Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Alarm System (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/alarm-system-180943.html)

50 Something 08-16-2012 09:40 PM

Alarm System

Well I have the Mopar EVTS "GPS" thing, but without doors and a top I'm looking at a alarm with a proximity sensor as well for the 1st deterant.

Spoke to a couple of folk's and they say "Clifford" is very good. Made by the same MFG as "Viper".

Looking at the Clifford 320.3X.

Anyone?

50 Something

dep214 09-17-2012 03:31 AM

putting and alarm on a jeep is a headache.my father had a motion sensor and it went off constantly.if the wind picked up and blew against the jeep it would go off.he had it adjusted so many times he fin ally gave up.all i have on my jeep is a kill switch and sensors on all the shocks.any weight put on the jeep will set off the alarm.my radio has a removable face.there is nothing else they can get without setting off the alrm.the alarms are wired seperately in case they try to cut wires.

kbwwolf 09-17-2012 07:49 AM

I had one of these installed in the spring: Viper - Viper 3303 Responder LC SuperCode 2-Way Security System

It's got the interior proximity sensor. When I had it installed, I had it adjusted for full doors, no top. There's a small box with 2 screws that adjusts the range of the interior proximity sensor. I had the installer show me how to adjust for no doors/no roof, and after a little trial and error in my driveway, found good settings for that configuration. I marked both settings on the box with a Sharpie.

With full doors on, you can walk up and look in the window before it gives the warning chirp. With rock doors on (or no doors) you have to stick a hand inside the Jeep before it'll chirp.

Mine's gone off once this summer because of wind, and that was from a 35+ mph gust that nailed me while I was walking into a Lowe's. Not sure if my Safari Straps have anything to do with it, but I've had no issues with birds or tree branches.

I use mine generally as an early warning system when I'm carrying camera gear in my Tuffy box. That's really the only reason I bought it.

If somebody wants your Jeep, they'll get it, alarm or not.

kbwwolf 09-17-2012 08:21 AM

Some threads that might help, if you haven't already seen em:

Need advice on Alarm system install

What alarm?

yomondo 09-17-2012 10:31 AM

I added a proximity motion sensor to my stock alarm system.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dei...em-113444.html

50 Something 09-17-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2799957)
I had one of these installed in the spring: Viper - Viper 3303 Responder LC SuperCode 2-Way Security System

It's got the interior proximity sensor. When I had it installed, I had it adjusted for full doors, no top. There's a small box with 2 screws that adjusts the range of the interior proximity sensor. I had the installer show me how to adjust for no doors/no roof, and after a little trial and error in my driveway, found good settings for that configuration. I marked both settings on the box with a Sharpie.

With full doors on, you can walk up and look in the window before it gives the warning chirp. With rock doors on (or no doors) you have to stick a hand inside the Jeep before it'll chirp.

Mine's gone off once this summer because of wind, and that was from a 35+ mph gust that nailed me while I was walking into a Lowe's. Not sure if my Safari Straps have anything to do with it, but I've had no issues with birds or tree branches.

I use mine generally as an early warning system when I'm carrying camera gear in my Tuffy box. That's really the only reason I bought it.

If somebody wants your Jeep, they'll get it, alarm or not.

Better late than never, but I got the Clifford. And yes the tech did say I might have an issue with my Safari Straps as well.

I know if they want it they can get it, but I want to know when they are tring anything, since I do carry and I don't plan on being too far from it at any given time.

Thanks,

50 Something