Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Second opinion on shock (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/second-opinion-on-shock-183664.html)

Shnoon 08-29-2012 04:16 PM

Second opinion on shock
 
Hello,
The rear shock on my 03 Wrangler seems to have broke out of where it is supposed to be and no rests further back. I took it to a shop and he said that I needed to get a new shock. He took the shock off and it didn't look broken to me (although I don't really know what a broken one looks like). It just seems like the shock broke the clip thing that holds it up. Could I just order this small clip part separately and re-bolt it in? Or is the shock broken?

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...828_151813.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...828_151837.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...829_144855.jpg

Cons_Table 08-29-2012 04:21 PM

If it is a hydro shock, does it offer a good amount of resistance when you push and pull on it (since I am assuming it's out of the jeep?)? If it's a nitro shock does it extend on it's own if you compress it?

Sccrbrg 08-29-2012 04:30 PM

Is that a smudge in the last picture or is it a rupture on the shock body? hard to tell from my phone

Cons_Table 08-29-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccrbrg (Post 2738190)
Is that a smudge in the last picture or is it a rupture on the shock body? hard to tell from my phone

It looks like a place where the shock body was rubbing something (such as the exhaust), but I could be wrong.

Shnoon 08-31-2012 05:23 PM

Yeah the smudge is where the shock was on the exhaust when it fell. I pushed down on it and it does come back up fine. Does that mean I'm able to only buy some clip part to remount it?

BLK00TJ 08-31-2012 06:11 PM

You need a shock "bar pin". I think clayton offroad sells them with bushings. I'm not positive if they'll fit your shock but a call to them would settle that.

Dirty Mitten Mudders 08-31-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
You need a shock "bar pin". I think clayton offroad sells them with bushings. I'm not positive if they'll fit your shock but a call to them would settle that.

X2 on the bar pins... They also make a bar pin eliminator kit so this wont happen again..

BLK00TJ 08-31-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Mitten Mudders (Post 2745947)
X2 on the bar pins... They also make a bar pin eliminator kit so this wont happen again..

I wouldn't get the BPE kit. They shorten uptravel by about 1/2" and his last bar pin probably broke due to incorrect bumpstop causing the shock to bottom out.. Shortening the travel would exacerbate the problem. He could have broken it by overextension but that is a lot less common.

Shnoon 09-01-2012 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the great answers, really appreciate it. Going to get another bar pin tomorrow hopefully.

Jerry Bransford 09-01-2012 02:33 PM

I pick up spare bar pins for free from shops that install shocks, like 4x4 stores. They come with the shocks and they aren't always used so shops often just have them laying around.

Dirty Mitten Mudders 09-01-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
I wouldn't get the BPE kit. They shorten uptravel by about 1/2" and his last bar pin probably broke due to incorrect bumpstop causing the shock to bottom out.. Shortening the travel would exacerbate the problem. He could have broken it by overextension but that is a lot less common.

I did not know that thanks for the info...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.