Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Maryland Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/)
-   -   Windshield lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/windshield-lights-180698.html)

tantryan 08-15-2012 06:44 PM

Windshield lights

I was wondering if it is illegal to drive on the highway with windshield side lights. I've never seen anyone use them so I assume it is; however, I'm sure someone has to know.

2012WranglerGal 08-15-2012 06:48 PM

Have you googled it?? Probably find the answers

tantryan 08-15-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012WranglerGal (Post 2688726)
Have you googled it?? Probably find the answers

I have, I couldn't find anything that said that it was illegal or legal. Even went to the DMV website and they did not give me any information.

jjusmc77 09-09-2012 07:50 PM

I have them and I use them all the time. Just make sure to cut them off if another car comes because they are blinding. It's also fun when someone flashes their brights at you when they think your brights are on and you kick on the kc's and you can see their reaction while their driving. Classic.

phils89wrangler 09-14-2012 02:43 PM

I've done the same thing to ppl

tantryan 09-17-2012 09:07 PM

Haha, I used to have a light bar on the top but decided to take it off, but I used to drive down dark roads with them on and it was just awesome seeing the power of them. So kept the KCs and threw them on the front bumper.

fdkss03 12-30-2012 03:02 PM

anything above the headlights and above 50watts is illegal i believe.

backroads are fine, i just turn them off when is see a car coming.

blueskiesbill 01-01-2013 05:05 PM

The only law I have heard is that on the road a vehicle can only have 4 illuminated lights while driving. I have never heard about the nothing more the 50 watts above the headlights but it makes sense. As another 'poster' had mentioned, I would not suggest using them when you have oncoming traffic, not only because they are blinding but it could be the PO PO !

Billyo15 01-03-2013 12:58 PM

It is illegal in the state of maryland to drive with your windshield spotlights period..... I found out the hard way $250.00 fine driving down the back roads with nobody around..... Guess I must have interrupted Mr State Trooper's smoke break....lol

blueskiesbill 01-03-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyo15
It is illegal in the state of maryland to drive with your windshield spotlights period..... I found out the hard way $250.00 fine driving down the back roads with nobody around..... Guess I must have interrupted Mr State Trooper's smoke break....lol

Did you have headlights and fog lights on too?

wants_a_jeep 01-03-2013 05:59 PM

That sucks, So just having them is illegal? Going to have to look into this I wanted to put a Rigid lightbar across the top windshield of my jeep

Bullethead 02-25-2013 01:30 PM

Rule of thumb,

If you have to ask about it, and your in Maryland, it is illegal. MD Law regarding vehicles is one of the most strict I have ever heard of.

Personally I have the windshield lights on my jeep, I haven't used them while driving though because I know what it is like to be blinded by a large vehicle who likes to play with they're lights, its infuriating. But I wouldn't let the fact that you can't drive with them on down the highway deter you.

I love mine, shine them on my friends cars and houses and act like the 5-0 all the time. They have many uses outside of driving with them, I mostly use them to light up the yard when I am working at night, or at the park with some friends.

Gunz n tractorz 03-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueskiesbill
The only law I have heard is that on the road a vehicle can only have 4 illuminated lights while driving. I have never heard about the nothing more the 50 watts above the headlights but it makes sense. As another 'poster' had mentioned, I would not suggest using them when you have oncoming traffic, not only because they are blinding but it could be the PO PO !

X2 on the 4 illuminated lights

ThePhantomPatriot 03-06-2013 11:41 AM

Maryland Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

Quote:

Only 4 lights can be turned on at the front of the vehicle at any time.

Max Height for Aux. lights is 42".
Therefore the windshield/hood and roof lights are for offroad use only.

Also I found a different site that says you can only have 55w lights for onroad use.

ThePhantomPatriot 03-06-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wants_a_jeep (Post 3178723)
That sucks, So just having them is illegal? Going to have to look into this I wanted to put a Rigid lightbar across the top windshield of my jeep

It's illegal to have them turned on while driving on a public road. Some states require them to be covered as well when on a public road, not sure about MD, but I'd cover them if I were you.