Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Do's and Don'ts for a first time Jeep owner- (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/dos-and-donts-for-a-first-time-jeep-owner-18311.html)

waynecotton 05-06-2008 09:45 PM

Do's and Don'ts for a first time Jeep owner-

I just got my new toy a 2006 Jeep SE-(yes a 4 banger-and it rocks!) I have already discovered the wonderful Erector Set Vehicle mentality engulfing my life...So what advice do you have-what have been you good upgrades and add ons and what have been some of your "What was I thinking?" moments?

Enjoying the trails in Texas-

debruins 05-06-2008 09:51 PM

depends on what you want to do with it
do you do a lot fo highway driving
or do you want to go offroading on rocks
offroading in the mud
jsut going around town and looking good
etc.

waynecotton 05-06-2008 09:57 PM

It will be an in-town commuter toy during the week and mostly trail running on the weekends-got get my feet wet before I rock crawl.

dj_chizzle 05-06-2008 10:03 PM

don't be one of those jeep owners who drive around with the top up on a nice day

waynecotton 05-06-2008 10:13 PM

I pledge to do my best to keep my Jeep in a constant state ready for the trails, always keep a little mud and dirt on it from the last adventure, wear new dings and dents from the wild as badges of honor, and always, always go topless whenever I can-even if my wife tells me to at least put my man bra back on!

Scout 05-06-2008 10:27 PM

Hey Wayne, welcome to the forum from a fellow Texas. :D

My only advice to you is to take your time and really think about where you want your Jeep to be in the long run. Don't waste too much money on a bunch of accessories that you'll wind up pulling off a few months later because you discovered something better. Take your time and plan it out. It'll be tough in the short term but your pocket book will thank you in the long run.

bpowa 05-06-2008 10:30 PM

dont buy a 4banger... Agh shucks i'm a jackass.. j/k

wave back...

SurfnSnow 05-06-2008 10:59 PM

X2 on what Scout said. Wheel it a few times (ok a lot) and see what it's weaknesses are and that'll give you an idea of what direction to go in.

nregas1 05-06-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfnSnow (Post 226590)
X2 on what Scout said. Wheel it a few times (ok a lot) and see what it's weaknesses are and that'll give you an idea of what direction to go in.

x2. No better way to quickly identify your needs and wants and separate the two.

MoA 05-06-2008 11:08 PM

surprised no one said this..

ALWAYS WAVE TO OTHER JEEPERS

rketr 05-06-2008 11:13 PM

Do...your research.

Do...join a club to get a hold of real experience. Also, use these guys to help with your "shopping list." (BTW, where in Texas are you?)

Do...laugh at Hummers (all of 'em).

Do...hit the trails with your rig exactly as it is right now. (you'll appreciate all the changes you do later if you do this)

Do...all the work on the rig that you can. Learn as you go. Doing this makes it YOURS, not the shop that puts it together for you.

Don't...listen to salesmen wanting to sell you crap.

Don't...jump the gun (see the first "Do" above).

Don't...sweat scratches or dents. They add character to your ride.

Don't...put on one of those stupid "you wouldn't understand" stickers. Those that DO understand wouldn't put one on.

Don't...put on one of those stupid "No Fear" poser stickers. "No fear" is shown and proven by gunning it up a 45 degree 30' tall rock slide named "The Widow Maker" or "Lucifer's Crack" or "Rattlesnake Ledge."

Don't...install useless poser chrome accessories. They just make us laugh.

Don't...wash the mud off too quickly. Leave it on for at least a couple days (or months in some cases (I'm still finding mud in my cab from over a year ago :doh:))

Don't...leave it in the garage. USE IT!

Don't...forget to take pictures of your progress as you build it. Its fun to take a look back at where you began later.

oh and the MOST important part of all!!!

Don't...tell the wife how much it actually costs! :punk:

nregas1 05-06-2008 11:20 PM

:rofl:Great post by rketr...but this is the best advise of all...I can't tell you how much trouble I'd be in if I didn't factor in 50% depreciation when she finally notices something different and asks how much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rketr (Post 226600)

Don't...tell the wife how much is actually costs! :punk:

Scout 05-06-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rketr (Post 226600)
Do...your research.

Do...join a club to get a hold of real experience. Also, use these guys to help with your "shopping list." (BTW, where in Texas are you?)

Do...laugh at Hummers (all of 'em).

Do...hit the trails with your rig exactly as it is right now. (you'll appreciate all the changes you do later if you do this)

Do...all the work on the rig that you can. Learn as you go. Doing this makes it YOURS, not the shop that puts it together for you.

Don't...listen to salesmen wanting to sell you crap.

Don't...jump the gun (see the first "Do" above).

Don't...sweat scratches or dents. They add character to your ride.

Don't...put on one of those stupid "you wouldn't understand" stickers. Those that DO understand wouldn't put one on.

Don't...put on one of those stupid "No Fear" poser stickers. "No fear" is shown and proven by gunning it up a 45 degree 30' tall rock slide named "The Widow Maker" or "Lucifer's Crack" or "Rattlesnake Ledge."

Don't...install useless poser chrome accessories. They just make us laugh.

Don't...wash the mud off too quickly. Leave it on for at least a couple days (or months in some cases (I'm still finding mud in my cab from over a year ago :doh:))

Don't...leave it in the garage. USE IT!

Don't...forget to take pictures of your progress as you build it. Its fun to take a look back at where you began later.

Don't...tell the wife how much it actually costs! :punk:

I may make this a stand alone Sticky. :D:D:D

rketr 05-06-2008 11:54 PM

:wavey:

Thought of a couple more:

Do...wave to other Jeepers. And return the wave if they beat you to it.

Do...help out other Jeepers in need (i.e. w/ a flat on the side of the road). Even if its a Barbie Jeep...

Do...only what you are comfortable doing on the trail. No need to get pushed into something you won't like.

Do...keep your body parts inside while wheeling. Rocks hurt...nuff said!

Do...trailer your rig to the offroad site (if you can). It sux breaking something and having to limp home...if even possible.

Do...name your ride. Makes it more personal to you.

Do...pace your modifications. No need to race getting everything at one time.

Do...writeups with pictures for mods that you do. I can't tell you how many times I've been helped by somebody who spent a few minutes documenting a given project.

Do...find out which rattle can (ie. spray paint) matches your color. Buy lots of it!

Do...keep track of what mods you do. Its fun to look back over the years.

Do...speak up and share experience. Another newbie is watching and likely has questions you can help with.

Don't...underestimate your Jeep. I guarantee you'll be amazed at what it will do for you (even with the 4 banger)

Don't...be afraid to mod stuff yourself. If it breaks or you screw it up, best thing about Jeeps is that there are 50044020 companies out there making replacement parts for every bolt in your rig.

Don't...listen to "outsiders". There is no such thing as "it is too tall" or "why would you do that?" or "hows the weather up there" or "I can actually park my Suburban under it!"

And another huge one:

Do...tread lightly. Do not destroy the trails out there. We don't need to give more reason for the bureaucrats to vie and try to take away our wheeling rights. It is hard enough to keep what we already have.

--

Ok...nuff from me...bed time :wavey:

Smeghead 05-07-2008 12:06 AM

Dont put an intake on it and dont call it a car lol

MoA 05-07-2008 12:17 AM

hey rketr.. mines been sitting in the garage for about a month and a half now..

its a work in progress..

new axles, regearing em, ect.. =p didnt mr cs jeep sit for like a year?

these things take time sometimes =p

rketr 05-07-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoA (Post 226622)
hey rketr.. mines been sitting in the garage for about a month and a half now..

its a work in progress..

new axles, regearing em, ect.. =p didnt mr cs jeep sit for like a year?

these things take time sometimes =p

I suppose the diff is that you ARE using it. Wrenching trumps the rule :D Was more referring to Mr. Bling who polishes the chrome with a diaper and has no idea what that 4-Lo thingy is.

Oh...here's yet another:

Don't...for he love of God, Don't...lower the Jeep. Or put 22's with rubber band tires on it. If you do, each and every other owner of a Jeep is allowed to stop by your house and smack you! :bottom:

MOz 05-07-2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 226607)

I second the motion.... this needs to be memorialized....

Welcome to WF Wayne....

waynecotton 05-07-2008 06:26 AM

Wow thanks for all the advice this is great!

Dare2BSquare 05-07-2008 07:55 AM

DO LISTEN TO SCOUT. (He's here to help)

robertv 05-07-2008 08:15 AM

i think not being lazy with your jeep is a big deal to fully enjoy it. check the weather, on nice days put the top down, when the weather is supposed to be bad dont be lazy about putting the top back up.

nregas1 05-07-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 226669)
DO LISTEN TO SCOUT. (He's here to help)

:rofl: Now that's funny.

Just look for this sign: :wavey: and you'll know he's near by ready to help.

nregas1 05-07-2008 09:08 AM

STICKY:punk:

keetz02 05-07-2008 09:45 AM

best one I have seen up here;

Don't...install useless poser chrome accessories. They just make us laugh.:rofl:

Ripcord 05-07-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keetz02 (Post 226690)
best one I have seen up here;

Don't...install useless poser chrome accessories. They just make us laugh.:rofl:

Dont hate on all the people with chrome. Some of us had stupid pre owners and can't afford to replace it yet. :flipoff:

Next thing to go after this lift is on tho! :D

rketr 05-07-2008 10:07 AM

More from a buddy of mine:

Do... chase down other modified Jeeps you see on the road, just to find out what they have.

Do... crawl underneath any modified Jeep you see, even if you don't know the person. If they catch you under their Jeep, they'll understand.

Do... a thorough inspection of your Jeep after every wheeling episode. Even if it was a light trail, as funny things can happen and you don't want to be caught with a faulty piece of equipment on or off road.

Do...watch your spotter at all times. He/She can see all aspects of what's going on, you can only see from the driver's view.

Don't... run bigger tires than your Jeep can handle. They're heavy, they break stuff.

Don't... push the breaks to the floor if you're going off a ledge and it gets tipsy, this will only carry the momentum from behind you and want to lay it over on it's top.

9JΞΞРωяλиglєя7 05-07-2008 10:30 AM

Nice! You live in Lewisville, I'll probably run into you sometime. Im over in Grapevine, I need a Jeep buddy to go offroading with. Need any help putting on mods ect. you know who to message. BTW listen to what these guys are saying, they know their $h!t.:wavey:

jp'rs_peep'rs 05-07-2008 12:06 PM

I'm thinking:

Do's....

For the love of christ please maintain your vehicle.

Change that oil reg...
Grease those zerks...
Rotate those tires...
Fill the fluids, all of 'em...
Make sure the lugs are tight...
Clean the air filter...
Wash the damn thing once -n- a while...
Obey the driving laws....
Tread at your own risk...
Please have insurance....
And go to some Jeep related functions....
Also protect your lights with some guards of some sort...
Vac it out once -n- a while....

It really isnt all that important to me if some likes chrome.
Here in SE WI. salt eats everything, so running all the chrome and stainless steel stuff is a no-brainer. When I went to get light, grill guards purchased all stainless steel. "Silver ('06 tj)" is used for biz primarily and needs to look good all the time.

Ya, know...if you wanna run speggeti strap tires and bling rims, knock youself out. Thats what I love about jeeps...anything that cranks your crank can be done.

C.

Jerry Bransford 05-07-2008 12:17 PM

There's lots of good advice above, here's one more basic kind... air down your tires when you offroad. Airing down does several good things for you... it makes the ride a LOT better but more importantly airing your tires down substantially improves traction and makes tire damage far less likely.

Don't be afraid to air down enough either. Most new offroaders are afraid to air down very far for fear the tire will unseat from the wheel. You can safely air down to between 13 and 15 psi without problem.

Some are afraid to go below 20 psi which is not even really airing down at all. I had a new Rubicon owner on a trail with me last year who had a lot of trouble on a fairly easy trail because he had only aired down to 20 psi. We finally got him to air down to 13 psi and he had no more trouble on the trail afterwards.

Just carry some kind of an air compressor with you so you can air up before you get back on the highway. And a decent air compressor will make airing up a LOT faster. Inexpensive air compressors that brag about their ability to pump up to 200 psi pump out such a low volume of air that they can take 45 minutes or longer to refill four Jeep-size tires. Costco has a pretty decent compressor for $50 or so that lots of Jeepers like. :)

[TheYJGuy] 05-07-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 226607)

DO IT! :punk: