Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tow Points (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tow-points-181117.html)

Renagade119 08-17-2012 07:26 PM

Tow Points

Its a well known fact that ever TJ has 2 tow hook on the front bumper to get towed/pulled out of whatever shinanigans you've gotten yourself into. But Ive got another question, what tow points do TJ's have on the back for pulling people out? I know you can get tow hooks and D-shackles that fit into the receiver but are there any factory tow points that you can use to tow people out?

eagle223 08-17-2012 08:05 PM

There is a factory recovery hook that is on the drivers side rear, not all have that option however, just like not all tjs have front tow hooks.

Renagade119 08-17-2012 08:19 PM

Ohh?! Really? I thought all jeeps had front tow hooks, now I needa go see if I got that hook on the back. Any suggestions on how to mount/where to mount hooks on the back?

eagle223 08-17-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renagade119
Ohh?! Really? I thought all jeeps had front tow hooks, now I needa go see if I got that hook on the back. Any suggestions on how to mount/where to mount hooks on the back?

Do you currently have a tow hitch on the back? I have recovered my Cherokee and recovered trucks by using a tow strap in the tow hitch secured by the tow receiver hardware. I also recovered my Cherokee by the front axle because it didn't have the front tow hooks, there's always a way to recover a stuck vehicle with a little ingenuity and enough recovery gear. And i would say look for holes on the driver rear to mount the hook seeing as that's where they would come from the factory, if there aren't any holes from the factory, you could always drill into the frame and secure the hook with grade 8 hardware.

Renagade119 08-17-2012 08:34 PM

I got a few holes, but none of them seem close enough together to be mounting points for hooks. As for the drilling Im not sure if I wanna be doing that quite yet. Ive been looking into the D-shackles that fit into the hitch receivers, got any opinions?

BLK00TJ 08-17-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renagade119 (Post 2695960)
I got a few holes, but none of them seem close enough together to be mounting points for hooks. As for the drilling Im not sure if I wanna be doing that quite yet. Ive been looking into the D-shackles that fit into the hitch receivers, got any opinions?

If you have a hitch, that'll be your best option for recovery. I wouldn't keep it on all the time though. Store it in your console or glove box. I'm glad I don't have a hitch after seeing so many jeep drag those things around on big angles.

I drilled the one hole needed on each side for the frame-mounted hooks in the rear. The key things to do for that one is only drill through the one side of the frame, use grade 8 bolts. To bolt that one, I taped the nut to a wrench and fished it in through an access hole.

Renagade119 08-17-2012 09:04 PM

Smart man. I cant get rid of the hitch, I need that! so Ill probably take you up on the hitch d-shackle thingy. Still not too sure bout drilling a hole in the frame, seems a little sketchy to me...

BLK00TJ 08-17-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renagade119 (Post 2696039)
Smart man. I cant get rid of the hitch, I need that! so Ill probably take you up on the hitch d-shackle thingy. Still not too sure bout drilling a hole in the frame, seems a little sketchy to me...

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if you want. It's not that hard to do and that part of your frame doesn't support much. A 3/8" hole is nothing compared to the access hole used to put the wrench in.

Renagade119 08-17-2012 09:13 PM

Ohh ok, yea that would be sweet. Thanks man, though I cant put any hooks on it for a little while coming. Im literally broke, 0$ to my name:banghead::dance:

schnutzy 08-17-2012 09:19 PM

just make sure you have a good hitch pin if you are using a receiver mounted tow point. otherwise, they get loose, fall out, and lucky people like me find them going down the trail. :D

Renagade119 08-17-2012 09:21 PM

Hahahaaha sounds good man, thanks for the advice

eagle223 08-17-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnutzy
just make sure you have a good hitch pin if you are using a receiver mounted tow point. otherwise, they get loose, fall out, and lucky people like me find them going down the trail. :D

Had my hitch pin secured by the cotter pin on a standard one, worked well even when my buddy did a four wheel burnout pulling me out of a mud pit lol

Dragonii 08-17-2012 11:25 PM

One of the holes will need to be drilled, but this seems to be pretty common for rear hooks.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/gas/hook1.jpg

You can get the hooks at Harbor Freight or $10.

Renagade119 08-17-2012 11:36 PM

Thanks man, looks like a pretty solid setup. Think Ill set one up before winter hits, cause then Ill be in dire need of that

BLK00TJ 08-18-2012 01:43 PM

Here you go. I got my hooks from tractor supply for about $8 a piece and I forget how much I paid at Lowe's for the grade 8 hardware. I also used grade 8 washers to help distribute the weight. Knock on wood I haven't had to use them yet but they should hold up alright. You can see I scrape them when offroading so you can imagine the problems if you leave a hook in a hitch receiver the is both lower and sticks out further. You can get by with just one in most cases. I did two in case I needed to be pulled out from either corner.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...t/img_1685.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...t/img_1684.jpg

Jerry Bransford 08-18-2012 01:58 PM

Make sure when installing tow hooks onto the frame as shown in the above two posts NOT to drill all the way through the frame for the bolts. Only one side is drilled and the washers and nuts are fished up inside the frame via a factory hole in the bottom of the frame.

Through-bolting the frame should not be done because it starts buckling the frame at that location. Then the bolts loosen, then you retighten them which further buckles the frame sides towards each other.

That said, that frame mount is the best way to go... just use short Grade 8 bolts and put the nuts and washers inside the frame opening so it is bolted to just the outside of the frame. :)

Dragonii 08-18-2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Make sure when installing tow hooks onto the frame as shown in the above two posts NOT to drill all the way through the frame for the bolts. Only one side is drilled and the washers and nuts are fished up inside the frame via a factory hole in the bottom of the frame.

Through-bolting the frame should not be done because it starts buckling the frame at that location. Then the bolts loosen, then you retighten them which further buckles the frame sides towards each other.

That said, that frame mount is the best way to go... just use short Grade 8 bolts and put the nuts and washers inside the frame opening so it is bolted to just the outside of the frame. :)

Yep.... kind of on subject... I recently bought some frame tie ins and the guy that made them welded some short pieces to the bolt heads. You slip them into the frame and you can hold the rod to keep the bolts in place while you put the nuts on. Kind of a cool idea.

You can see them here.