Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   confused about 2002 tj front speakers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/confused-about-2002-tj-front-speakers-183660.html)

TLATEOTW 08-29-2012 02:50 PM

confused about 2002 tj front speakers
 
1 Attachment(s)
my right front speaker started dying and i thought it was time to replace all my speakers.

So i researched about the speakers and found out that everyone have the 4x6 " front speakers, but when i was removing the the speakers i found something different(attached pic).

they are branded mopar so they must have come from factory, the small speaker looks like 1&3/4" and the bigger one is around 4"

is it better to have the 4x6 or just replace with same size speakers in the same enclosure?

lwszabo 08-29-2012 02:53 PM

I recommend the kicker brand replacements Quadratec sells. They are direct replacement and sound great!

TLATEOTW 08-29-2012 02:55 PM

i currently have an xplod head unit rated 25w x 4 and i feel that i am overpowering the stock speakers so i definitely want to upgrade, any suggestions?

Neil F. 08-29-2012 03:00 PM

What you have is part of the optional 7 speaker system (sub, sound bar and seperate woofer/tweeter in the dash). The mounting is 4x6. A single 4x6 is standard.

5 1/4 will fit up front with an adaptor and is the best choice.

TJspeed 08-29-2012 03:04 PM

Get these ----> TJ 5.25 Speaker Adapters Then get 5.25" speakers. Round speakers produce better sound then odd ball shaped ones.

SouthTJ 08-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 2738111)
Get these ----> TJ 5.25 Speaker Adapters Then get 5.25" speakers. Round speaks produce better sound then odd ball shaped ones.

X2 :thumb:

TLATEOTW 08-29-2012 03:35 PM

i am kind of leaning on replacing the speakers with the same size in the enclosure for the following reasons:

-acoustic enclosure, must provide better sound quality than hanging speakers.
-splash protection, could get useful when water goes in there.

i just need higher power rating speakers.

anyone might disagree with the above?

freeskier 08-29-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLATEOTW (Post 2738198)
i am kind of leaning on replacing the speakers with the same size in the enclosure for the following reasons:

-acoustic enclosure, must provide better sound quality than hanging speakers.
-splash protection, could get useful when water goes in there.

i just need higher power rating speakers.

anyone might disagree with the above?

Get the Nalin brackets, put some good 5.25" speakers in there, and put some polyfil behind them.

A_Jeeper 08-29-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLATEOTW (Post 2738198)
i am kind of leaning on replacing the speakers with the same size in the enclosure for the following reasons:

-acoustic enclosure, must provide better sound quality than hanging speakers.
-splash protection, could get useful when water goes in there.

i just need higher power rating speakers.

anyone might disagree with the above?


I have the same setup. If/when mine go I will try to find something to fit the enclosure. I agree, it has to be better than an open speaker.

Flashole 08-29-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Jeeper (Post 2738346)
I have the same setup. If/when mine go I will try to find something to fit the enclosure. I agree, it has to be better than an open speaker.

I'm no expert, but I too agree.

billybobjoe 08-29-2012 09:22 PM

5 1/4 with adapter is the way to go.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.