Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   advise on removing control arms (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/advise-on-removing-control-arms-185257.html)

shanes04wrangler 09-05-2012 08:37 PM

advise on removing control arms

never took control arms off a truck before so advise will help. I know for sure iam only taking one off at a time but do i just let the axle droop or should i put the axle on jack stands. I am guessing the lowers are harder than uppers since of the cam bolts.

shanes04wrangler 09-06-2012 12:59 AM

any?

Coastie 09-06-2012 07:31 AM

took my axles out recently so the CAs came off. i would suggest jack stands.

jrussblues 09-06-2012 07:38 AM

Are you replacing them, lifting, adding fixed length or adjustable? That'll probably help.

shanes04wrangler 09-06-2012 08:42 AM

just replacing the stockers

jrussblues 09-06-2012 08:48 AM

One at a time and torque to spec. If you have lifted this may be a bit tough as the axle may want to pull away because of the spring wanting to straighten out. A good remedy is to use a ratchet strap.

shanes04wrangler 09-06-2012 08:59 AM

should i hand tighten them then torque them on the ground ?

shanes04wrangler 09-06-2012 09:00 AM

should i hand tighten them then torque them on the ground ? with the wheels on the ground i mean

jrussblues 09-06-2012 09:02 AM

I'm pretty sure you want to torque them under load. If you pull up the install instructions for a rubicon express super flex short arm kit from their web site it will give you the specifics. I will say though, I don't think you will need to lift the jeep to change the control arms as the springs will still hold the weight if you do them one at a time.

gmabry75 09-06-2012 09:03 AM

Yes. Torque them at ride height wheels on the ground.

jrussblues 09-06-2012 09:04 AM

Just make sure you've been working out. I think lowers are something like 120 ft lbs.

gmabry75 09-06-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues
I'm pretty sure you want to torque them under load. If you pull up the install instructions for a rubicon express super flex short arm kit from their web site it will give you the specifics. I will say though, I don't think you will need to lift the jeep to change the control arms as the springs will still hold the weight if you do them one at a time.

Your right. No need to jack up. One at a time and nothing will move much.

shanes04wrangler 09-06-2012 09:11 AM

nice, yea i got a whole torque spec sheet and i think there lik 130 lbs lol so yea it will be fun

James249G 09-06-2012 09:16 AM

I've got a set of Rock Krawler Adustable Rear Uppers on their way to my house. Does the same apply to them?

jrussblues 09-06-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James249G
I've got a set of Rock Krawler Adustable Rear Uppers on their way to my house. Does the same apply to them?

Nope, you will be changing the length so you will need to lift the jeep, remove the springs and support the axle. I would also recommend using a floor jack under the pumpkin sideways. It'll help with positioning. Torque spec is much lower, 40 if I remember correctly. Sorry.

jrussblues 09-06-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues

Nope, you will be changing the length so you will need to lift the jeep, remove the springs and support the axle. I would also recommend using a floor jack under the pumpkin sideways. It'll help with positioning. Torque spec is much lower, 40 if I remember correctly. Sorry.

That said, if you went with a double adjustable like the curried savvy set up you could bolt them in one at a time and then adjust the length.

James249G 09-06-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 2764799)

The Jeep's already lifted. I'm having a SYE installed so I can raise my T-case back up... I just want to get the new adjustable control arms in there before I take it in so the mech can raise easily raise the pinion angle. If I keep the new ones at "stock length" when I install them, I should be able to leave the rig on the ground if I just do one arm at a time, right?

jrussblues 09-06-2012 12:10 PM

Yes, but then your mechanic will have to take everything down to adjust them properly. At that point you may as well have him install them because he is going to charge the labor for it anyway.