Cannot Start My Wrangler :(
I'm really having a rough time on this. I've dumped a ton of time trying to solve the problem, but still no results. I've read threads on the Internet about Wrangler starting problems, but the ones where people had my exact symptoms, never said what their solution was.
Here's what happens:
- Turn key to On
- Dash lights up, Can also hear fuel pump prime
- Push Clutch In, Leave Stick in Neutral
- Turn key all the way forward to start
- Radio temporarily turns off, I hear a relay click from behind the glovebox
- Nothing Else happens
- Let key back to On
- Radio's back, Dash lights on
- This is a 2003 with a Manual Transmission
- Starter Relay Never Clicks, Ever
- I've Jumped the Starter Relay (#30 to #87 if i recall correctly) and the solenoid hits and you can hear the Flywheel turning very strongly, but the Jeep still doesn't start
- 20Amp fuse in the #20 slot to bypass the clutch detection Does Not Help
- Headlights do not dim when I try to start the jeep
- Pulling the Key Cylinder and turning the Actuator Pin while it's pushed in Does Not Help
- In June, I replaced both the Actuator Pin and the Ignition Switch
- I've replaced the Clockspring
- I have the black key, no security chip in mine
- Every fuse in both fuse boxes are good
This used to happen randomly to me, I'd just wait a bit, wiggle around and then try again and it would work. Until now, completely dead. The only thing I can figure is my Ignition Switch is bad, but is there a way to verify that? Also, why would this mean that even after jumping the starter relay, the Jeep still won't start?
Guys I've got a baby girl due in 1.5 months, I've gotta have this thing up and running and the stress is killing me. Thank you all for any help you can provide!
I should add, when I Jumped the Starter Relay, my key was at the On position
Question, have you tried pop starting it yet? and does it successfully run after doing so? I had a problem where I would hear the single click like it was going to start, and then it didn't. My issue was the starter.
at first for me, it was random, occasionally it would stop working, then it just never worked, until i brought it to the shop of course then it cranked like it was new.
I'm not sure what all you've tried... If your able to pop start, I would probably unbolt the starter, very easy, and bring it to advanced auto for a bench test.
ASD relay maybe
It will not turn over with the key but if you jump the starter relay it will?
Have you tried a different relay to see if it will turn over by key?
Checked the ASD relay, it's fine... even swapped with another I know works.
Even when I jump the starter relay, it won't start.
I went ahead and pulled the Ignition switch. I can use a screwdriver on that and it starts. Pulled the actuator pin off, and when I turned it, it made a light pop sound. Now I can turn the actuator pin and the Jeep will start. Reinstalled the pin and the switch back in, and now I can't get the key cylinder to push all the way into to the shaft and lock in. This is either my fail at aligning the key, or somethings up with the pin.
When I bought the pin a few months ago, I noticed that it didn't seem to be entirely smooth when I turned it back and forth, before installing it. So I spread the grease around and that seemed to help, but maybe Dorman products aren't very good quality?
What is this pin you speak of? I haven't had to pull an ignition switch before.
At least you got it running for now.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.