her best to make the car last for a bit longer. She hasn't driven it since it has been fixed other than to get it back home (about 10 miles). She is too scared too.

Thats good news that you are still reading oil pressure...because if you had a condition of no oil pressure that came on suddenly I would have to say either an oil pump failure or electronic failure with the oil pressure sending unit or gauge. Ok so from what I recall the distributor on the 2.0 is positioned in front of the block on the drivers side and just to the side of the intake manifold. If you say it was behind the distributor...do you know if the crack extended to any sealing surfaces? I ask because the head to block interface and the head to intake manifold interface is right there and if it did extend to either of these and you didn't get it completely sealed, that could be a problem. So the other piece of information I would really like to have would be exactly which gasket the oil is coming out of. Would it be possible for you to attach a picture and circle the area you are talking about? The other thing that I am starting to wonder about is when you say the oil "blows everywhere" do you mean its actually spurting out under pressure or simply leaking out? If spurting...that leads me to believe its coming from somewhere pressurized...ie not the valve cover. (possibly loose oil filter, main seal failure, or timing cover). There could be multiple things going on here so this is why it would be great to have a closeup picture of exactly the area you are talking about (in addition to the exact location of the crack in the head).

iluvshoes 08-21-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 (Post 2708999)
Thats good news that you are still reading oil pressure...because if you had a condition of no oil pressure that came on suddenly I would have to say either an oil pump failure or electronic failure with the oil pressure sending unit or gauge. Ok so from what I recall the distributor on the 2.0 is positioned in front of the block on the drivers side and just to the side of the intake manifold. If you say it was behind the distributor...do you know if the crack extended to any sealing surfaces? I ask because the head to block interface and the head to intake manifold interface is right there and if it did extend to either of these and you didn't get it completely sealed, that could be a problem. So the other piece of information I would really like to have would be exactly which gasket the oil is coming out of. Would it be possible for you to attach a picture and circle the area you are talking about? The other thing that I am starting to wonder about is when you say the oil "blows everywhere" do you mean its actually spurting out under pressure or simply leaking out? If spurting...that leads me to believe its coming from somewhere pressurized...ie not the valve cover. (possibly loose oil filter, main seal failure, or timing cover). There could be multiple things going on here so this is why it would be great to have a closeup picture of exactly the area you are talking about (in addition to the exact location of the crack in the head).

Ok...I can't get a picture of it. It is spilling (blowing out literally) out of the oil filter. I guess she replaced the filter twice and same issue. She states that the oil pushes the plastic thingie to the side and just blows out. I don't know about how bad hte crack is. I did witness the collant leaking when the car was running. I don't know if this will help but when she drove it home from the moron's house....oil was not dripping out. But when she got home she added oil and the next time she started her car it blew. It only happens when the car is running. Her gages are acting up too which wasn't happening before he "fixed" it.

RedRubi2012 08-21-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2710056)
Ok...I can't get a picture of it. It is spilling (blowing out literally) out of the oil filter. I guess she replaced the filter twice and same issue. She states that the oil pushes the plastic thingie to the side and just blows out. I don't know about how bad hte crack is. I did witness the collant leaking when the car was running. I don't know if this will help but when she drove it home from the moron's house....oil was not dripping out. But when she got home she added oil and the next time she started her car it blew. It only happens when the car is running. Her gages are acting up too which wasn't happening before he "fixed" it.

:rofl::rofl: your killin' me Smalls!

Ok so do you know what type/brand of filter she is using? When you say plastic thingy are you referring to the filter gasket? So the filter doesn't screw into the block on this motor if I remember correctly...it is somewhat on a remote mount I think? Maybe you need to get an entire new filter attachment housing? If she is using the correct filter and a new gasket every time...only other thing that could be happening is that there is some defect at the mating surfaces...dent, crack, which is allowing oil to blow by. Remember oil running through the filter is highly pressurized so it makes complete sense that it would literally spurt out of there. The only thing I could think of why I wouldnt leak out while she was driving it home was because there was no oil in it lol...how much oil did she have to add to it when she got home?

Oh gosh...you saw coolant leaking out of the block and you didn't mention that little detail haha!! Well thats a bad sign because you have the potential there for coolant to be leaking out of the water jacket into the combustion chamber and making its way down into the engine oil. Ask her if the engine oil looks milky in color as though there is coolant mixed with it. Also does she notice any white exhaust when the engine is running? There is a possibility that this leak is only to the external side of the motor but based on what you have said so far I would for sure check it out.

Gauges acting up too :nonono:...oh man this just keeps getting better and better LOL. So which gauges are acting up and how are they acting? High, low, no readings?

So theres no way you can get a video of it running, picture, maybe get a picture of a similar engine online and point out exactly the location in question.

iluvshoes 08-21-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 (Post 2710161)
:rofl::rofl: your killin' me Smalls!

Ok so do you know what type/brand of filter she is using? When you say plastic thingy are you referring to the filter gasket? So the filter doesn't screw into the block on this motor if I remember correctly...it is somewhat on a remote mount I think? Maybe you need to get an entire new filter attachment housing? If she is using the correct filter and a new gasket every time...only other thing that could be happening is that there is some defect at the mating surfaces...dent, crack, which is allowing oil to blow by. Remember oil running through the filter is highly pressurized so it makes complete sense that it would literally spurt out of there. The only thing I could think of why I wouldnt leak out while she was driving it home was because there was no oil in it lol...how much oil did she have to add to it when she got home?

Oh gosh...you saw coolant leaking out of the block and you didn't mention that little detail haha!! Well thats a bad sign because you have the potential there for coolant to be leaking out of the water jacket into the combustion chamber and making its way down into the engine oil. Ask her if the engine oil looks milky in color as though there is coolant mixed with it. Also does she notice any white exhaust when the engine is running? There is a possibility that this leak is only to the external side of the motor but based on what you have said so far I would for sure check it out.

Gauges acting up too :nonono:...oh man this just keeps getting better and better LOL. So which gauges are acting up and how are they acting? High, low, no readings?

So theres no way you can get a video of it running, picture, maybe get a picture of a similar engine online and point out exactly the location in question.

I will try to get pictures this week for you. She did state that I would never fit under the car to get a pic of the oil spill. This car is a POS and I wish she had the money to dump the thing and get something better but she can't. It makes me thankful for my blessings of having a brand new Jeep (which I LOVE) and is under warranty :).

I know my terms are lame. I really don't know much about cars. My belief has always been buy a good running car and take good care of it. She doesn't share that. She has had this car for two years and never once changed the oil :doh:. I changed my oil at 625 miles already and will do it again in the fall (I don't use my Jeep much so I can't go by the 3000 miles rule). She beats the sh*t out of and wonders why it isn't running right. It has high miles too (180k).

iluvshoes 08-21-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 (Post 2710161)
:rofl::rofl: your killin' me Smalls!

Ok so do you know what type/brand of filter she is using? When you say plastic thingy are you referring to the filter gasket? So the filter doesn't screw into the block on this motor if I remember correctly...it is somewhat on a remote mount I think? Maybe you need to get an entire new filter attachment housing? If she is using the correct filter and a new gasket every time...only other thing that could be happening is that there is some defect at the mating surfaces...dent, crack, which is allowing oil to blow by. Remember oil running through the filter is highly pressurized so it makes complete sense that it would literally spurt out of there. The only thing I could think of why I wouldnt leak out while she was driving it home was because there was no oil in it lol...how much oil did she have to add to it when she got home?

Oh gosh...you saw coolant leaking out of the block and you didn't mention that little detail haha!! Well thats a bad sign because you have the potential there for coolant to be leaking out of the water jacket into the combustion chamber and making its way down into the engine oil. Ask her if the engine oil looks milky in color as though there is coolant mixed with it. Also does she notice any white exhaust when the engine is running? There is a possibility that this leak is only to the external side of the motor but based on what you have said so far I would for sure check it out.

Gauges acting up too :nonono:...oh man this just keeps getting better and better LOL. So which gauges are acting up and how are they acting? High, low, no readings?

So theres no way you can get a video of it running, picture, maybe get a picture of a similar engine online and point out exactly the location in question.

No milky color in the oil. No exhuast smoke. Speed gauge not working or the trip meter. She is thinking maybe the moron disconnected something and didn't connect it back. Her landlord added the oil and she doesn't know how much he added. According to her the crack in the block is just above the gasket line (3/4 of an inch above the gasket line). He sealed it with some underwater sealant crap, which according to her is hold...well.

Nothing was leaking when she drove it home. it was only the next day and right when you start it now it will blow the oil.

RedRubi2012 08-21-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2710203)
I will try to get pictures this week for you. She did state that I would never fit under the car to get a pic of the oil spill. This car is a POS and I wish she had the money to dump the thing and get something better but she can't. It makes me thankful for my blessings of having a brand new Jeep (which I LOVE) and is under warranty :).

I know my terms are lame. I really don't know much about cars. My belief has always been buy a good running car and take good care of it. She doesn't share that. She has had this car for two years and never once changed the oil :doh:. I changed my oil at 625 miles already and will do it again in the fall (I don't use my Jeep much so I can't go by the 3000 miles rule). She beats the sh*t out of and wonders why it isn't running right. It has high miles too (180k).

I changed my engine oil the first time at 20 miles and will change every 4000 miles :dance:

I have a 6spd manual also which tends to be quite notchy and cratchety shifting, and I changed that for the first time at 500 miles to get any break-in contamination out, have found that changing fluid often helps to smooth out the shifting. I have changed it twice so far and will probably change every 8000 miles.

Dumped my diff fluid and T-case fluid at 1000 miles to get the factory fill out and to clean out any metal particles floating around from the gearsets seating together and wearing in.

RedRubi2012 08-21-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2710356)
No milky color in the oil. No exhuast smoke. Speed gauge not working or the trip meter. She is thinking maybe the moron disconnected something and didn't connect it back. Her landlord added the oil and she doesn't know how much he added. According to her the crack in the block is just above the gasket line (3/4 of an inch above the gasket line). He sealed it with some underwater sealant crap, which according to her is hold...well.

Nothing was leaking when she drove it home. it was only the next day and right when you start it now it will blow the oil.

Ok good thing about the crack...most likely it will just be leaking to the outside of the engine. Well if the oil filter gasket is now blown or there is something awry with the filter mount then I would suspect it to have the same problem every time she adds more oil or starts it. She needs to take the filter off and inspect for any discrepancies.

Speedometer is usually plumbed into the transmission and the output shaft will typically turn the gear for the speedometer but I want to say that there is a gear mechanism on the front wheel of a VW for this (not totally sure). I would trace the cable and find out if its hooked up. Speedometer and odometer function is based on this cable but operated differently (odometer functions directly by how many times the cable turns while speedometer is run by an electrical signal generated from the cable turning).

iluvshoes 08-21-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 (Post 2710398)
I changed my engine oil the first time at 20 miles and will change every 4000 miles :dance:

I have a 6spd manual also which tends to be quite notchy and cratchety shifting, and I changed that for the first time at 500 miles to get any break-in contamination out, have found that changing fluid often helps to smooth out the shifting. I have changed it twice so far and will probably change every 8000 miles.

Dumped my diff fluid and T-case fluid at 1000 miles to get the factory fill out and to clean out any metal particles floating around from the gearsets seating together and wearing in.

So do you think when he broke the CV case that he may have messed up the oil filter housing? BTW she just told me it is a GTI and not a Golf...whatever...lol.

Also, how would she know if there is something wrong with the housing (for someone who doesn't know what to look for)? And if that is the problem how much to fix it and can it be something a novice can do?

I am super grateful for all your help on this! I wish you had shoe issues I could help you with...lmfao!

RedRubi2012 08-22-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2710472)
So do you think when he broke the CV case that he may have messed up the oil filter housing? BTW she just told me it is a GTI and not a Golf...whatever...lol.

Also, how would she know if there is something wrong with the housing (for someone who doesn't know what to look for)? And if that is the problem how much to fix it and can it be something a novice can do?

I am super grateful for all your help on this! I wish you had shoe issues I could help you with...lmfao!

No worries lol

There is a possiblity that this could have happened. I am not sure what side of the engine the transaxle is on in relation to the filter...but if they are on the same side then I suppose he could have bumped it and did some damage. When you say the housing do you mean the oil filter mount? Basically she should just look for anything out of the ordinary....bent parts, dents, etc. It should be quite noticable I would think once you get in there to look.

I actually do have the hardest time buying footwear LOL because I have a low instep, narrow heel, and wide forefoot. Its nightmare for things like hiking boots or motorcycle boots lol.

iluvshoes 08-22-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 (Post 2710558)
No worries lol

There is a possiblity that this could have happened. I am not sure what side of the engine the transaxle is on in relation to the filter...but if they are on the same side then I suppose he could have bumped it and did some damage. When you say the housing do you mean the oil filter mount? Basically she should just look for anything out of the ordinary....bent parts, dents, etc. It should be quite noticable I would think once you get in there to look.

I actually do have the hardest time buying footwear LOL because I have a low instep, narrow heel, and wide forefoot. Its nightmare for things like hiking boots or motorcycle boots lol.

Shoes will be super hard to find to fit your foot, unless you get them custom made. Redwing makes custom shoes and boots. My ex (who is a cop) use to get his custom made because he had flat feet. But the best cheap way to help with your weird feet form (LOL) is to get insoles. There are ones for the narrow heels, and insoles fort he low instep and the wide width...well you have to buy leather so it can stretch to the shape of your foot.

RedRubi2012 08-22-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvshoes (Post 2711344)
Shoes will be super hard to find to fit your foot, unless you get them custom made. Redwing makes custom shoes and boots. My ex (who is a cop) use to get his custom made because he had flat feet. But the best cheap way to help with your weird feet form (LOL) is to get insoles. There are ones for the narrow heels, and insoles fort he low instep and the wide width...well you have to buy leather so it can stretch to the shape of your foot.

My favorite insoles are the green superfeet :dance:

So comfortable :)

R4D4R 08-24-2012 08:08 PM

VWVortex is your friend

Thats all I got


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.