Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   North Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/)
-   -   Is Uwharrie for a stock JKU w/ rookie of-roader & no 2nd vehicle a bad idea? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/is-uwharrie-for-a-stock-jku-w-rookie-of-roader-and-no-2nd-vehicle-a-bad-idea-183164.html)

Tribefan 08-27-2012 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The facts:

Visiting NC (from Ohio) next week for family reunion. Driving 2 month old, nearly stock JKU Sport. Only functional mod is swapping stock SRAs with a set of Hankook Dynapro ATMs. No winch. No lift. Etc. Never been off-road. There would be 4 occupants in my Jeep. No second vehicle to serve as our companion.

The question:

Would I be too ambitious/naive to go to Uwharrie and try to spend a couple/few hours enjoying the trails? I don't want to do rock crawling or go through mud/water up to the doors. I just want to ride on some trails and not destroy my Jeep.

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about Uwharrie except it's 1 1/2 hours from my cousin's house, it's a 50,000 acre forrest, and there are logging trails.

This is my rig:

Kevin wade 08-27-2012 12:22 PM

I was there with a tj that had 32 inch tires. The trails are marked and you can have lots of fun without hurting anything. It's a cool and beautiful area. My son and I are going again in my new jk.

Tribefan 08-27-2012 12:26 PM

Awesome. That's exactly what I was hoping for. My Hankooks are the same (32") stock size that came on it. Just a little more capable A/T tire.

If we're just riding, not stopping to eat or relax, any guess as to how much time would be ideal to set aside? Or is it more of a thing where it just depends how long you want to spend there?

Kevin wade 08-27-2012 12:29 PM

You should stop at the Eldorado Outpost, they have free trail maps. Lots of info and cool shirts and food. You could do the applicable trails in a couple hours but may want more time to check out the area.

Tribefan 08-27-2012 12:44 PM

Sweet. I'll definitely check into that. Can't wait! Thanks again.

Redneck grrrl 08-27-2012 02:11 PM

I would say that it depends on the weather, if the trails are dry no problem, if they are wet, the same trail can be a slick slimy hell hole and I would not recommend anything stock trying it or going alone. Just my .02

Tribefan 08-27-2012 05:34 PM

Hmmm... That concerns me a little.

BruceLeroy74 08-29-2012 04:37 PM

You should never go wheelin alone. Way to risky. My .02 worth

gimp5561 08-31-2012 11:51 AM

what day you going

Tribefan 08-31-2012 12:29 PM

Not sure yet. It'll probably be either Monday or Tuesday. Probably won't know for sure til Sunday.

gimp5561 08-31-2012 12:50 PM

we are going in th am

Tribefan 08-31-2012 01:03 PM

I'll be back in Ohio by then. Unfortunately.

Leo G 11-14-2012 09:59 PM

New to this site and just wondering if you ever made it to Uwharrie? If so, how did you do? I have a new JK and I'm looking to take it for a ride without breaking it.

Tribefan 11-15-2012 04:26 AM

Unfortunately, I never ended up having the time to go. I was (and still am) pretty bummed about that.

gimp5561 11-15-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo G (Post 2997607)
New to this site and just wondering if you ever made it to Uwharrie? If so, how did you do? I have a new JK and I'm looking to take it for a ride without breaking it.

you will have no problem at all just stay off danial

Igrok 11-25-2012 03:54 AM

Every trail there is doable in a stock Jeep - even Daniel. I wouldn't recommend Daniel to noobs or people w/o lockers, but if you're crazy enough, you can get up it without any mods. Just stay towards the left going up at the top.

Tribefan 05-14-2013 02:09 PM

Well, next week I'll be back in NC for another family reunion. I'm going to once again attempt to get to Uwharrie. I do have 2 brief wheeling outings under my belt now, so I'm a little better prepared than when I posted this thread last year. I'll still probably be going alone vehicle-wise, with 2-3 passengers with me. I'll be sure to avoid anything that looks like it could be trouble without a companion vehicle. I'll have a recovery strap and an old cheapo hand-held CB radio. I sure hope I can make it there this time.

Question: are the trails open every day of the week, or just the weekends? Our reunion is the weekend, but I'll be arriving on Wednesday of next week, so I would likely have a weekday or two available to go.

Scott-CJ8 05-15-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribefan (Post 3755254)
Question: are the trails open every day of the week, or just the weekends? Our reunion is the weekend, but I'll be arriving on Wednesday of next week, so I would likely have a weekday or two available to go.

The trails are open every day of the week. They are only closed during the winter months.
Be careful tho.... once that "off-road" bug bites you, it gets in your veins!
Have fun. I was just there this past weekend and had a great time.

Tribefan 05-15-2013 11:11 AM

Awesome. Thanks! I really hope I can make it there this time.