Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Swag Offroad Tailgate Conversion - Initial Impression (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/swag-offroad-tailgate-conversion-initial-impression-186022.html)

MiniMe1969 09-09-2012 09:21 PM

Swag Offroad Tailgate Conversion - Initial Impression

So I have been wanting to do the drop down tailgate conversion, but my fabricating skills are pretty much non-existent. I saw the Swag Offroad conversion kit mentioned on multiple forums, and had not seen any negative reviews, so I purchased this one. I went with the kit to keep my TJ tailgate, vice getting an old CJ tailgate and mounting that.

Let me start by saying I am very critical of the parts I buy. I work too damn hard to earn to tolerate any problems.

If first impressions are anything, this is a great company with a quality product. Troy from Swag Offroad answered a bunch of my initial questions, both online and via phone, and it is clear that the company stands behind their product and is there to help. :thumb:

I received the kit, which includes everything I need. The parts are quality, and I can't wait to get them installed. Spent this weekend painting all the parts that needed it (used Rustoleum primer/paint - couple of coats and it came out great).

I'll post pics as soon as I find the spare time to start in the next week or so. Directions seem pretty straitforward, so even an engineering challenged guy like me can figure them out.

Heliotropic 09-09-2012 10:17 PM

I just recently saw this conversion kit myself in a video online. I didn't know it even existed. It seems pretty cool though. But I got to thinking... would I have a need or use for a drop down tailgate on a Jeep?
What is your reasoning for buying it?

Wheelerbob 09-09-2012 10:45 PM

I would say because it's cool and you always have a seat. Just my opinion.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 09-09-2012 11:34 PM

Extra tub space? With the seat out and tub bedlined it would be like a 5' pick-up bed....almost :)

DBoat 09-10-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heliotropic (Post 2775844)
I just recently saw this conversion kit myself in a video online. I didn't know it even existed. It seems pretty cool though. But I got to thinking... would I have a need or use for a drop down tailgate on a Jeep?
What is your reasoning for buying it?

I have been thinking about it.. another seat, a place to put the Coleman stove, etc etc.. and maybe be a little bit different

Dana

Dirty Mitten Mudders 09-10-2012 03:57 AM

It can also serve as a work bench on the trail. Just a thought...

MiniMe1969 09-10-2012 07:45 PM

I decided to do it since I really liked the look, and it drives me crazy when I am working on something around the Jeep not to have a place to lay the parts and tools out. Damn swinging tailgate is a pain.

If I was to build the perfect TJ, it would have the TJ tailgate, but drop down and also include the "JEEP" stamped in the metal. It would have the front signal lights in the grille, and it would have gauges like a CJ.

Sigh.....in a perfect world we could get conversion kits for everything....... :rolleyes:

Dextreme 09-10-2012 09:53 PM

I know Troy personally and he and products are awesome! I may do that tailgate conversion one of these days too. :thumb:

adamkn 09-11-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Mitten Mudders (Post 2776228)
It can also serve as a work bench on the trail. Just a thought...

x2

Last time I was involved with a repair on the trail, there wasn't any good space on the ground to set tools. Just mud, rocks, boulders, brush.

Also, typically lunch is on the trail - nice to have a spot for prepping food, or just to sit down.

MiniMe1969 11-11-2012 10:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just transferred to another command, and free time is virtually non-existent. Gave up trying and brought the tailgate conversion over to Off Road Jeeps in Virginia Beach to install since I was getting some other work done.

All in all, very happy with the product. High quality and just what I wanted.

Here's some pics.........

DeJeeps 11-11-2012 02:13 PM

Looks good, and I like the idea of having a horizontal space to set tools/parts on. But to carry a spare you would need a swing-out carrier, right?

00tj2 11-11-2012 02:36 PM

I installed the same kit in July! I love it! Ive been meaning to do a write up but I just don't have the time so I will chime in here. The only bit of advise I have is wait instill you remove the tailgate from the jeep. I jumped ahead and it made it harder to line everything up. Other than my mistake the parts were high quality and the two times I called the costumer service was great! I figured I could piece the kit together myself for cheaper but it's just easier to order it and support a small American business.

TJspeed 11-11-2012 03:42 PM

Will the 3rd brake light connector on the tail gate still work?

MiniMe1969 11-11-2012 03:46 PM

The third brake light is the modification I have to do next. When you install the drop-down kit, you will need to remove the bracket that holds the brake light connectors (on the inside/bottom of the tailgate).

My intent is to cut a hole and mount a third brake light inset and run the wiring down the inside of the tailgate. Just need to figure out how to tie it into the main harness.

I have a third brake light on the license plate, but in Virginia the third brake light must be above the taillights to pass inspection.

thecheezman 11-11-2012 04:12 PM

Just ordered this and should be here this week. Can't wait to install it.

I have a few different reasons why I'd need something like that. First, my stock swing out tailgate is almost impossible to open and close. Its feels like the hinges are bent and the bearings in it are busted. Second, a nice work bench, to work off of. Third is a seat/step. Countless times I've needed a ladder or something and have pulled my Jeep up and used that to stand on, I can actually use the gate as a little stepladder in rough situations.

Dewstr1 11-11-2012 04:32 PM

Does the latch and lock still function properly?

MiniMe1969 11-11-2012 05:34 PM

Yep, stock latch and lock work fine. To secure the left side, you push it in slightly and line up the catch.

After the install the tailgate is just as secure, tight, and seated as if the stock set up was there.