Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/extend-breather-hoses-with-pictures-axle-and-transfer-case-185089.html)

Rooster76 09-05-2012 02:19 AM

Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case

There are breather hoses on both axles, the transfer case, and auto transmission. On manual transmission there is a breather under the shift boot (at least I have seen a picture of a 3.8L there). They are there to let gases escape with changing temperature, and keep that pressure off the seals. If you lift your Jeep you may need to extend your breathers on your axles so they don't come off when flexing. Another reason to extend your breather hoses is to raise them up where they are less likely to ingest water and contaminate your oil. It's something everyone with a snorkel, or who plays in water should do.

KITS ARE ONE OPTION TO CHECK OUT
RIVER RAIDER - Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit
There are also kits you can buy. River Raider makes one were all the hoses get connected and put into the air box called "Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit for JKs."

I don't like that idea personally because if differential oil was to somehow overflow it could get into the transfer case. Thats really more of a problem with aftermarket diff covers that are easier to overfill. It is way more air tight on the other hand.

POLY PERFORMANCE - Creeper Breather

There is also a kit made by Poly Performance that I have seen that uses an accordion type of rubber bag attached to the axles instead of using hoses.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...se/polyBag.jpg
It says it's for 4-runners on the sale page, but you can see it in action on this link below.
LINK-> Breather extensions?? (This link also shows the breather for a manual transmission, transmission, under the boot)
If you would rather try to fab something yourself I'll show you what I have done and pictures of were the breather hoses end on my 2012 manual 2DR.

WHAT'S NEEDED
  • 5/16" fuel line. I have read that this is the factory size on the JKO forum (http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...784#post183784). I have also heard of people using 1/4" fuel line successfully. Fuel line can be bought by the foot at AutoZone.
  • 3/8" Hose Mender. If your going to totally replace the hoses you won't need this. I'm just cutting off and extending mine. I tried 5/16" size and it was way to small. 3/8" fits water tight to say the least, and probably doesn't need to be clamped.
  • Worm Drive Clamps
  • Utility Knife or something to cut the hose
  • Safety Glasses you'll be looking up were dirt can and will drop in your eye
  • Grabber Tool to fish the line through
  • Duck Tape
  • Zip Ties
  • Philips screw driver to get the break light off

REAR BREATHER EXTENSION
This breather stock goes from the top of the passenger side of the axle to the top of the passenger wheel well behind the plastic liner.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...mination11.JPG

This is taken on my back looking up into the back of the rear passenger wheel well. You can almost see where it terminates about where my finger is.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...mination11.JPG

This is the termination cap. It will allow water in. It's basically like a little wiggle cap on top of the tube to deflect splashes.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...mination13.jpg

What I have done is cut off the end and extended that into the rear tail light area. When your removing the tail light you want to only remove the 2 innermost screws. That will allow the whole light to come off. The outside ones just hold on some trim (and have a slightly larger screw.) I would recommend putting the screws back in a few turns after you remove the light so that you don't loose one in the bumper like I did. You can see the 2 body mount screw locations in the picture below.

I put a packing strap down a hole that ends up behind the plastic wheel well liner. It was easy to see to fish it though.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...houghLight.jpg
On my back (with saftey glasses) I used a grabber tool and flash light to fish that packing strap down. I had to push the plastic wheel liner out of the way.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...ingAString.jpg
I cut off the end with the jiggle cap and used the hose mender to add in the extra hose. Then tightened that down with some worm drive clamps. I put some spray paint on them just because they were really cheap and I though they might rust. It would be a good idea to add some clamps to the factory hose coming off the axle.

In the picture below what the factory jiggle cap end looks like cut off. There is bolt that it will just pull off of with some pressure directly out from the bolt. That clear plastic retainer piece, that holds the factory hose to the bolt, is taped to the hose with 2 wraps of black tape. The clear plastic part is like a "T" and doesn't wrap around the hose. It's just held on by the tape.http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...alveCutOff.jpg

I used 4' of fuel line back here, and I could have easily gotten away with only 3'. Actually I cut 6" off and still have plenty of slack if I add a lift later. I think 2' (a popular size to buy it pre-cut) would be a very tight fit with the route I took. There is also a hole you can use in the bottom of the tail light that others have used. On my 2012 they put a ton of foam in there that blocked me from going that direction. (HERE'S ANOTHER OPTION Mud Behind the Tail Lights JK)

I taped the packing strap to the hose to feed it though the hole.

Here you can see where I was able to just barely get a zip tie through to hold the fuel line up as high as possible. If you put your finger up there you'll see it's a very tight fit. I used 2 about 8" ties to get the job done. There is also a bar that I guess holds the light in that I used to zip tie to. You can see it in the first tail light picture. Then I used some Duct Tape and secured it to the wall right were it fed through just for good measure.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...ghtZipTied.jpg

I re-used the terminal jiggle cap. You can see were the end of the line is here. You can also run it up by the tail light wire and into the roll bar. I personally think this is plenty high and dry for me.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...ewLocation.jpg

FRONT AXLE BREATHER HOSE
The front axle breather hose goes from the top driver side of the axle to up near the top of the shock. It really isn't covered much from splashing water. It's sort of a bitch to get to. The best angle would be from behind the front driver side wheel. There is a clip that holds it up that you can see in the picture. My finger is on the jiggle cap.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...erWithText.jpg

This is a view from under the hood driver side. Your not going to be able to get at the end of the hose from here, but you can stick your hand down and feel it. The cap is just on the other side of some plastic that I'm pointing to. If you reach down by were my thumb is under that plastic it's right there.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...therHidden.jpg

I haven't yet extended this one but will likely soon. You want to make sure if any fluid was to escape from the hose it isn't going to drop on anything hot. Of course you need to make sure you keep the hose off anything that is going to get really hot.

TRANSFER CASE
This is a 3.6L 2012 so it might look different on earlier JK's. Basically you need to take off the plastic cover off the engine. It just pops off with a bit of a tug. Then you can see what I'm assuming is the transfer case breather. I didn't actually track it all the way back. I'm on the fence about extending this one. It's in a pretty good location but could get raised up about 6" to make it even better. This picture is taken from the passenger side pointing toward the back.
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...erWithText.jpg

The hose starts in the middle top engine side of the transfer case. I'm not even sure if you could get a camera up there to take a picture of it. There's an old post on JKO that shows it well
LINK-> JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum - View Single Post - diffs, transfer case, transmission breather tub extension/raise

PARTING THOUGHTS
You can put all your hoses into your air box. That seems like a goodish method if your going to seal it off and use a snorkel. Otherwise I would just put them pretty high and dry. The air box can take on some water and has drain holes just because of that.

HOW SAFE IS IT STOCK
I think that your pretty safe for highway driving. For off-road use I think it is worth the $20 to mod them. When you go through a decent water puddle your wheel wells will fill with water. That could get some water/gunk in the breathers that are basically located in the top of wheel wells. They have a cap on there that will block most of splashes, but it's defiantly not a one way valve. If you did submerged to the top of the fenders you would be sucking in water like a straw, and would really want to change your differential oil ASAP. As a side note, if your in water for extend periods of time its a good idea to change your diff oil also. You can see how to do that here -> Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up. I have heard that right after messing around with water you can drain out a bit of the differential oil. The water being heavier should be at the bottom. If it's contaminated it will look milky and should be totally replace. Otherwise you can just top it off.

THIS DOESN'T WATER PROOF A MANUAL TRANSMISSION WHEN SHIFTING
With a manual transmission even with the breathers extended you still should not shift in water that is above the bottom of your transmission. It has a big vent hole that cannot be sealed. When you push the clutch in, water (and more worrisome is what's in it) can get in by the clutch plate. As long as you don't shift while submerged you should be good. The proper way to deal with that is to first be in 4-Low. Then if you stall you can restart without clutching. With an auto it's not an issue shifting from drive to reverse.

You might want to check out this write-up ->Jeep JK Wrangler Axle Breather Hose Extension

I also posted this over at JK-Forum (too bad those pictures didn't transfer over) ->Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case - 2012 Manual 2DR

ALRIGHT LETS SEE HOW YOU DID YOURS
If you have pictures or advise about extending your breathers, or water proofing post away. This thread really needs someone to show how to extend the auto transmission breather.

kbwwolf 09-05-2012 06:38 AM

Awesome...we've been needing a good, comprehensive breather hose mod thread. :thumb:

kramer2k 09-05-2012 07:41 AM

Good stuff Rooster. Subscribing to this for future use. :thumb:

But it appears the JKO-linked pics aren't working. Anyone else?

kjeeper10 09-05-2012 07:48 AM

Holy chit.

Good stuff Rooster :thumb:

SilverSport 09-05-2012 08:19 AM

Ja, pics no worky for me either.

Rooster76 09-05-2012 08:58 AM

Picts will be posted below soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 2760693)
Ja, pics no worky for me either.

try this-> Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case - 2012 Manual 2DR

I originally posted this on JK forum because it make it so easy to upload pictures. It looks like maybe they have blocked them from being used on other forums. And they are somewhat like Nazi Germany in suppressing links, so I figured I would re-post with some extra links here. I'll try to get them posted below here (with them hosted on a different server). Sorry for the innocence I sort of though that might happen.

AdrianVall 09-05-2012 09:50 AM

Subscribed so I can read later! =)

kenb1023 09-05-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster76 (Post 2760791)
try this-> Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case - 2012 Manual 2DR

I originally posted this on JK forum because it make it so easy to upload pictures. It looks like maybe they have blocked them from being used on other forums. And they are somewhat like Nazi Germany in suppressing links, so I figured I would re-post with some extra links here. I'll try to get them posted below here (with them hosted on a different server). Sorry for the innocence I sort of though that might happen.

These pics didn't work as well. Still good info though

Rooster76 09-05-2012 10:56 AM

Re-post with pictures

NOTE: I cannot edit my first post so I'm going to recreate it and add just a bit at the end. Hopefully this one people will be able to see the pictures. If a mod wants to copy paste this into the original post that would be cool.

Edited by Coyote_97TJ - Thread is fixed and added to the sticky.

kjeeper10 09-05-2012 11:17 AM

You can contact a mod and they can allow you to edit.
I'm sure this will be cleaned up and sticky'd anyhow :thumb:

kramer2k 09-05-2012 11:20 AM

Party foul Ken! Quoting a massive post like that? tsk tsk :D

kjeeper10 09-05-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k
Party foul Ken! Quoting a massive post like that? tsk tsk :D

:facepalm: habit lol

SilverSport 09-05-2012 11:31 AM

FWIW I extended the front breather hose up next to the master cylinder.

WeTri 09-05-2012 11:44 AM

Very good info.:thumb:

Rooster76 09-06-2012 12:11 AM

I made a youTube video where I point out the hoses

Breather Hose Locations 2012 Manual JK Wrangler - YouTube

aha 09-06-2012 09:09 AM

Great post with awesome info! I do have a question though... Why do folks not just attach 1 way valves to the ends of their hoses?

Rooster76 09-06-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aha (Post 2764768)
Great post with awesome info! I do have a question though... Why do folks not just attach 1 way valves to the ends of their hoses?

I think that you need to be able to have air (gasses) go both ways. When the axles get hot they need to let off some steam, and when your axles hit some cold water they would want to suck in some air. That's my guess at least. It must not be too much gas being that the poly-preformance "creeper breathers" don't pop off (pictured below).
http://www.rileyid.com/randy/jk/brea...se/polyBag.jpg
This is a direct link to show those installed to see the size of them Breather extensions??

GonzoBobH 09-06-2012 10:39 AM

<bows to Rooster76>

Awesome stuff. Thx.

brighton 09-06-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks so much for this post. I've been driving in a lot of water at the location we go off-road, and I know this is something I should do.

Coyote_94YJ 09-06-2012 02:20 PM

Borken thread fixed. ;)

Rooster76 09-06-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote_97TJ (Post 2765729)
Broken thread fixed. ;)

Thanks man :punk:

Coyote_94YJ 09-06-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster76 (Post 2765745)
Thanks man :punk:

Anytime.

I meant to spell broken as borken. ;) It's an older joke that I think most newer jeepers/members aren't aware of.

The source.
Borken Bolts - JeepForum.com

stans1stjeep 09-06-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote_97TJ (Post 2765773)
Anytime.

I meant to spell broken as borken. ;) It's an older joke that I think most newer jeepers/members aren't aware of.

The source.
Borken Bolts - JeepForum.com

Jeez, how many different Jeep forums are there? I'm already on 6 and here's another!:confused:

TX Sasquatch 11-02-2012 08:54 AM

Sub'd :thumb:

IWANNAOFFROAD 11-05-2012 07:55 PM

So I bought my jeep used and its a Wrangler Tj. I was looking into doing this for off roading purposes and the previous owner did this, hell yeah. Thanks for the descriptive process though.

GunToter 11-05-2012 08:33 PM

Maybe I missed it, but about how much fuel line did you end up using?

Ex Umbris Currus 11-06-2012 03:50 AM

Subscribed

Rooster76 11-07-2012 10:57 AM

FRONT BREATHERS
I showed how I extended my front axle breathers, and a few more pictures of the jiggle caps on JK-Forum.
DIRECT-POST-LINK> Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case - 2012 Manual 2DR
There really isn't anything too hard to figure out, so I didn't post it here. Mostly because the pictures are harder to host/post.

NOTE FOR LIFTED JEEPS
If you have a lifted Jeep your going to want to extend your axle breathers so they don't pop off under flex. Doing it just by extending like I have done is not going to help at least on the rear axle. I remember that there was a spot on the frame where the stock hose was secured to rather well. That spot would need to be released and added some line (if possible). You might want to just totally replace the factory hose with fuel line. Putting stainless steal hose (worm drive) clamps on, were the hose attaches to the axle, would be a good idea regardless. As far as the front axle,I don't remember any attachment points like the rear. I didn't look that hard because I don't have a lifted Jeep though. I would not think flexing would cause any issues of pulling the transfer case, or transmission hoses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunToter (Post 2964007)
Maybe I missed it, but about how much fuel line did you end up using?

HOW MUCH FUEL LINE DO YOU NEED
It matters how you want to run your hose. You can completely replace the factory breather lines, and run them in different ways. Like if you wanted to run them into the airbox like the River Raider Smiling Bob kit. Both of those would require more hose. The way that I did it by just extending the factory hoses required
  • Front Axle - 2'3" I took mine to the top of the firewall. about 1/4 of the way over.
  • Rear Axle - 3'6" I think 3 foot would have been enough here.
  • Transfer Case - I haven't extended that, and probablly won't. If you were to take it to the top of the firewall it would be about 1 foot. I was told it is easiest to reach it from under the Jeep.
  • Auto Tranny - I have a manual so I didn't have to worry about this one. I have heard that it terminates up in the engine bay.
You can buy fuel line in small packages. It is often pre-cut to 2 foot. I would recommend going to an auto store and buying it by the foot and giving yourself an extra foot or 2 to play with. It is not very hard to cut with a utility knife, or expensive.

Jeeperz Creeperz 11-07-2012 11:27 AM

This is good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to show others how to do it.

dalearyous 01-08-2013 09:08 PM

Subscribed