Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Who bought a Rubicon because they live in a snowy climate? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/who-bought-a-rubicon-because-they-live-in-a-snowy-climate-183830.html)

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 09:53 AM

Who bought a Rubicon because they live in a snowy climate?

...or does everyone really do crazy crawling/trails? Who uses lockers to get out of deep snow on occasion?

MacCTD 08-30-2012 10:00 AM

This should be entertaining.

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 10:03 AM

I know, I know. My buddy is in the market for a Rubi...he lives in Jersey City. =/

JTE 08-30-2012 10:05 AM

I didn't buy a Rubicon because I live in a snowy climate, I went with the posi because it functions at all speeds

sdgmcdon 08-30-2012 10:09 AM

We get snow...sometimes, but wasn't the reason (sport with good tires would do just fine). Maybe i'm wrong here but wouldn't a rubicon and sport (assuming same/good tires on both) be equally good in snow? I don't see how a rubicon would do any better in it other than the difference in stock tires when in 4H?

Sueby 08-30-2012 10:11 AM

Wouldn't limited slip be better in regular snow driving than lockers? Or do you mean to get out of a big, snowy ditch you found yourself in by accident? LOL

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2740830)
Wouldn't limited slip be better in regular snow driving than lockers? Or do you mean to get out of a big, snowy ditch you found yourself in by accident? LOL

This! Ditch scenario lol. I don't mean driving around with the lockers engaged the entire time.

Geoscene 08-30-2012 10:15 AM

We get a lot of snow here - yep, about every 50 years, we get 1 or 2 inches that melt in about 6 hours......

So I guess that makes me a "no" ;)

kik 08-30-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdgmcdon (Post 2740820)
We get snow...sometimes, but wasn't the reason (sport with good tires would do just fine). Maybe i'm wrong here but wouldn't a rubicon and sport (assuming same/good tires on both) be equally good in snow? I don't see how a rubicon would do any better in it other than the difference in stock tires when in 4H?

Well, there's something to be said about being able to lock the front and rear axles if you need to. So far in snow I haven't needed to. 4H has actually been fine. That's been for NE winters.

davefr 08-30-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTE (Post 2740811)
I didn't buy a Rubicon because I live in a snowy climate, I went with the posi because it functions at all speeds

^^^^ Same here. Anti spin is much better in all but a very few deep snow situations.

Sueby 08-30-2012 10:18 AM

Well that seems kind of silly! Maybe a driving class would be a better solution than a Rubi. LOL! (no offense meant to your friend, I'm just playin)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2740836)
This! Ditch scenario lol. I don't mean driving around with the lockers engaged the entire time.

pluke the 2 08-30-2012 10:18 AM

i'm pretty sure when you don't have your rubicon lockers engaged your differential will act as a limited slip. according to arb anyway.

and just because you have a rubicon doesn't mean they're automatically rock crawlers.

the hardcore guys will go base bone stock and throw in arb's which will out crawl and last rubi e lockers all day everyday.

kjeeper10 08-30-2012 10:20 AM

Lockers only work in 4-lo anyways.
Good luck ripping around at what 15 mph?

BLD works fantastic. MTH had a great vid of it in action

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 10:20 AM

I can't wait for snow =)

(I am saying that as I sit in front of the ocean at the moment lol)

Last beach day of the year.

sdgmcdon 08-30-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTE (Post 2740811)

Do rubicons have full time posi and other models don't?

Sueby 08-30-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2740849)
i'm pretty sure when you don't have your rubicon lockers engaged your differential will act as a limited slip. according to arb anyway.

For real? I didn't think that was the case. BLD, yes, but not LSD I thought. But what the heck do I know!?

Sueby 08-30-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2740853)
Lockers only work in 4-lo anyways.
Good luck ripping around at what 15 mph?

BLD works fantastic. MTH had a great vid of it in action

I was totally impressed with my BLD.

kjeeper10 08-30-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby

I was totally impressed with my BLD.

I saw your thread :thumb:

I could feel it doing its magic. A tire would only slip for a second and then gain traction. I did not use my lockers (obviously)

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 10:29 AM

Whoa whoa I made a thread the other day about the BLD working well...lol :whistling:

CombatChuk 08-30-2012 10:29 AM

I bought a Rubicon for the Rock crawling. The stock Rubicon mud tires are alright when it gets extremely slushy, but they suck balls on ice/packed powder. I've only use the lockers (and only the rear) once in the snow and that was last year when my house got like 30 inches of snow and my driveway was blocked off by 5 foot drifts. It went through like a champ.

I'm hoping the new Duratracs I ordered will help out with the Ice/Packed Powder conditions this winter.

oilwell1415 08-30-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2740861)
For real? I didn't think that was the case. BLD, yes, but not LSD I thought. But what the heck do I know!?

You are correct. No LSD on the Rubi when the lockers aren't locked. It's just a normal open diff.

Jammers 08-30-2012 10:41 AM

First winter with my rubi and what did i do? Of course I plowed it into a snowy ditch in the middle of nowhere by myself. Put it in 4L, locked it up and she dug out. I was very impressed. As soon as I saw dirt flying with the snow from the front end I knew I was no longer f@$ked.

Sueby 08-30-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2740884)
Whoa whoa I made a thread the other day about the BLD working well...lol :whistling:

So did I!

Why do we call it BLD anyway, it's really just the abs kicking on, it has nothing to do with the diff...there is no mention of BLD in the manual either.

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2740937)
So did I!

Why do we call it BLD anyway, it's really just the abs kicking on, it has nothing to do with the diff...there is no mention of BLD in the manual either.

It is a bit more than ABS. It forces torque to the other axle whereas other vehicles will not. I believe it mentions it in the full book manual I have.

Sueby 08-30-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2740884)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2740947)
It is a bit more than ABS. It forces torque to the other axle whereas other vehicles will not. I believe it mentions it in the full book manual I have.

Found an interesting article on it: Chrysler Blog - Jeep Brake Traction Control Explained

I searched my full (pdf) manual and didn't see anything on it, doesn't mean it wasn't there though!

mattjopete 08-30-2012 11:05 AM

Does the Rubi have the BLDs? And doesn't it also have traction control? I would think both of those would help in the snow. However they would not be better than a sport or Sahara correct?

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 11:10 AM

Sueby is might not have been in there. I forget where I read about it but it was from Chrysler. Perhaps the Wrangler site? Interesting link you posted. Seems to work well enough for me thus far.

oilwell1415 08-30-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2740937)

It is the opposite of the ABS kicking on. Regular ABS can't apply brake pressure, only release it. If there was no diff, BLD wouldn't work because both wheels would be locked together so I think the diff has a lot to do with it.

CG3 08-30-2012 11:17 AM

I can talk to you about snow. Living at 8000' in the Wasatch Mountains... roads off the highway maintained by the guy that owns the lodge... average 500" snowfall/year. Many years over 700".
The road up to my place is quite steep, and gets very narrow with the well overhead snowbanks... snow/packed snow/deep pow/ice... we see it all.
The best tires I have used over the last 12 winters = Goodyear Duratracs.
The best vehicle I've had for these conditions = my current jeep. A 2011 Sport. The lsd is very helpful. I've not yet had to use my lockers (got 'em front and rear... ARB up front, Auburn Ected-Max combo lsd until I activate the lockers... then locked) to get home. I have used them in other places (think dirt/sandstone) but not snow/ice. Not to say I won't need to, but hey, these are pretty extreme conditions, and typical years we don't see the pavement from some time in November until some time in May or June. Think high and north facing...

lolpetewtf 08-30-2012 11:32 AM

Great info. I will get getting Duratracs if I swap wheels/tires - or when my ATs are finished.