Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Daily Driver ??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/daily-driver-181009.html)

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 09:35 AM

Daily Driver ???

If I want to buy a TJ to use as my daily driver, am I going to be disappointed?

I know that this is a vague question.
But, what I mean is, is it going to be a rough ride?
I expect this when driving OFF-ROAD, but on an every day commute?

I like the styling of the TJ, and being that the TJ came out with coil springs, I was hoping that this would help to some degree in smoothing out the ride.

I am not bashing Wranglers (or any other Jeep). I know what they were meant for. But nowadays, we use them for everything else, too.

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 09:37 AM

I expect it to be a STIFF ride because of what kind of vehicle it is.
But it could be stiff, while still being a semi-smooth ride, right?

Flanadr11 08-17-2012 09:41 AM

I think you would enjoy it, my TJ is quite zippy....especially when compared to my JK. They are fun to drive. Unless you are doing long distance daily, I would say go for it. Good luck!

ninjaturtle0 08-17-2012 09:43 AM

If only for a daily driver the MPG will dissappoint you especially with Houston driving. But you might get tempted to drive it off the roads hehe

Get the Jeep and join us! :firedevil:

solman 08-17-2012 09:53 AM

In stock form the TJ is a great daily driver, you will sacrifice some MPGs because of its brick wall-like aerodynamics though. Even with a lift and larger tires my jeep is still fairly comfortable to drive. It is an extra vehicle for me but I have a lot of friends who use their TJs as daily drivers and are happy with them.

Tonycrd 08-17-2012 09:58 AM

Take one for a test drive. Can't tell you over the net what it feels like...

My 4 banger: Drives like a boat - Has no power - Drinks like a sailor - Can't go over speedbumps anywere over 20 without throwing you and your co driver out - Everything rattles on bumpy roads....

You still here?

....it's the most fun vehicle I ever owned :dance:

robbiecc 08-17-2012 10:12 AM

mine's a DD(by choice) it's fine for me. it's a 4 cyl, 100% stock and while it's not the ride of a lexus i've been in regular cars that were worse. i have about 40 min(total) commute now but when i got it i had 3 hrs and did that for 7 months. while the mpg isn't the best, i actually got it for that-almost 2x's of my pickup(right around 20 mpg)
while i was looking i did test a few that were lifted and if i was 30 yrs younger i probably would have jumped at em but 3 hrs on the road at the time, not sure i would have survived.
i would say test drive em-if possible the distance you travel to work and see what you think, only you can decide. try a few lifted ones if you want but i think you'd be happier with a stock one-know i am.

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaturtle0 (Post 2693981)
If only for a daily driver the MPG will dissappoint you especially with Houston driving...

I'm not worried about the MPG.
When I find the right TJ, I will be selling my 2002 Ford F-150 XLT. (Don't want or need an extra vehicle.)
That truck is a smooth ride, but the MPGs are worse than a TJ.

I'm looking forward to going everywhere in the TJ.
I go to a local drive-in movie theater around here. When I take my truck, I back it in, and sit in the bed.
It would be cool to take the TJ, without the top, and enjoy the show that way.

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiecc (Post 2694069)
... it's a 4 cyl ...

I'm leaning more towards a 4.0 I6.

Quote:

... i have about 40 min(total) commute ...

My commute is about the same, both ways.

Quote:

... i would say test drive em-if possible the distance you travel to work and see what you think, only you can decide. try a few lifted ones if you want but i think you'd be happier with a stock one-know i am.

Sounds like good advice.
Just like any other vehicle, depending on its' prior owner's use (abuse), every ride will be different.

coolbreeze 08-17-2012 10:32 AM

The Jeep is fun to drive and makes a great alternate vehicle. But, if I only had 1 ride for everything, I'd get something more comfy. I had a Jeep as an only vehicle 45 years ago :D

Bobs Jeep 08-17-2012 10:33 AM

My 2004 4.0 5sp is a daily driver. I just took it on a 900 mile round trip up to Norfolk from Charleston, SC with no problems. Security is a bit of a problem beings that it is a soft top but thieves will get into anything if they want to.

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 10:34 AM

I guess I need to clarify ...
The TJ would be MY only vehicle. My wife has a Ford Escape.

coolbreeze 08-17-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 2694140)

That makes a difference, dump the PU, get a Jeep and have fun :thumb:

Throde 08-17-2012 10:47 AM

I have a 05 unlimited as DD and I love it.

saf98tj 08-17-2012 10:48 AM

I had a TJ as a daily driver 10 or so years ago. I loved it but hated to drive it long distances on the highway. I had a 1 hr+ commute. It wad very noisy and was not good on gas. I sold it and missed it every day since but not as a DD.

I now have a TJ as a second vehicle and couldn't be happier.

I suggest driving one and make sure you are comfortable with it. Everyone has different needs and expectations.

bobbylx 08-17-2012 10:56 AM

I drive mine daily, about 20 miles total to and from work. About half of that is slow, 45mph and the other half is 65mph. I personally love driving it. On the highway it's very smooth, but bumpy roads can be a bit annoying. I don't know if it's stock gearing or someone regeared it before I bought it, but I can run 65 to 70 in 5th gear and 2800rpms. I average about 17~18mpg on that drive. And it's a 4cyl.

Tonycrd 08-17-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbylx (Post 2694200)
I don't know if it's stock gearing or someone regeared it before I bought it, but I can run 65 to 70 in 5th gear and 2800rpms. I average about 17~18mpg on that drive. And it's a 4cyl.

What size tires?

robbiecc 08-17-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 2694140)

besides the 2500hd, CC, long bed, 8.1L gas saver(which is basically a tow vehicle) wife has a compass. around town or just taking a ride we usually take the TJ(wife went from "i'm not gettin in that thing" to "aren't you dropping the top and takeing the doors off") for longer trips or more than just the 2 of us we usually take "HER" jeep. get the TJ, you won't look back, and you'll figure out what works for you.

ninjaturtle0 08-17-2012 12:00 PM

If MPG is not a concern then yes get the TJ.

Get a 4.0 since you live in Houston...

I'm in San Antonio and this is my DD and the the traffic is bad but not as bad as it can get in Houston so 4.0

jeepinsc 08-17-2012 12:21 PM

Mine is a DD but my commute is 2.6 miles round trip to work for me. If I had to drive a long distance everyday I would drive something else.

JRoweMDN 08-17-2012 12:31 PM

If you like the ride and quiet of the F-150 then do not buy a TJ to daily drive if you are concerned about ride quality too. You can probably get the right shocks and springs and keep a similar ride, but you will be nowhere near as quiet or comfortable in the TJ without having a hard top, carpet, insulation. I do not suggest it unless you really plan to play off road or want a convertible. Don't forget that you cannot tow much with it if you need to.

I love my Jeep and it is a semi-daily driver for me, but it will never be my sole vehicle to DD. I like the comforts of other vehicles too much. I love that I can get into my Jeep and go almost anywhere I want without worrying if I can get there and back no matter the terrain, but I love that I can have a conversation with the passenger at 70mph in my Chevy truck.

JustinCHorst 08-17-2012 12:40 PM

I find them to be very comfortable, and totally uncivilized a the same time...they dont corner they just go in a general direction...as for being bumpy Ive never noticed that much although having an LJ helps a bit....DDing a TJ is like using a sledgehammer for a job that could use a scalpel....I love it, but many dont so you will have to drive one to make that choice......oh and I dont even mind long distance trips with a small exception of range...I wish I had more before I had to fill up, mpgs be damned thats what the Cooper is for.

geoffmarton 08-17-2012 12:41 PM

I have a company car in addition to the 05 Sport. Every day, I wish I could talk my boss into putting the company's gas into my TJ so I could drive it instead. I love the way it rides, I love shifting, I love the seat, I love everything about it! Well, except the little leak I have to get to. ;)

biggyb23 08-17-2012 12:44 PM

Depends on what exactly your looking for. If your literally going to do a daily drive and dont plan on playing in the mud at ALL. Then i would get something with some better gas mileage. Mine is a daily drive and I get roughly 15...16 MPG? But, then again you always find me out in a field or a mud hole after a fresh rain.

BamaRolln 08-17-2012 12:58 PM

As long as life is good,,,, I will always own a Jeep,,,, but NEVER as my daily driver.

Life could go not so good suddenely and I could be forced to either sell my Jeep or sell one of my other vehicles (2012 Dodge Ram 1500, 2011 Acura MDX) and use my Jeep as my daily driver. Bad times is the only way I would use a Jeep as a daily driver.

But as long as life is good, my Jeep will ONLY be a take the top off all summer play toy.

bobbylx 08-17-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonycrd (Post 2694255)
What size tires?

It originally had 32x11.50x15's but I swapped to 31x10.50's. Honestly, I can't tell much difference driving wise between the 2.

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinsc (Post 2694473)
Mine is a DD but my commute is 2.6 miles round trip to work for me. If I had to drive a long distance everyday I would drive something else.

My commute is around 40 minutes, each way.
BUT, it's only about 13 miles, each way.

(Houston traffic, 8 to 5)

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRoweMDN (Post 2694508)
... but you will be nowhere near as quiet or comfortable in the TJ without having a hard top, carpet, insulation...

Not sure about the 'insulation' part, but I plan on having carpet in the TJ, and there will be times when the hardtop is on.

Quote:

... I do not suggest it unless you really ... want a convertible...

I've had :
  • 2 Honda Del Sols (Targa Top);
  • 1 Camaro (T-Tops);
  • 1 Covette (Targa Top).
Yeah, I'm ready for another convertible.

Quote:

... I love that I can have a conversation with the passenger at 70mph in my Chevy truck.

With the hardtop installed, how hard will it be to carry on a conversation with the passenger at 70 mph in a TJ?

chilly 08-17-2012 01:42 PM

Not sure with a hard top, but with my soft top TJ, most of the wind noise I have at 50+ is from the top, so I'd have to imagine a hard top might be a little quieter. I can carry on a conversation at 70, but I unquestionably have to speak up.

A TJ as a DD is a compromise (mine is my DD btw), but to me it's a perfectly acceptable one- I just love driving it!

vertical horizons 08-17-2012 01:45 PM

My brother-in-law has a 2007 with the soft top.
He says that, running at highway speeds, for all of his phone conversations, he has to yell.