Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   My signature (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/my-signature-18218.html)

kg4kpg 05-03-2008 07:36 PM

My signature

I have this same one on another forum and was attacked with these two post. Should I cave and change my sig, or hold my ground? I don't feel there is anything wrong with it, I fought for theright to quote it, being that I didn't say it in the first place.

Quote:

I'm not interested anymore although I'm sure you don't care Kg4kpg.

We pussies during Viet Nam were only voting with our conscience.

Edit: I was 1A and my lottery number was 87. Imagine that, you didn't even get to choose about service. But it was 1974 so there was little chance of being drafted. I went to see my Pastor; in our faith no war is a good war, and he suggested I ask for alternative service. So I went down to the SSA and sat in front of a group of pretty intimidating guys (remember I'm 18), in uniform who read my letter, asked me a bunch of questions, and reclassified me 1AO (armed forces/alternate service, full exposure to combat but unarmed), which suited my moral position as a pacifist.

I actually thought it took a lot of balls to a) not run off, b) face the music, and c) make my case successfully. Now I'll be the first to admit that the stakes weren't as high as they might have been in 1968, but I balanced serving my country with doing what I felt was right at that time.

I'd be glad to PM you my own feelings, but you make the first move. In the meantime, I think your sig line is really divisive. We are supposed to be friends here, friend.

Quote:

Yah I thought Kg4kpg's tagline was pretty offensive as well. I wasn't going to say anything, but to be honest when I read it, I almost decided not to join this build. I don't know him at all so I have a neutral bias. My father got drafted, my mom and him were very hesitant about joining the war. Before my dad was shipped off he was injured in Basic training and they decided for some reason not to ship him off when he healed up but keep him due to his excelerated academics. I went with my dad and saw the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall. He broke down in tears seeing many of his close friends on the wall. I think perhaps the only time i've seen my dad get emotional.

Regardless I think nationalistic/fascist comments like "love it or leave it", "Go fight in war or your a pussy" are blatently un-american. I'll tell you what though, I would fight for this countries highest ideals (when it truly is under threat) and in America we have the right to free-speech. So even if people want to put mindlessly divisive nationalistic propaganda in their taglines, i'd be willing to fight for their right to do it even when I am adamently against their message.

parrot head 05-03-2008 07:42 PM

Don't cave man. I can't stand all the PC bull that goes on in the world today. If they wan't to complain about your stance just remind them how Vietnam vets were treated over here when they returned from Nam. How they were spit on and called baby killers etc.

kg4kpg 05-03-2008 07:54 PM

I'm not. They can delete my account first if they want. I don't even know when Gen Franks said this or if he really said it. I was more humored by it than anything else.

rthdtj 05-03-2008 08:25 PM

You dont owe an explanation to anyone...whether anyone else agree's with you or not. You're an individual in the greatest country on earth, You/We/I served our country and we know why.

jpdocdave 05-03-2008 08:46 PM

keep it

4point 05-03-2008 11:18 PM

Thats just 2 guys opinion's. You have the same right to express yours. Its not offensive, and its not "in your face" like the anti-war protesters. Screw'em!

debruins 05-03-2008 11:36 PM

the reason the army is fighting is to let us be able to protest the war, so how are they pussies if they are excersicing the right that the soldiers have given them, what's the point of going to war if your gonna call everyone who benefits from our freedoms a pussy?

not sure i worded that properly but get my gist?

but u can do w/e u want thats also the point of our country (kinda), leave it up if u want!!

4point 05-03-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 225441)
the reason the army is fighting is to let us be able to protest the war, so how are they pussies if they are excersicing the right that the soldiers have given them, what's the point of going to war if your gonna call everyone who benefits from our freedoms a pussy?

but u can do w/e u want thats also the point of our country (kinda), leave it up if u want!!

They are not fighting so you can protest bruin, they are fighting so we all can be free.

debruins 05-04-2008 12:03 AM

and being free means the ability to protest, the reason for our type of government is that people can voice their opinions and they will be heard by the government

Smeghead 05-04-2008 12:14 AM

Im surprised you havent been reprimanded already on this forum
Personally I love the sig keep it!

amy 05-04-2008 01:32 AM

Why would he be reprimanded?
Kg4kpg, I think your sigline is funny. If some people don't like it, they're free to not read it.

[TheYJGuy] 05-04-2008 03:16 AM

Keep the signature, kg4kpg. After all, it's the truth :punk:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...my/2wbuyz9.jpg

cherokee980 05-04-2008 06:24 AM

Screw the tree huggin' bastards!! JMO

activelydying 05-04-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 225455)
If some people don't like it, they're free to not read it.

Exactly. Keep it.:)

jpdocdave 05-04-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 225441)

i don't think they're fighting so you can say they shouldn't be. kinda defeats the purpose, so with that logic if they didn't fight-then you couldn't protest-then you'd be happy cuz there's no war, and no protest. mixed up logic. people that don't support our troops make me sick.

debruins 05-04-2008 09:39 AM

supporting troops and war is quite different
my friend goes to anti war protests almost once a week, but also sends care packages to the troops just as often
he thinks there is no reason for the war in iraq and we should concentrate on the "real" terrorists in afghanistan, so he protests the Iraq war
however he still supports our troops and knows they are putting their lives at risk for our country and so he supports them, but not the government's decision

2much 05-04-2008 09:46 AM

keep it. nuff said.

4point 05-04-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 225446)
and being free means the ability to protest, the reason for our type of government is that people can voice their opinions and they will be heard by the government

You still miss the point.

stinger124 05-04-2008 02:17 PM

I never served my country in the military, I got lucky enough to get a full ride in football and track.
But... To this very day, If our country needs me, I will do what I can to help out.
I have nothing but total respect for our country men and women. If it were not for them, we would not be where we are today, So I say THANK YOU for all that you have done, and for all that you will do.
I also love the saying in your sig. Does not offend me at all.
I also like the saying Love it or Leave it.. I wish more people would grow a backbone and tell the people here who complain about this and that if you do not like it, go somewhere else.
I hope you all stay strong in your faith and what you believe in and what you have fought so hard for, and for what so many lost there lives for.

sgnellett 05-04-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 225510)
supporting troops and war is quite different
my friend goes to anti war protests almost once a week, but also sends care packages to the troops just as often
he thinks there is no reason for the war in iraq and we should concentrate on the "real" terrorists in afghanistan, so he protests the Iraq war
however he still supports our troops and knows they are putting their lives at risk for our country and so he supports them, but not the government's decision

No, actually, it isn't different. By protesting the war in Iraq, your friend, whether he means to or not, or even knows it or not, is giving aid and comfort to our enemies. The terrorists that we are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and everywhere else around the world use those protests as recruiting tools, showing the junior jihadists that the American people don't support the troops.

And BTW KPG, they can take your sig when they pry it from your cold, dead hands!~ I know, I'm mixing metaphors, or something, but you get the point, although I think you already had it!

jpdocdave 05-04-2008 08:47 PM

ya, i don't think you can protest a war, and support the troops. sending care packages is great. but how do you protest what they're dying for, and still support them. i said in another thread, these guys volunteer, and revolunteer, and they believe in what they're risking their lives for. and they don't complain. you can't tell someone what you're dying for is stupid, but i support you.

rthdtj 05-04-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 225792)
ya, i don't think you can protest a war, and support the troops. sending care packages is great. but how do you protest what they're dying for, and still support them. i said in another thread, these guys volunteer, and revolunteer, and they believe in what they're risking their lives for. and they don't complain. you can't tell someone what you're dying for is stupid, but i support you.

Well..........I thing the reason your fighting you may not agree to. But the fact you're supporting/defending Democracy we support, thats what seperates us from them. Really-Really-Really its very much like our beliefs in Religon. I dont think it's a do as I say, not what I do position. But, the best part of all this is...we can express our opinions, agree to disagree & still stand beside each other when times get tough.

Smeghead 05-04-2008 10:03 PM

Theres alot of members of the Armed Forces that think the whole campaign is wrong and stupid, but they are there because its their duty and they re-up because they are patriots.

There are also alot of people that join to pay for college then suddenly find themselves in Iraq getting shot at.

kg4kpg 05-04-2008 10:11 PM

debruins, I don't feel protesting is a proper form of free speech but more of a rebellious activity that undermines our system (or any system) of government. One that our enemies enjoy watching I'm sure. I excercise my freedom of speech by writing my congressmen with my opinons, not bad-mouthing my government in the streets or spitting my soldiers, or calling them baby killers. And I agree with the above post saying your friend aides the enemy despite his proposed support of our troops. We are going to be fighting wars forever, it's human nature and the way nations are built. In closing...they can protest what they want, dislike what I say or quote all they want...I'll keep going to fight for them until I'm too old or they kill me trying. Or I can retire. :D The first protester that spits on me....well, I may excercise a couple rights as well.

Coyote_94YJ 05-05-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4kpg (Post 225826)
...I'll keep going to fight for them until I'm too old or they kill me trying. Or I can retire. :D The first protester that spits on me....well, I may excercise a couple rights as well.

Right behind ya man...all the way. My rotation is coming up real soon. I might not get to go this time around because I'm PCS'ing but I'll be there again I'm sure. As for the sig....I love it. I would use it too but that would just be weird, I think.

Chris

1BLKJP 05-05-2008 12:56 PM

I agree with it entirely. Keep it and tell them to go fawk themselves.

MOz 05-05-2008 02:01 PM

Don't change... Besides, if they throw you off then you can spend more time on WF and add your contributions.

joshuasv 05-05-2008 09:02 PM

Keep it....Sometimes the truth hurts, and they just want you to know that you've found some truth. Just so happens it relates to something in their past, which makes them lash out.

compshooter 05-06-2008 09:05 AM

Hmmmmmm.........First Amendment? Freedom of speech? I'm with you. Keep your sig. If you cave in to someone who doesn't agree with it, then everything our country is founded on begins to deteriorate.

kg4kpg 05-06-2008 09:52 AM

I kept it. The jack-booted thugs will have to ban me. It was just a few of the other forum members, no problem from the owners...yet. That forum must be owned by Obama. :D