Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   8.8 with Tri Link Truss build (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/8-8-with-tri-link-truss-build-181274.html)

jerryj 08-18-2012 02:51 PM

8.8 with Tri Link Truss build

1 Attachment(s)
Figure its time to get this build going while the weather is good.I broke my rear end at Tierra Del Sol jeep safari last year and decided it was time for an up grade.I found a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer at pick a part and took it home for 200$ about 4 hrs cutting and grinding and it was clean of all brackets.I ordered a Artec Truss kit that came to 360$ delivered.I have a Solid cover 65$ and adapter for the drive shaft 35$ coming also ,they should be here already but apparently there was some sort of shipping accident :facepalm:

I am running a 5.5" Rubicon Express HD Tri Link Kit,Light racing Hydraulic bump stops,3" King shocks,Rock Jock anti sway kits front and rear.I also installed a Genright roll cage PRP seats and 5 pt harnesses the front bumper tube fenders and fold down tire carrier I made.

Today I removed the Dana 35 from the jeep really wish the adapter came because I cant do the truss level since i need to make it work for me I have to build it in place.Ill post some pics of the progress when there is some.

LilYeller 08-18-2012 03:07 PM

:popcorn:

IndyJeepMan 08-18-2012 03:32 PM

The Artec goes on smooth man, you can just buy my axle :)

jerryj 08-21-2012 09:36 PM

Well I bolted the wheels on the new axle so i could wheel it down to the jeep,this is a real pain alone dam things heavy imagine that.I got the adapter from ECGS and Solid diff cover which is really heavy nice and thick.I got the drive shaft put together and bolted in got the lower control arm brackets on with arms attached the truss tacked on so the tri link will land dead center on top and tacked the spring buckets on at a good angle.I had to chop the exhaust off to push the upper arms up which is ok because they ran them so close together it rattled when at idle any way.The shock mounts that come with the kit dont fit my shocks the shocks are too big so Im gonna call and see if they will swap me.Im gonna get every thing done up to the upper mount then really spend some time there.The way I set the truss up makes it easy to make a nice mount.I'll try to get pics if I get it pulled back out tomorrow.

jerryj 08-27-2012 11:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok so I been pretty busy lately but I got some good stuff done.I went to Off Road Warehouse and got some shock mounts that fit my shocks limit strap mounts and some new anti rock mounts.I got all the mounts and tabs welded up.I took a crack at it then my brother in law showed up hes my certified welder at work and put me to shame.He went over the whole thing again and made it sooooo perty.I had to modify the bump pad / spring retainer because I have hydro bump stops and their bolt sticking through would not work out too well for me.I welded a grade 8 bolt inside the hole in the pad they supply and screw it in so we'll see how that goes I feel pretty good about it.I cut the brackets I wont be using off the truss which sucks because that makes 8 pieces of the kit im not using.We made the box that bolts to the top of the truss for the tri link we welded the plates on both sides tonight too.I just need to clean it all up drill a few holes and put it all back together.Im excited it looks really awesome!:dance:

jerryj 08-27-2012 11:58 PM

How do you like my 10,000 sq ft open air garage I leveled the dirt spot out perfectly before I started lol.:D

jerryj 08-29-2012 12:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
primed and started painting it tonight not in any hurry I dont have any brake lines yet hopefully go to pick a part this weekend.Took some pics with my crappy phone lets see how it looks.

jerryj 08-29-2012 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the top piece on ready to bolt down.

LilYeller 08-29-2012 06:58 AM

I was wondering what color you were going to paint that.

jerryj 08-29-2012 08:30 AM

ya black with a red diff should look good with the Solid Diff cover if it looks funky I'll just shoot it all black but I think it looks cool.

LilYeller 08-29-2012 06:14 PM

The diff cover will look great in red. I also painted the calipers with the same color high temp paint as the diff cover, we will see how well it holds up.

mncdriver 08-29-2012 07:42 PM

Your shop is decorated just like mine, open fresh air. I have rug envy!

jerryj 08-29-2012 11:04 PM

Lil yeller Ya I figure its only gonna look that good once and probably not for long.

mncdriver Ya she kicked the rug out of the kitchen it was nice to lay on burns fast though gotta hurry and put it out lol.

jerryj 08-30-2012 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here it is all ready go in.

jerryj 09-03-2012 12:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I got the axle in, every thing hooked up that I had.I ran to Pick a part and grabbed some parking brake cables out of a grand cherokee.I also grabbed two right side flex lines for the calipers but I dont like the mounting options they leave me because of how short they are.I could make what I have work but I think ill look into some custom braded lines so I can mount them to the top of the truss.If any one has any experience with this please chime in.I would rather not have the hard line exposed to being smashed so I was thinking about running braded line all the way to the splitter on the truss.Is that ok or does it allow for expansion and take away from performance whats the best way to go if you know.I just need to hook up the brakes and put the exhaust back in and its done.Bummer the part store is closed today :banghead:

mncdriver 09-03-2012 04:28 PM

I put 8.8 in my YJ last winter. I used all -3 AN fittings, hard line on the housing and steel braded to caliper. I put it right on top and made brackets to clamp to. worked good for me, and if I have a problem on the trail I can just cap and plug fairly easy. I still havent hooked up my parking brake. how do GC cables hook up?

jerryj 09-03-2012 07:57 PM

The cables go in easy its harder to get them off the Grand I used my truck key to get them off and you dont need any tools to hook them up just pop them in the hole and hook them on.

I also got the exhaust in with the help of my brother in law and no more idle rattle yay only listened to that for 5 years lol.

Rawkon 09-04-2012 10:18 AM

Haha we have the same eat my dust sticker

jerryj 09-04-2012 02:46 PM

James the owner of RDM Off road gives them out at the expo I think is where i got mine.They say I make more dust then every one else so I put it on there lol..

Rawkon 09-05-2012 12:36 AM

yeaaa buddy we gotta go do a run. im thinking mojave road this november....

jerryj 09-05-2012 02:19 PM

I might be able to swing that.Im putting a 8.8 and a long arm kit on a buddys cherokee that would be a good place to test it out maybe I can get him to come too.I was just in Pismo with no jeep I'd like to get up there again.

jerryj 09-17-2012 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got lost in some seriously good fishing for a while there but I finally made it home to finish the jeep.I got the brake lines all figured out and made the hard lines got it all bled out and went for a ride.Every thing looks and sounds good so far except under a final inspection I noticed one of my caps was cracked on one of my u joints so I swapped those baby's out after work today.Tomorrow is the true test to take it out on the Hwy.

MarkNog 10-25-2012 08:54 PM

Why are your shocks on the front of the axle?

jerryj 10-28-2012 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran them that way for stability because I could tie them into the roll cage, the shocks are huge and wouldnt fit under the jeep.I had to sacrafice a seat in the back though.

dezertrat84 10-28-2012 01:30 AM

What is the shocks lengths front and rear.i have 14s and 16s and was curious if 16s are too long.

jerryj 10-28-2012 06:44 PM

You can get 12" out of the front and I have 14" on the rear the only hang up on the rear was the e brake cable and that was easy enough to fix.I limit them to 11" and 13" with straps.

dezertrat84 10-28-2012 07:59 PM

Oh bummer i guess i will just throw these shocks away if they wont work .lol

Thanks for the info...nice jeep btw...

jerryj 10-28-2012 08:33 PM

Just limit the front to 12" it really binds after 12" ,15" or 16" will work on the rear if you un bolt the e brake bracket.I made spring retainers for mine so they dont fall out.

dezertrat84 10-28-2012 09:08 PM

Do u have any pics of the e brake...

jerryj 10-28-2012 10:30 PM

Nope its ugly I never took a picture of it. :)