Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lift Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lift-questions-185061.html)

Bronek 09-04-2012 09:41 PM

Lift Questions

Yes, another lift thread... I've read through a lot of the lift threads, and the Zone combo kit seems to be the default for most people, but I'm well known for doing everything to the extreme. My 300 for example, is a 426ci AWD, and that would be (to my knowledge) a 1 of 1. It also has about 7mm of clearance. The Jeep is going the other way.

I have a 2005 TJ, 4L auto. Most of my driving will be street, but it's a Jeep, so it will see the trails a couple weekends a month. That said, I'll run one set of rims and wheels for offroad, and another set for street use. I haven't decided on whether or not I'll go 33s or 35s for the rocks, however, I am pretty set on going bling-bling for some street wheels and tires. That said, the combo I'm looking to run on the street measures a hair under 36". The Zone kit seems designed for 33" tires, but I'm under the impression that is accounting for flex from the trails. If that kit won't work for the street combo, what should I be looking at running? If I have to run a bigger lift kit than the Zone to accommodate the street use, I'll pretty much guarantee I buy a set of 35s.

Thanks guys.

MTH 09-04-2012 09:49 PM

I'm mainly a JK guy, but I'd be pretty surprised if you could cram 37s under a lift designed to handle 33s.

Regardless though, there is a LOT that goes into getting a jeep to run tires that big besides the lift and the tires. Are you aware of that?

In addition to the lift, you're going to be in desperate need a regear (~$1200), you'll need a steel rear bumper with a tire carrier to handle the weight of your spare (~$700), and you'll probably need some axle reinforcement or maybe outright replacement (I'll defer to the local TJ experts here for that).

And then you need the tires, wheels, and lift.

I'm thinking 6 grand worth of parts if it's all brand new stuff, and then you've got to consider install costs if you're not a DIY guy. ButI'll defer to WF's TJ experts on this as well.

sloppywood 09-04-2012 09:53 PM

More likely than not I will be running the zone lift. People seem generally happy with it, and since I have an lj, I won't need a SYE. With this lift, I will run 35's and mce flat fenders. Should be more than adequate for my purposes.

kpla51 09-04-2012 09:54 PM

you have a lot to think about before doing all this with that big of wheel how much is your budget ?

DeepSouthJeeper 09-04-2012 09:56 PM

What size rims do you want? I wouldn't go too big on the rims, never looks right on anything over 17 in. I would also think changing out the tires every time you went of the pavement would get old fast. And for street use you can use a bigger tire, although I'm not sure how much you would get away with. Chrome is usually disliked by most jeepers, although a little here and there never hurt. But all that said, it's your jeep, do what you want with her.

Bronek 09-04-2012 11:24 PM

Hrm, why would I need a regear? The stock gearing in some way insufficient? I'd figure 3.06s would be fine. This will be a complete garage DIY.

Haha, budget? Sky's the limit. Higher the cost just means I'll delay getting it a bit. Starting my research now as I plan to buy around March and be ready for the next season. Figure I've already missed out on this season, so not worried about rushing it before winter. If I don't have the funds then, I'll delay it further.

I'm looking to run a 315/40/R26 tire on a black rim. Jeep doesn't need to be chromed out - in fact I was looking to remove all chrome, including painting the insides of the headlights. I'm used to doing rim swaps on the regular. My car runs one set of tires for street, and another set for track. Best way for longevity and such.

Tons of ideas for this, looking around to see what will work with what.

kyjeep 09-04-2012 11:28 PM

With 3.06's it's going to have absolutely no bottom end.

DeepSouthJeeper 09-04-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronek
Hrm, why would I need a regear? The stock gearing in some way insufficient? I'd figure 3.06s would be fine. This will be a complete garage DIY.

Haha, budget? Sky's the limit. Higher the cost just means I'll delay getting it a bit. Starting my research now as I plan to buy around March and be ready for the next season. Figure I've already missed out on this season, so not worried about rushing it before winter. If I don't have the funds then, I'll delay it further.

I'm looking to run a 315/40/R26 tire on a black rim. Jeep doesn't need to be chromed out - in fact I was looking to remove all chrome, including painting the insides of the headlights. I'm used to doing rim swaps on the regular. My car runs one set of tires for street, and another set for track. Best way for longevity and such.

Tons of ideas for this, looking around to see what will work with what.

Sky's the limit. I wish I could say that. Ha, my budget is almost none existent. But you have to make a build thread man! Sounds like you are going to build a nice jeep!

slightrider 09-05-2012 12:33 AM

Besides the fact that 36" tire, 26" wheel combo on a TJ will look dorky, there's no way you're going to spin them with 3.06 gearing.

Dirty Mitten Mudders 09-05-2012 03:55 AM

Im running 35's on a 4.5" re suspension lift an a 1" bl with plenty of clearance an flex.. What axles are you running? If you have dana 30 frontt and dana 35 rear i would suggest sticking with 33's.. I swaped mine for dana 44's f&r to run 35's and let mr tell you it wasnt cheap.. Also regardless if you run 33's or 35's a regear is going to he a must if you dont it will be very very slugish.. Im running 4.10 gears an 35's and i am looking to regear when funds allow.. You came to the right place for questions this forum has some very nice and helpful people. Any other concerns just ask..

Bronek 09-05-2012 12:00 PM

I didn't factor the gearing in there. I run 3.06s on my car, so I didn't think it would be an issue at all. I have my complete factory build sheet.

DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DRJS Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle

Hrm, so big gears is what you're saying, and since the rule of thumb is go big or go home, 5.38s ftw. 44s going to be ample for most applications? I've seen a few of them snapped off. Enough time at the track has seen most of the hot rodders go to a D60, but not sure if that's practical on an offroad rig.

I have no timeline to get anything done, that's why there's no budget. If it gets done in a year, cool. If it takes 5, so be it. It's a hobby, not work, although it is excellent motivation to go to work and get those bonuses. Some of the fun of these builds is planning it out and fantasizing about what you'll do, and then the anticipation of pulling the trigger, and then actually putting it together and using it.

I was also told the setup on my car would look and be dorky. Many show awards later, I still have the haters, but I've learned amongst the enthusiasts there will always be those who support you and those who hate you, and since you can't please everyone, make yourself happy.

jrussblues 09-05-2012 12:39 PM

Do you have a Dana 44 up front as well? If you have a Dana 30 then you will cap out at a 4.88 gear ratio.

Bronek 09-05-2012 01:35 PM

Nah, I've got the 30s right now, but if I'm going to have to upgrade - which it looks like I will - I'll save up and go balls to the wall. Front and rear Dana 60 5.38s will be about $8,000, so if that's what it takes to only have to do a swap once and pretty much be unbreakable, I'll do that.

I've done enough mods over the years on vehicles to realize just get the good stuff the first time.

Dirty Mitten Mudders 09-05-2012 03:06 PM

Your still planning on driving around on the road with that gearing???

Dirty Mitten Mudders 09-05-2012 03:07 PM

What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing?

ken78744 09-05-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Nah, I've got the 30s right now, but if I'm going to have to upgrade - which it looks like I will - I'll save up and go balls to the wall. Front and rear Dana 60 5.38s will be about $8,000, so if that's what it takes to only have to do a swap once and pretty much be unbreakable, I'll do that.

I've done enough mods over the years on vehicles to realize just get the good stuff the first time.

Yep with 35"+ tires you are going to HAVE to regear or you will have no power... You can get nice aftermarket axles from G2 they have both Dana 44s and Dana 60s... It sounds like you would be better off with the Dana 44s because this isn't going to be a hardcore trail rig, and the Dana 44s can handle up to a 40" tire before any problems and if you get Chrome Moly axle shafts and 35 spline count for the rear you should be more than fine...

Bronek 09-05-2012 03:36 PM

I've been speaking with the boys in the climbing club, and it would seem there are some nasty trails here, especially more up north towards cottage country, which just seems so ideal. I hadn't really planned on going hardcore into rock climbing and swamp diving, but I know myself, and I know I'll get lulled in just to say "Ye, I can do this."

ken78744 09-05-2012 03:50 PM

The only thing keeping me from going to Dana 60s and selling my Rubicon axles is that the G2 Dana 60 front axle is almost $10,000 by itself that is a complete axle from hub lock out to hub lock out, it includes brakes everything all you have to do is bolt it in... The rear isn't as bad it is only $4,800, both these axles come with gears of you choice and locker of your choice ect...

kyjeep 09-05-2012 04:50 PM

$10,000 is insane. You could buy the welder and a decent donor front end and build your own and you'd still be money ahead.

ken78744 09-05-2012 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyjeep
$10,000 is insane. You could buy the welder and a decent donor front end and build your own and you'd still be money ahead.

I agree that is way to much you could go to the junkyard get two good Dana 60 housings and cut them down narrower and build your own with Chrome moly shafts and gears for both for half the cost of the front one from G2, but it is the special housing you can't get they make the RockJock Axles where the diff cover is turned way way up and has a built in skid plate to the bottom of the diff as well... Look them up they are badass!!!!

Attachment 157517

Bronek 09-06-2012 07:02 PM

That sounds like a fun project. I'm guessing swapping the D44s from a Rubicon has been done before with little to no issue as well? Ah, a winter of contemplating... I love it.

DeepSouthJeeper 09-06-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

That sounds like a fun project. I'm guessing swapping the D44s from a Rubicon has been done before with little to no issue as well? Ah, a winter of contemplating... I love it.

I'd guess you would need to get the air pressure system for the lockers, assuming it didn't come with it. Other than that it would probably bolt right in. Not positive on that though.

Volta009 09-06-2012 10:01 PM

Big rims on a jeep is a good way to loose respect of all jeepers from everywhere. different strokes for different folks. A jeep is designed for every nut and bolt to be trail acceptable. toss on some dubs and you will be putting street proformance parts on a off road vehicle. Thats like a soft top on an air plane. Possible but no real reason to. with lower profile tires all the ride charactoristics are completely reliant on the suspention. So good luck getting the whole jeep to not rattle apart on a speed bump. Even with a $10000 dollar suspention system. My cousin has $8000 in his suspention on his yj and his almost is un road worthy with 44" bfg's

ken78744 09-06-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Rubicon axles will bolt right in no problem.... Just fine the air control for the lockers.....

Bronek 09-07-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volta009 (Post 2767216)
Big rims on a jeep is a good way to loose respect of all jeepers from everywhere. different strokes for different folks.

I don't mind running 3 sets of rims and tires. I'm used to it already on the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken78744 (Post 2767514)
Rubicon axles will bolt right in no problem.... Just fine the air control for the lockers.....

SGI Salvage, here I come. I'm loving the cross-compatibility of the Jeep platforms. Awesome.

Rpkittle 09-07-2012 10:02 PM

Why hasnt anyone requested pics of this 300?! Post em or it didn't happen ;)

kyjeep 09-07-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpkittle
Why hasnt anyone requested pics of this 300?! Post em or it didn't happen ;)

I didn't even pay attention to that. I would like to see pics. Sounds like it would be fast.