Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Looking at rock sliders, opinions? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/looking-at-rock-sliders-opinions-184378.html)

Some Farkin Guy 09-01-2012 10:06 PM

Looking at rock sliders, opinions?

I'm looking into getting rock sliders for my jeep. I don't crawl on rocks, but I'd like some protection against sliding into trees. I don't think I need the absolute best, but I want something more substantial than just plates on the side. Anybody have any good options for me in the $200-250 price range?

These are the ones I'm looking at now:
TJ-4121 - Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Flyby 09-01-2012 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more than you want to spend but Jeeperman is bomb proof

johnny102393 09-01-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy (Post 2749025)
I'm looking into getting rock sliders for my jeep. I don't crawl on rocks, but I'd like some protection against sliding into trees. I don't think I need the absolute best, but I want something more substantial than just plates on the side. Anybody have any good options for me in the $200-250 price range?

These are the ones I'm looking at now:
TJ-4121 - Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Quick question the ones you found are they conected to the body in any way?
i don't want holes in my body

Cole 33 09-01-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyby
A little more than you want to spend but Jeeperman is bomb proof

Which ones are those? And anybody have any input on the Jeepermans vs the rokmen rockers?

Sccafire 09-01-2012 11:01 PM

Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts

Flyby 09-01-2012 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes you have to drill a few holes but you can lift the jeep from the rockers. Jeeperman is awesome! I would highly recommend them. Use then every day!

Kota7x 09-01-2012 11:19 PM

Poison Spyder makes a great rocker for both the TJ and the LJ. Would highly recommend them.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...x/DSC00893.jpg

Some Farkin Guy 09-01-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny102393 (Post 2749142)
Quick question the ones you found are they conected to the body in any way?
i don't want holes in my body

They say no drilling required, so I assume they mount to the frame where the side steps used to be. Maybe into the holes from the fender flare extensions in the front, there's not much info on them, which is disappointing.

If you're using them as rock sliders they should be mounted to the frame AND tub, but I'm not doing anything that serious with them so I'd rather not drill and just mount to the frame.

Sccrbrg 09-01-2012 11:49 PM

Ace rock rails.

In that price range, bolts on using existing holes, and supposedly pretty strong.

Ordered mine last week and havent gotten them yet so I cant speak from experience, but ive heard good things.

JDeBlois 09-01-2012 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brooks Custom Concepts. I got 'em, love 'em.

Here's the only picture I have of 'em.

BLK00TJ 09-01-2012 11:58 PM

I put Rokmens on last summer and never treated any of the holes after I drilled. I took them off this year since I was bedlining the tub and didn't want to bedline over the hardware. I was surprised that I had absolutely no rust in any of the holes. I painted the bare metal while I had them off before bedlining but my point is, you shouldn't worry about drilling holes to mount rock sliders. Can you think of any reason why you'd take them off? If you can then by all means get something that doesn't require drilling but they won't be as useful for protection. If you do get some that needs drilling, make damn sure they are quality sliders the first time because the replacements holes may not line up if you have to buy again.

If you want a step, get steps. Rock sliders with tubes make horrible steps on a lifted Jeep because they are too high. Tubes on rock sliders are meant more for being used as pivot points for offroading and to deflect trail obstacles from the tub.

Some Farkin Guy 09-02-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccrbrg (Post 2749272)
Ace rock rails.

In that price range, bolts on using existing holes, and supposedly pretty strong.

Ordered mine last week and havent gotten them yet so I cant speak from experience, but ive heard good things.

Where can I find them? When you get them I'd love to hear how the welds look, if the finish on them is done nicely, how easy the install is, etc.

thejafe 09-02-2012 12:05 AM

I just picked up a set from Rokmen :) :

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...81679806_n.jpg

BLK00TJ 09-02-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejafe (Post 2749302)
I just picked up a set from Rokmen :) :

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...81679806_n.jpg

Damn, you got all hooked up didn't you? The UPS guys had an office bet on what the hell they were when they dropped them off with my wife.

Some Farkin Guy 09-02-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 2749291)
my point is, you shouldn't worry about drilling holes to mount rock sliders. Can you think of any reason why you'd take them off? If you can then by all means get something that doesn't require drilling but they won't be as useful for protection. If you do get some that needs drilling, make damn sure they are quality sliders the first time because the replacements holes may not line up if you have to buy again.

I'm not completely opposed to drilling, I just don't need the extra protection since I don't crawl on rocks. I want them to protect against sliding into trees, dirt, and other softer obstacles. I know I'll be reluctant to drill that first hole, but maybe I should go ahead and get used to it if I ever want to install hood vents. :eek:

BLK00TJ 09-02-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy (Post 2749310)
I'm not completely opposed to drilling, I just don't need the extra protection since I don't crawl on rocks. I want them to protect against sliding into trees, dirt, and other softer obstacles. I know I'll be reluctant to drill that first hole, but maybe I should go ahead and get used to it if I ever want to install hood vents. :eek:

The first hole is always the scariest. Then it gets to be fun. :dance:

Some Farkin Guy 09-02-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 2749317)
The first hole is always the scariest. Then it gets to be fun. :dance:

That's what I'm afraid of! As of now, everything I've done can be reversed. I'm the same way with guns, always keeping the original parts, as if I'm ever going to downgrade it. lol

BLK00TJ 09-02-2012 12:25 AM

Nah,. you can reverse hole drilling with a few welds and paint.

johnny102393 09-02-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy (Post 2749331)
That's what I'm afraid of! As of now, everything I've done can be reversed. I'm the same way with guns, always keeping the original parts, as if I'm ever going to downgrade it. lol

same with me i hate drilling holes in my jeep especially to the tub thats why i want sliders that are bolt on im not doing anything extreme to need somthing that strong

Brad48178 09-02-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeblois
brooks custom concepts. I got 'em, love 'em.

Here's the only picture i have of 'em.

x2

Sccrbrg 09-02-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy

Where can I find them? When you get them I'd love to hear how the welds look, if the finish on them is done nicely, how easy the install is, etc.

You can probably get them a number of places. I found them on the ace engineering site and at krawl offroad. I believe they were the same price at both, however I got them from krawl offroad because shipping was about 40 dollars cheaper.

lots and lots of reviews of them on this forum and google

Whitetj05 09-02-2012 02:43 AM

Smittybilts...cheap yet very effective. Remember they are going to get beat up and abused so don't break the bank on parts that are supposed to get torn up. Got mine for 250 to my door. Easy to put on and still look new. Every time they get scratched I rattle can em.

Border Dave 09-02-2012 12:22 PM

Here's an older thread. Some of the pictures no longer work: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-r...est-39644.html

Kevinm2467 09-02-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDeBlois
Brooks Custom Concepts. I got 'em, love 'em.

Here's the only picture I have of 'em.

X2. I have the same set and love them.

rbkelley89 09-02-2012 01:22 PM

id go with something like i have that will actually save your jeeps rocker from being damaged from rocks Smittybilt Part 76641 - SRC Rocker Guard

aaron 06tj 09-02-2012 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbkelley89 (Post 2750469)
id go with something like i have that will actually save your jeeps rocker from being damaged from rocks Smittybilt Part 76641 - SRC Rocker Guard

i have these and love them i bought them locally from Toms 4x4 for 215 plus tax.

BLK00TJ 09-02-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbkelley89 (Post 2750469)

Let me know how they work out for you when you come down on a rock.:rofl:

99er 09-02-2012 03:00 PM

Here's what I installed last week. Happy with them and cost about $200 shipped.
97-06 Jeep TJ Wrangler Rock Crawler Rocker Guard Sliders +Body Guard Bar | eBayhttp://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...e/P1050249.jpg

Whitetj05 09-02-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
Let me know how they work out for you when you come down on a rock.:rofl:

I have set mine down on plenty of rocks and can say they have held up great. You keep spending your money on expensive parts and I'll keep saving money and putting it into more parts. We should compare our jeeps and see where they sit. I promise mine is far more hooked up

BLK00TJ 09-02-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitetj05 (Post 2751102)
I have set mine down on plenty of rocks and can say they have held up great. You keep spending your money on expensive parts and I'll keep saving money and putting it into more parts. We should compare our jeeps and see where they sit. I promise mine is far more hooked up

I fail to see how that design using Chinese manufacturing with the cheapest possible tubing and bad welds is going to hold up to abuse against any rocks I see. If they work for you, great. The tube design in itself is bad enough at being a rock magnet to get hung up on rocks let alone not folding up into the tub. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you and your "hooked up" Jeep.

Back to OP. Have you thought about looking for used Rubicon rocker covers? A lot of them may be looking into replacing what they have and selling the old ones off on eBay or CL.