Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   6 speed to 5 speed swap help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/6-speed-to-5-speed-swap-help-185286.html)

NCVULCANRIDER 09-05-2012 10:52 PM

6 speed to 5 speed swap help

OK, so I bought a Jeep today and it the 6 speed is really screwed. I have an AX 15 what do I have to do to swap them. I don't really have the money to buy a used 6 speed. Best price I found is $1200. The AX is low miles AND sitting in the shed

JDT 09-05-2012 10:56 PM

I'm not 100% but it should all bolt up, they both use the same transfer case and the computer shouldn't notice the change, I don't think there's any sensors in the transmission.

bc3_Jeep 09-06-2012 01:23 AM

You could also ask your local HS or Junior College automotive class if they would like a project to do.... you buy the parts, they learn to rebuild one.......

Lunatic Fringe 09-06-2012 01:37 AM

If you cannot do it IN a Jeep...or with A WOMAN.....what is the sense in doing it at all????? :bottom:

bc3_Jeep, I don't poop in either of those but every morning I still "sense" a need to.

Derp 09-06-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep
You could also ask your local HS or Junior College automotive class if they would like a project to do.... you buy the parts, they learn to rebuild one.......

The day I trust inexperienced testosterone and hormonal kids with my jeep will be the day I drive a mall crawler.

bc3_Jeep 09-06-2012 02:30 AM

A world of hate is indeed a world lost.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 2764116)
The day I trust inexperienced testosterone and hormonal kids with my jeep will be the day I drive a mall crawler.

Sterotypical crap like that is what keeps all of us from advancing to a level of mutual respect......

I am guessing you learned everything you know prior to birth????? or.... perhaps by people mentoring you and helping you along in some fashion????

C.L. 09-06-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 2764101)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 2764116)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 2764148)
Sterotypical crap like that is what keeps all of us from advancing to a level of mutual respect......

I am guessing you learned everything you know prior to birth????? or.... perhaps by people mentoring you and helping you along in some fashion????

Having participated in a high school auto-lab class (both as a student, and later as an assistant), i'm with Derp on this one. "Learning experiences" are great, but there's a reason Pre-Med students practice on corpses for a few years... Same goes for mechanics.

You don't want to find out that little Jimmy didn't know the difference between lbs/ft and N/m when your transmission explodes on the highway.