Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rough country or rancho lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rough-country-or-rancho-lift-181092.html)

Jkfletch7 08-17-2012 06:10 PM

Rough country or rancho lift

Hey guys I'm pretty new here so I need some help. I have a 2012 jku Sahara. It is a DD but it sees it's share of mud dirt and rocks but nothing extreme just for fun. I just put on a set of new wheels and 33s and now I'm looking for a lift kit. I'm between the rough county series 2 2.5 inch spacer lift for 180 and the rancho sport 2 inch system with rs5000 shocks for 310 each shown in these links
Jeep JK Wrangler Suspension Lift
Rancho RS66109BR5 - Rancho 2" Sport System with RS5000 Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I want the lift for looks and some extra clearance. I don't care about losing the "stock" ride but I do not want something that is going to be uncomfortable on the road. If you guys could give me some pros and cons on these lift kits and even recommend me a different lift if you guys think it will be better. I just am trying to stay under about $350. Sell me on something thanks guys!

SilverSport 08-17-2012 07:26 PM

Jimbox has the Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift (metal spacers) and is happy with it.

Frshmt 08-17-2012 07:30 PM

Teraflex level kit. It's more than enough spacer lift without giving the hassles of an actual 2.5" spacer kit, which just gets to be a pain for barely any more clearance. Run this and when you're ready for 35s get some Bushwacker flares.

TeraFlex JK Leveling Kit

Teraflex kit I linked, 35s, and Bushwackers:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...U/52e24bdd.jpg

Frshmt 08-17-2012 07:34 PM

I always advise against RC. The quality is simply not there. I realize that with a spacer lift it's not a huge deal, but I still wouldn't bother. Shock extensions and everything are going to be just a big hassle. The Rancho shocks will make your $35k Sahara ride like a brick.

Get the Teraflex kit and run it with your stock red-bodied Sahara shocks. You will absolutely love the look while maintaining the factory ride quality.

Frshmt 08-17-2012 07:35 PM

Here's the level lift and 34x10.50 LTBs

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...U/441e7962.jpg

Brew 08-17-2012 07:44 PM

Neither.

Frshmt 08-17-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brew (Post 2695632)
Neither.

This forum needs a "Like" button! :wavey:

Olsen185 08-17-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frshmt (Post 2695597)
I always advise against RC. The quality is simply not there. I realize that with a spacer lift it's not a huge deal, but I still wouldn't bother. Shock extensions and everything are going to be just a big hassle. The Rancho shocks will make your $35k Sahara ride like a brick.

Get the Teraflex kit and run it with your stock red-bodied Sahara shocks. You will absolutely love the look while maintaining the factory ride quality.

Ever own a rough country kit? I bought the 3.5" RC kit for my 2012 Rubi, liked it so much I bought another kit for my wife's Sahara. I recently pulled the Teraflex budget boost off of the wife's jeep and replaced it with the RC kit. From someone that has had both, I chose the Rough Country.

Frshmt 08-17-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olsen185 (Post 2695749)
Ever own a rough country kit? I bought the 3.5" RC kit for my 2012 Rubi, liked it so much I bought another kit for my wife's Sahara. I recently pulled the Teraflex budget boost off of the wife's jeep and replaced it with the RC kit. From someone that has had both, I chose the Rough Country.

No, I haven't owned a Rough Country anything… and there's a reason.
I've ridden in enough RC-lifted vehicles to know better than to put it on anything I own. It's cheaper for a reason. I've helped to replace several RC (and Rancho) kits on JKs because they ride like freight trains and don't provide legitimate equipment to get things right.

They're cheaper for a reason. I saved until I could afford a quality kit from a reputable manufacturer and have zero complaints.

Again, with a spacer lift, the ride is primarily like stock, but look at all the drop brackets and extensions in that RC kit- that's ridiculous considering he'd only gain .5" up front and would still be quite fine on stock shocks with the Teraflex kit.

Jkfletch7 08-17-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frshmt (Post 2695597)

So the racho shocks ride rough?

Frshmt 08-17-2012 09:08 PM

Rancho, Procomp, Skyjacker… most of them are made by the same company and are not going to be anywhere near as smooth as a stock shock.

If you go with a full lift, get either Bilstein or OME (Old Man Emu) shocks. Honestly, though, I'd recommend the level lift and stock shocks. You'll be more than happy with that for a very long time.

Comparing all the brackets and junk included in the RC lift, you want to keep it simple. The Teraflex kit is two spacers on top of each front coil, one spacer on top of each rear coil, and replacement front swaybar end links. KISS

That Rancho lift is at least more legitimate with shocks and springs, but they're a linear spring (as opposed to a progressive rate coil) and will be a very rough ride compared to stock (which are progressive), especially with Rancho shocks compared to factory shocks.

Steve79 08-17-2012 09:25 PM

RC is on a come back!

But that said I ran a teraflex BB with 35's for a long time. Bilstein 5100's and a TF BB is a good combo!

I ran the RC 2.0 shocks for a while and liked them better than my rubi shocks but the 5100's are my top choice for a budget shock.

Olsen185 08-17-2012 09:32 PM

I see you have the RK 3.5" flex, which is a nice system (if you $1500+ to spend on the lift and shocks). But for the money ($499) you can't beat the RC 3.5" kit. Shocks, springs, bump stops, sway bar links, corrected lower control arms, front and rear track bar brackets, drop pitman arm and brake brackets. I added adjustable front track bars and ditched the drop pitman arms.

Hell AEV uses brackets for everything, and that kit is $1300!!! They use a bracket for control arms, front and rear control arms, and brackets for front sway bars (instead of longer sway bars).

Frshmt 08-17-2012 09:45 PM

To each his own, man. He asked for advice and I'm giving him my opinion. We replaced a Rancho lift with drop brackets on everything (with a RK 3.5) two weeks ago and we have another guy with a RC lift waiting to order a RK 2.5 as soon as the money comes together so he can ditch the awful ride.

I didn't spend $32k on my Jeep to make it ride like it's straight out of 1992 with a Rough Country lift. There's a reason they're cheap and there's a reason there's "Rough" in the name. That's my input for the original poster.

I'll step out of this discussion here because it seems to me that tensions are rising and I'm not here to get heated up trying to help people… just offering my advice from my own experiences with various lift systems.

OP, good luck with what you choose and I hope it's all you want it to be.

Steve79 08-17-2012 10:07 PM

If your gonna do it right the first time the this is greattttt advice! Points are dead on!

$$$$$$$. Is the key either save for the good stuff or budget boost it and save for a while!

Jkfletch7 08-17-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frshmt (Post 2695983)
To each his own, man. He asked for advice and I'm giving him my opinion. We replaced a Rancho lift with drop brackets on everything (with a RK 3.5) two weeks ago and we have another guy with a RC lift waiting to order a RK 2.5 as soon as the money comes together so he can ditch the awful ride.

I didn't spend $32k on my Jeep to make it ride like it's straight out of 1992 with a Rough Country lift. There's a reason they're cheap and there's a reason there's "Rough" in the name. That's my input for the original poster.

I'll step out of this discussion here because it seems to me that tensions are rising and I'm not here to get heated up trying to help people… just offering my advice from my own experiences with various lift systems.

OP, good luck with what you choose and I hope it's all you want it to be.

Thank you very much for your help and advice. I really appreciate you sharing you're knowledge with me and I will keep all that you said in mind

Frshmt 08-18-2012 11:19 AM

I just want to add that going from the Rancho 4" kit to the RK 3.5" kit, he gained about 1.5"… that's not to say the RK gives that much more lift, but the Rancho kit had sagged BIG TIME since install.

That said, the Rancho stuff was on his Jeep when he bought it so he has no clue how old it is or how hard they rode it… but his Jeep only has 87,000 miles so it couldn't have had any more than that.

Again, good luck. Sorry if my last post ended on a pissy note- it's not what I intended, but my wife was rushing me out the house so I had to cut it short.

All due respect to those in this thread; hope I didn't step on any toes with what I posted.

pluke the 2 08-18-2012 12:08 PM

A lot of people are happy with their RC lifts and a lot are unhappy. While I can guarantee the good out weighs the bad, I dont think RCs more expensive kits come with any brackets... (Which is a good thing) I could be wrong. I recommend other suspension for the reasons listed by some of the above posters, but Rough Country meets and succeeds other Jeep enthusiasts expectations.

But if had to choose between the.two lifts above, I'd go Rancho.

I don't see very many complaints from guys with Rancho suspensions. But the market share between thw two suspension mfgs above is heavily balanced towards RC.

prophet 08-18-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frshmt (Post 2695857)
No, I haven't owned a Rough Country anything… and there's a reason.
I've ridden in enough RC-lifted vehicles to know better than to put it on anything I own. It's cheaper for a reason. I've helped to replace several RC (and Rancho) kits on JKs because they ride like freight trains and don't provide legitimate equipment to get things right.

They're cheaper for a reason. I saved until I could afford a quality kit from a reputable manufacturer and have zero complaints.

Again, with a spacer lift, the ride is primarily like stock, but look at all the drop brackets and extensions in that RC kit- that's ridiculous considering he'd only gain .5" up front and would still be quite fine on stock shocks with the Teraflex kit.

You probably haven't rode on the new RC 2.0 series shocks then because they are incredibly smooth, yet have the dampening to firm up when you hit the trails and encounter the sharper bumps. This 3.5" kit does include all the bracketry needed to get the trackbars lined and raised as well. It also includes 10* shims for the rear coils that many other kits Don't. I'm pleased with mine.

Frshmt 08-18-2012 02:12 PM

I've ridden in a two door with ~3" RC lift and the 2.0 shocks and he's the one packing away money to replace his lift ASAP. He hates it.

prophet 08-18-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frshmt (Post 2697712)
I've ridden in a two door with ~3" RC lift and the 2.0 shocks and he's the one packing away money to replace his lift ASAP. He hates it.

Their 3.5" series II is their only kit kit that has the new 2.0 series shocks. I'd bet you're friend had the 2.2's which had a reputation for being overly firm. These 2.0's could never be nistaken for too firm...if anything they'd be criticized for being soft.

ranjr 08-18-2012 03:36 PM

I bought the RC 2.5" BB with rear track bar bracket and sway bar end links off Craigslist new for $150. I'm running it with my stock Rubi shocks with extensions and have zero issues. It clears my 315/70s fine until I disconnect my front sway bar then it rubs the fenders like crazy. I'll be trimming my fenders soon.

It rides like a lifted Jeep and clears my tires until I can save up enough for coil overs. Best $150 I've spent (on the Jeep).

Frshmt 08-18-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophet (Post 2697744)
Their 3.5" series II is their only kit kit that has the new 2.0 series shocks. I'd bet you're friend had the 2.2's which had a reputation for being overly firm. These 2.0's could never be nistaken for too firm...if anything they'd be criticized for being soft.

It may be 2.2, to be honest with you. I'll concede on that point.

gr8fulKID 08-18-2012 07:14 PM

I love my teraflex 2.5 budget boost with teraflex shocks. Bought for 500

Olsen185 08-18-2012 08:30 PM

I actually just installed my 3rd Rough Country kit today, 3 in the last 3 weeks. My buddy liked how my jeep rode so well he bought the same RC kit (3.5"). He seemed pretty happy.

prophet 08-18-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olsen185 (Post 2698536)
I actually just installed my 3rd Rough Country kit today, 3 in the last 3 weeks. My buddy liked how my jeep rode so well he bought the same RC kit (3.5"). He seemed pretty happy.

I think RC has a hit with the 3.5 II. I'm not sure if there are as many fans of the old style 2.2 shocks as this system with the N2.0's.

Olsen185 08-18-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophet (Post 2698561)
I think RC has a hit with the 3.5 II. I'm not sure if there are as many fans of the old style 2.2 shocks as this system with the N2.0's.

I would have liked longer brake lines instead of he brake drop brackets, but I'm pretty happy with the kit. Im also not a fan of how the jeep drove with the drop pitman arm so i pulled it off. Their customer service is top notch too. They are allowing a 60 day money back garuntee if you don't like the kit. Also my first kit arrived to my house from Morris 4x4 without the front track bar bracket. I called Morris up and they couldn't really care about the inconvenience, RC on the other hand upgraded my second kit to an adjustable track bar for free because of my problem with the first order through Morris.

Olsen185 08-18-2012 09:03 PM

All that said, if I had an additional $1000 for the lift, I would have gone with the Rock Krawler 3.5" lift. Everything is done right with that kit. I just didn't have that much extra money. But the two kits aren't really competing for the same buyer.

2five22 08-19-2012 02:44 AM

I had the factory installed Rancho RS5000 shocks on my Ford F350 FX4 package. They were okay for a bit and then degraded quickly. I installed Bilstein 5100 shocks and have been pleased ever since.

RC was the gold standard in the 1970s. Based on what I have seen, newer manufacturers like Teraflex have a better product and better engineering.

Ride in as many differing set ups as you can and then decide for yourself.

wmwhitey 08-19-2012 03:22 AM

This is the RC lift I have and one of my friends has the rancho lift and he and I like my lift more I get more flex and everything out of the RC. I will say I thing RC has made large steps in making there lifts better and would buy RC again.