Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Best shock (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/best-shock-181365.html)

thejeepdangler 08-18-2012 09:43 PM

Best shock

What do you guys believe is the better shock for a 0" lift?
Fox racing
Bilstein heavy dury
Old man emu
Also I do a little bit of towin

Derp 08-18-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejeepdangler
What do you guys believe is the better shock for a 0" lift?
Fox racing
Bilstein heavy dury
Old man emu
Also I do a little bit of towin

Fox doesn't make a shock that will fit at that height and without modification.

Bilstein 5100's are a better choice over the HD's

OME shocks kind of suck now compared to the old design they have since abandoned.

You also forgot the rancho RS9000's which are fully adjustable.

Personally I vote rancho or bilstein. They're both great shocks, and kolak on jeepforum can get you a set of four for 285 with free shipping.

thejeepdangler 08-18-2012 10:27 PM

Hmm I did.not.know that thank you and.how do the ranchos work exactly?

autopc25 08-18-2012 11:02 PM

I replaced my stock shocks at 130K with Monroe Matics. They were really a bad shock. They handled worst then the old shocks I took off and did not last a year. 3 out of 4 started to leak and blew out after 8 months! I traded them for the better Monroe Sensatrac under warranty. The Sensatrac were better then the stock shock in every way. Better ride, way less bounce on rough streets, better handling on the street and highway. Problem is one of them is leaking after 14 months. The leaking shock is a lot softer then the other 3 shocks but still has pressure. I am getting rid of them for Bilsteins so I can be done with it once and for all.

The Bilstein Yellow Heavy Duty shock is supposed to be a excellent shock for smoother street and highway use. It is supposed to be firmer but less harsh then stock. Control and handling is supposed to be much better then stock on smoother surfaces. A friend replaced her 10 year old stock Sahara stocks with the Bilstein HD and said the ride is much-much smoother and more comfortable. It is her daily driver and she drives 99% in the City on paved streets and highways, no off-road.

The Bilstein 5100 for 0"-2" lift height is supposed to have a softer rebound then the Yellow HD shock. The slower rebound is supposed to be better for rougher roads or off road use. The 5100 is supposed to be much better then stock for street, highway, rough roads, and off road. Control and handling over rough roads is supposed to be vastly superior to stock. I drive 100% in the City on pothole infested streets. The streets are very rough. It is urban off-road. Kolak suggested the 5100 since my streets are very rough and pothole infested. He said the softer rebound will help control the suspension better. I ordered a set of 5100 for 0"-2" lift because I am installing a set of +1" H&R springs to replace my 160K mile springs. My 5100 0"-2" were back ordered for a long time. Kolak emailed and told me the shocks are trickling in. I should get them in the mail next Tues! I will post after I install them.

thejeepdangler 08-18-2012 11:06 PM

How do I contact Kolak? And I drive lots off highway and mild offroad so 5100?

Derp 08-18-2012 11:29 PM

The ranchos have a dial on them, and you can contact him on jeep forum or via email.

autopc25 08-18-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejeepdangler (Post 2699128)
How do I contact Kolak? And I drive lots off highway and mild offroad so 5100?

Many feel Bilstein is the highest quality shock. I ordered from Kolak also. Kolak has been excellent. He knows Bilstein and Jeeps. Only issue is Bilstein can be slow with production and parts might be back ordered. You should email him to see if what you need is in stock.

kolak@aol.com

Derp 08-19-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopc25

Many feel Bilstein is the highest quality shock. I ordered from Kolak also. Kolak has been excellent. He knows Bilstein and Jeeps. Only issue is Bilstein can be slow with production and parts might be back ordered. You should email him to see if what you need is in stock.

kolak@aol.com

0-2" shocks are on backorder. I can tell you that.

If you don't like waiting go rancho. Personally I'd wait but that's just me.

Rubicon06Va 08-19-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 2698974)
Fox doesn't make a shock that will fit at that height and without modification.

Bilstein 5100's are a better choice over the HD's

OME shocks kind of suck now compared to the old design they have since abandoned.

You also forgot the rancho RS9000's which are fully adjustable.

Personally I vote rancho or bilstein. They're both great shocks, and kolak on jeepforum can get you a set of four for 285 with free shipping.

x2, Bilstein 5100! :thumb: There's a specific part # for Bilstein shock taylored for the Wrangler. I've heard several Jeepers disappointed cause they purchased Bilstein HD which are too stiff.

orange05tj 08-19-2012 07:15 AM

For 0" lift, go with the Bilstein HDs. I ordered mine from Quadratec and had them the next day. Best shock I ever owned.

Muddeprived 08-19-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 2699627)
For 0" lift, go with the Bilstein HDs. I ordered mine from Quadratec and had them the next day. Best shock I ever owned.

This.

I stuck em on my 99 TJ with 81k miles. They are an amazing shock. The faster you go, the better they work. Top notch. I run their 5100's on my XJ too.

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 08:24 AM

Are they fine for.trails to and just really.bumpy ground cuz I work on a farm and when I drive.to the woods its about 1 mile of speed.bump like.grass?

orange05tj 08-19-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Are they fine for.trails to and just really.bumpy ground cuz I work on a farm and when I drive.to the woods its about 1 mile of speed.bump like.grass?

I have no complaints. We have property on the river and have to drive on trails to get there and its like driving on the street. After all the shocks Ive been through these are the best yet. Well worth the $

autopc25 08-19-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 2699551)
0-2" shocks are on backorder. I can tell you that.

If you don't like waiting go rancho. Personally I'd wait but that's just me.

I was in the same boat and decided to wait for the 5100 based on what I read about them and Rancho.

The 5100 series is a very popular shock set up. It should not be long if someone wants the 5100. Only the rear 0"-2" 5100 were on national back order. I ordered about 3 weeks ago from Kolak. Kolak emailed me last Fri and said the 0"-2" 5100 are starting to ship. I just got a tracking number from him. Mine shipped last Fri and should be here on Tues. Kolak has been great about keeping me in the loop about inventory. His prices are excellent. He knows Bilstein products and Jeeps well also. Give him a call and ask him what his recommendation is for your application.

My second choice would have been the Bilstein Yellow HD if I did not want to change my springs and had to have shocks without waiting. My friend who is not a car person loves her Bilstein HDs. She said she would have replaced the shocks out on day one if she knew the change was so much improved and dramatic. Her opinion is very unbiased because she did not even know what brand she bought at first, all she knew was she replaced her shocks and the ride got better.

Can't wait to install them!

Jerry Bransford 08-19-2012 10:03 AM

Rancho's R9000xl is very hard to beat for a high-end shock. With 9 firmness settings you can easily adjust with a knob, you can make it ride however you want it to.

Gary2 08-19-2012 07:10 PM

I was just a little concerned when I had the 9000XLs about snow,ice or pieces of wood damaging the little knobs and and I remember how much fun air lines were .I dealt with air shocks in the late 60s , hated air lines . We never had any snow last winter and that TJ is gone . I use Bilstein 5100s ,no knobs and I have no desire to change the settings . Bilstein seems to know shocks better than I thought I did when I had the " I could never stop adjusting Ranchos"

Jerry Bransford 08-19-2012 07:19 PM

Standard R9000xl shocks don't need air lines, that's strictly an optional upgrade to make them adjustable from the cab. So far as the knobs go, they are run like that on some of the toughest trails imagineable like that without problem. That said, if it still concerns you, all you need to do is turn the shocks around so the knobs point inward as I did when I ran Rancho R9000 shocks years ago. Even turned around they are still easily adjustable.

Gary2 08-19-2012 07:35 PM

I understand the air line is an option but so was the AEV shock relocation lower brackets I had . I would not be able to adjust them if they turned around if they didn't get broken off mounting them backwards to begin with . Not arguing they are an OK shock , just making potentail customers aware " before " they buy . All may not be as great as some make them sound

Derp 08-19-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary2
I understand the air line is an option but so was the AEV shock relocation lower brackets I had . I would not be able to adjust them if they turned around if they didn't get broken off mounting them backwards to begin with . Not arguing they are an OK shock , just making potentail customers aware " before " they buy . All may not be as great as some make them sound

Maybe you're just challenged or have a "deficiency of intelligence".

JPi4.0 08-19-2012 08:30 PM

Bilstein 5100. You will never regret it for that application.

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 08:35 PM

If i do fwt a lift I might buy a BDS lift.should I keep their.shocks or.customize it.with no shocks and get bilsteins? It ill probs stay no lift and.get bilstein hds

Derp 08-19-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

If i do fwt a lift I might buy a BDS lift.should I keep their.shocks or.customize it.with no shocks and get bilsteins? It ill probs stay no lift and.get bilstein hds

Bds 2" coil set 220$, bilstein 5100's 285$ that's as cheap as it gets to lift with good quality.

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp

Bds 2" coil set 220$, bilstein 5100's 285$ that's as cheap as it gets to lift with good quality.

What about all the little like washers nuts bolts.and other.hardware?

Derp 08-19-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

What about all the little like washers nuts bolts.and other.hardware?

Their is no other hardware. You can reuse your shock bolts. The only thing you may need to address is bumpstops and that's easy!

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 09:18 PM

Really all the other things are fine? That's great so just bmpstops ok sounds good thanks

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 09:23 PM

Ok so I understand that, I'm just torn between HD and 5100 I drive highway loads?

Derp 08-19-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Ok so I understand that, I'm just torn between HD and 5100 I drive highway loads?

5100's definitely :p

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 09:39 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate it

thejeepdangler 08-19-2012 10:09 PM

Aren't the 5100's for a 0"-2" lift.?

Derp 08-19-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Aren't the 5100's for a 0"-2" lift.?

They're for any height. It all depends on what length shock you buy.