Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   On The Trail (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/)
-   -   badlands trip!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/badlands-trip-18415.html)

yjwrangler 05-10-2008 11:26 AM

badlands trip!!

ok anyone interested, trying to get a group of forum guys to go to badlands near Attica ( i think) trying to make this trip in mid august to badlands. if anyone is interested please post, or pm me. any suggestions, times, meeting places?

MoA 05-10-2008 06:12 PM

ill talk to my jeep club to see if anyone is willing to head up there.. me, my gf, and one of my friends have been planning on making a trip up there a few times this summer..

i believe my jeep club wanted to go check out redbird tho this august..

where are you located? we leave out of kokomo/russiaville since thats where most of us are located

jpdocdave 05-10-2008 07:39 PM

i'm north of chicago, yjwrangler and i are gonna try to get this trip together. its a great place to go, 900 acres of trails. primative, and rv camping a few minutes away, or cheap hotel 15 mins. away.

http://badlandsoffroad.com/

yjwrangler 05-12-2008 10:03 PM

I'll be camping if anyone is going that route, as long as there are no open camp fire restrictions. anyway I'm in Virginia if anyone is around, near hear, maybe we can get this going. COME ON PEOPLE ITS AN AWESOME TRIP LETS TRY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jpdocdave 05-12-2008 10:07 PM

do it

MoA 05-12-2008 10:54 PM

ill be ordering my jeeps gears later this week.. probably like thursday or friday depending on how long my check takes to clear..

then the 19th ill be taking my d44 to go get regeared and they guy whos doing it already has a hp dana 30 for me..

if i get them all done by this month ill be ready to go..

hopefully i can get some control arms under my jeep also =p

yjwrangler 05-15-2008 05:40 PM

awesome moa good luck getting that together. time is still hovering around but shooting for august mid to late.

Triple88a 05-15-2008 06:14 PM

I'm interested, what do we need to get in besides a rig?

jpdocdave 05-15-2008 06:49 PM

you need tow points front and rear, you have to have a place to mount a flag, or if you have a cb antenna that sticks up far enough you can stick it on there. otherwise you just need money, they will take your cooler at the door if it's got liquor in it, so leave it somewhere else. you're in chicago right? if we cut through chicago, into indiana really early before traffic it will take about 1.5-2hrs from you.

Triple88a 05-15-2008 07:24 PM

yes i'm in chicago right by ohare air port.

For tow points, does it need to have hooks or d rings or can it jus thave the holes? In my front bumper i have the holes but no d rings, while for the rear i have a hitch, can i just attach a D ring to that too? also do i need straps?,

jpdocdave 05-15-2008 08:51 PM

i'm not sure what the badlands requirements are, it was always a club requirement, basically cuz if you're out there without both its gonna suck. the rear you got is fine, a d ring hitch or something right? for the front its best to have hooks, or d rings.

straps with hooks in them are considered more dangerous, they weren't allowed in my old club. i got straps, and i'm sure others will, so if you don't have a good strap we should have you covered. BUT, what kind of jeeper are you without straps:rofl:

Triple88a 05-15-2008 10:19 PM

alright recommendations on straps? websites?

jpdocdave 05-15-2008 10:23 PM

there's a lot of straps. thicker and wider the better i think i have a 3 and 4" strap, that are extra thick also. 50' is good length i think. its been a while since i looked at that

MoA 05-15-2008 10:24 PM

actually jp.. you only need 2 two hooks.. i dont have rear tow hooks and they didnt even check.. i just got the stock ones up front..

they didnt check the coolers.. heck my center console im about to take out is a cooler.. with a drain plug in the bottom.. =p i can just lock it and they wont check it..

as for the d-rings.. id just go buy one really quick.. if you get stuck just attach it to where you need it..

they sell flags there i think they were 10 bucks.. last time i went i spent $30 bucks total, 10 for the flag, 20 to get in, and its 5 bucks per passenger..

when we go i plan on taking a small campsite grill to cook lunch on =p theres a speedway less than a block away too..

things could have changed.. as of april 1st the badlands was under new management and they closed the garage part down..

plus trip if im going.. dont worry about straps.. me and my girl will have plenty with us =p

jpdocdave 05-15-2008 10:35 PM

ya, the tow points in front and rear were a club thing like i said. but its a good rule. its no fun when you need to be pulled from a way you don't have hooks. sucks for everyone when it takes 10x longer to do something cuz you're not prepared, thats all.

i haven't been there for quite a few years, last time i was there i knew all the trails by heart, and could run in between them and always know where we were. anywho, my point was going to be, they were hardcore on checking coolers. but wheelin and drinkin aren't a good mix. gives our sport the bad name we try to fix.

man, everyone is gonna be too hardcore for my daily driver. i'll still hit some trails, but i might have to co pilot on the pink trail.

MoA 05-15-2008 10:50 PM

lol sounds good.. most the jeeps in my club are stock or near it.. except for the guy from detriot.. we got 2 lifted 4'' (one sa and one la) the la one is a rubi too, mine which is at about 3.25 suspension and 1.25'' bl, then we got 2 lifted about 2.5'', ones a rubi, and then the rest mostly stock rubis.. my gfs dad has a 3'' bl =X and 1'' bb up front.. nothing too special..

Triple88a 05-15-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoA (Post 229484)
dont worry about straps.. me and my girl will have plenty with us =p

any of them recovery straps though?:wavey:

i'm in man, i'm interested (unless gas goes through the roof)
Let me know when the time goes. I'll try to get my rig ready over the summer (D rings and stuff).

Hkdonjp might also wanna go too since hes around that area.

MoA 05-16-2008 12:14 AM

yep.. shes got a couple procomp 3'' recovery straps.. i got a chain (i know they are dangerous but i use em for my come-along if we cant get in a tight spot to pull someone out and it was the HEAVIEST sucker i could find) also i got 2 4ft braided cables (rubber covered) that i put on my jeeps 2 front tow hooks and strap to the recovery strap..

i just think its easier to put the braided cables on my tow hooks because it keeps the pressure on my bumper pretty even.. as apposed to hooking up to one hook

Triple88a 05-16-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoA (Post 229526)
also i got 2 4ft braided cables (rubber covered) that i put on my jeeps 2 front tow hooks and strap to the recovery strap

Isnt that worse? Not that you evenly distributed the weight but the fact that it pulls the hooks towards eachother instead of straight forward?
||D
||.\\
||...\\
||.....\\
||......========================
||.....//
||...//
||.//
||D

||D============================
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||D============================

MoA 05-16-2008 12:24 AM

well.. most the time people pull me out its from the rear tow hook.. (1 hookup spot) so we run 1 strap..

1 strap in the middle, as apposed to 1 strap on one side of the bumper

i also use them as tree straps for the come-along.. with the rubber coating, they dont eat into trees as much

yjwrangler 05-16-2008 06:37 AM

holy crap dave you can ride the pink trails with me...we could be team ram rod....hahahaahhahah

i got .5 inch lift with 31s' i have a winch and no tow points as of now, but this weekedn i am going to start makin my bumper too so i will weld soem d ring shackes on that. nice to see you giong tripple88a anyone with any spare parts i would suggest taken um. i am bringing lots of u-joints and i might bring my welder if i can get a 110 in my jeep anyway i am glad to see forum guys giong this should be really really good.

jpdocdave 05-16-2008 11:39 AM

don't be fooled by the pink trail. it is the worst. guaranty body damage, there's a warning before you go in. bring the welder anyway, you can make repairs in parking lot, or at campsite to get electricity.

hey tripple88, we can meet up on the way if you want, i'm about 45 mins. north of the city, so i gotta come right through.

MoA 05-16-2008 12:46 PM

ill have a complete set of axles for spares... only thing is im not gonna drive em up there =p if i had a tow rig maybe.. i gotta see if my dad is using his truck or not

i live an hour away so if any body damages their axles bad enough.. we can make a trip back for em =p

IGotADisneyJeep 05-16-2008 01:56 PM

Our Jeep Club...

www.JeepsGoneWild.org

Is heading to the Badlands this Sat the 17th Woohoo

I'll be posting some new events coming up and everyones invited to join us.

It will be a Blast!

Check out out web site :)

Thank You,
Michael
Club President

MoA 05-16-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjwrangler (Post 229383)
awesome moa good luck getting that together. time is still hovering around but shooting for august mid to late.

sweet thats plenty of time.. my axles should be in my the end of this month..

next on my list will be control arms and a sye =p

jpdocdave 05-16-2008 04:43 PM

moa, your an hour away?? thats great. where at exactly?

Triple88a 05-16-2008 05:31 PM

Cool i'll take all the tools i have and stuff. :)

Now i'm off to see whats up with my friends turbo since it has a big leak or something like that he says.

MoA 05-16-2008 05:45 PM

kokomo.. its a 66 mile drive to the badlands..

im an hour straight north of indy..

oh and i got a new toy to take with me during the trip too.. its a battery powered impact wrench that they use at chrysler..

gosh i love my dad having high seniority there.. he gets me a lot of nice tools to use =D

jpdocdave 05-16-2008 06:41 PM

very cool

yjwrangler 05-16-2008 11:01 PM

anyone have spare axle shafts....might need some spider gears or rear end crap. i guess i am going the longest, 520 miles i think, a little over 8 hours...where can i meet anyone???