Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Washington Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f57/)
-   -   Heading to the Pacific NW from Florida (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f57/heading-to-the-pacific-nw-from-florida-185697.html)

bluesman88 09-07-2012 10:46 PM

Heading to the Pacific NW from Florida
 
Hi everyone,
I currently live in Florida but will be moving to Washington in the next couple of years. My jeep has a few mods on it but is mostly stock. Could anyone tell me what kind of trails there are in WA? Down in FL the biggest thing is mud, however I imagine things are a little different up there. For instance, I was thinking of going with BFG All terrains since they are a pretty well rounded off-road tire but I figured I'd find out what some of the locals run and if they'd be good in the snow. Any info is greatly appreciated!

4-loco 09-10-2012 01:55 AM

Well, if you want to see what it's like, I suggest looking up some youtube videos of:
Evans Creek
Walker Valley
Nachess
Tahuya
I think there are two other locations in the Olympic rain forest and also down in Olympia, I can't remember their names. Anybody want to correct me or chime in with more?

I imagine it will be a very different experience.

Nightcrawl 09-10-2012 02:44 AM

BFG ATs are pretty good all around up here, but like mud in florida best traction up here in snow and mountain conditions are mud terrains style. ATs + snow chains will get u 99% of where you need to go in winter. Pay 100 bucks for chains with your ATs and will still be far ahead on gas milage/money in long run!

bluesman88 09-10-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-loco
Well, if you want to see what it's like, I suggest looking up some youtube videos of:
Evans Creek
Walker Valley
Nachess
Tahuya
I think there are two other locations in the Olympic rain forest and also down in Olympia, I can't remember their names. Anybody want to correct me or chime in with more?

I imagine it will be a very different experience.

I will definitely check out some of those videos. Thanks for the info, I think it will pretty different as well.

Sasquatch 4x4 09-10-2012 12:15 PM

As for what the trails are like, a lot of them are very tight with lots of ruts

bluesman88 09-10-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightcrawl
BFG ATs are pretty good all around up here, but like mud in florida best traction up here in snow and mountain conditions are mud terrains style. ATs + snow chains will get u 99% of where you need to go in winter. Pay 100 bucks for chains with your ATs and will still be far ahead on gas milage/money in long run!

I was thinking the addition of snow chains might help so I'm thinking that would be my best bet. Is there a lot of people with rock crawling suspensions? Around here is mainly to clear bigger tires and more ground clearance and not to many rocks :)

bluesman88 09-10-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch 4x4
As for what the trails are like, a lot of them are very tight with lots of ruts

Some people are touchey about this but does anyone use the limb risers? They say they are helpful since the trails are so tight.

nwbronco 09-10-2012 01:40 PM

Haven't seen any limb raisers out here. In the fall and spring I am betting we have as much mud as you. As a daily driver A/Ts are okay. You get off roadin' much you'll be wanting M/Ts. We do have quite the wheeling experience out here. Rocks/mud/sand/high desert/tight passes, 3 and 4 point turns. It's all here, and then some.

Bob K.

bluesman88 09-10-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwbronco
Haven't seen any limb raisers out here. In the fall and spring I am betting we have as much mud as you. As a daily driver A/Ts are okay. You get off roadin' much you'll be wanting M/Ts. We do have quite the wheeling experience out here. Rocks/mud/sand/high desert/tight passes, 3 and 4 point turns. It's all here, and then some.

Bob K.

I figured as much, I had an idea in mind of what I wanted I do to my rig but I definitely didn't want to assume and end up having to change everything again lol

Nightcrawl 09-11-2012 12:50 AM

If you havnt been to WA, OR, ID before just know that there are more Forest Roads than asphalt in the mountains. When you go wheeling out here it can have an expeditionary feel. You can easily drive 50-70 miles on forest road with many places to wheel along your journey, with hundreds of places to cast-blast-camp!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.