Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   plastidipping hood application? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/plastidipping-hood-application-183409.html)

Sccrbrg 08-28-2012 03:19 PM

Im looking to plastdip the scoop on my hood and have a question.

The plastidip website instructions say to apply 3-4 coats worth of paint along the tape lines in a single application and then remove the tape promptly so the tape doesnt stick, and then implies that the rest of the area should be done as directed on the can with 3-4 light coats.

I feel like doing it this way could cause cobsistency issues. Has anyone done it this way? Or am I better off applying it heavily throughout the area in one coat, or ignore the website video and do it all in multiple light coats?

Sccrbrg 08-28-2012 08:55 PM

Bumppppp

johnny102393 08-29-2012 09:05 PM

i have dont my grill and wheels thats a pretty good idea cause you never know if the tape is gonna peal it all off i would go with they say its pretty forgiving stuff look at my thread if u wanna see how i did my stuff

kpla51 08-29-2012 10:01 PM

ya its a hit or miss sometimes the tape comes off clean other times the tape takes all the plasti dip with it

Trevor C 08-29-2012 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plasti dipped my light bar looks awesome! From stainless to black!

Sccrbrg 08-29-2012 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
whelp mostly taped off. will see how it holds up with the quick spraying tomorrow

Attachment 155290

tkfx 08-30-2012 03:45 AM

I see you went crazy with the tape :D, I myself have actually plasti dipped the hood scoop on my LJ all the way up to the hood hinges, let me assure you, plasti dip will even out by itself and look nice and smooth, even if you dont apply the whole hood evenly, it will all level out. Ive had my hood plasti dipped for about 3 months now and so far no rips, tears, peeling or anything. You can spray the plasti dip with your hose while washing your car and it wont do anything. If you live near pine trees or park under them like i do, you might notice the pine leaves sorta stick to the plasti dip, but come off without damaging anything.

Il post up some pics tomarrow when its light outside.

PS: use some newspaper instead of wasting all that tape and make sure you mask off the surroundings the overspray is annoying to clean off unless you have some pure alcohol, and when applying the plasti dip, if you dont peel the tape fast enough, it will stick to the tape and if you try to peel it like that, it will disrupt the edge and cause it to start peeling later on.

edit1: dont forget to mask the little washer fluid sprayer in the middle of your hood, wouldn't want that to clog up.

xxBOsoxFANxx 09-14-2012 09:31 PM

I was thinking of doing that with my white TJ as well. I did my grill with a spray on Rustoleum bedliner, it came out pretty good. I was looking at the decal, and then thought maybe spray with satin black or plastidip. I would love to see the outcome on yours.