Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Putting in SYE, slow ATF fluid leak from transmission (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/putting-in-sye-slow-atf-fluid-leak-from-transmission-186228.html)

jcr913 09-10-2012 09:26 PM

Putting in SYE, slow ATF fluid leak from transmission

So I've got my transfer case out putting in a SYE kit. I'm waiting on Advanced Adapters to send me a lock ring that was missing in my kit and I stuck a bucket under it because there was a drip every once in awhile coming from where the transmission and t-case mount up. I've had it out for about 2 days or so and it has about filled up one of those Folgers plastic coffee buckets. Is there a seal there that is bad or is that fluid between the transmission and t-case normal? Also the transmission pan is a little wet and I'm thinking while I'm waiting on pulling it and putting in a new filter/gasket and fluid. How much fluid usually goes in the transmission and is that a hard job to do? Thanks!

jcr913 09-10-2012 10:01 PM

Anybody? I'd like to take a stab at this and fix any problems before I get the lock ring in and proceed with putting the t-case back in. After it's in my new Dana 44 Front and Ford 8.8, courtesy of East Coast Gear Supply, are sitting in the carport begging to be put in! Thanks again!

jcr913 09-11-2012 08:31 AM

Thanks for the help!

Goobs63 09-11-2012 09:01 AM

Hello i guess nobody knows or something. I havent had a jeep one apart yet but i think its a seal on the front input side of the t case so the tranny fluid dont get in the t case There should be a gasket or silicone between the 2 so it dont leak on the ground. I don't think i would worry about it dripping if its apart just make sure its full before you take off to go testing.

bcpaddler 09-11-2012 11:54 AM

Sorry. I didn't take the entire TC off, I just separated the case half's and installed mine. Not sure where or why yours is leaking. I believe the auto transmission accepts 3 quarts. From what I've read, you just fill it up until it starts leaking over the the fill plug. You may want to search that and confirm.

Good Luck.

Jerry Bransford 09-11-2012 01:45 PM

The tcase input shaft is what seals the transmission output shaft. I would jack up the transmission a tad so it is not sloping down.

Ender1183 09-11-2012 03:50 PM

I guess no one really under stands your question. Is everything hooked back up and leaking. I would imagine there is some kind of seal between the tc and trans. I also just took the halfs off. I did have to redo the seal since I did put enough on.

I don't think you should worry about it to much until putting it back together.

Jerry Bransford 09-11-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender1183 (Post 2781578)
I guess no one really under stands your question. Is everything hooked back up and leaking. I would imagine there is some kind of seal between the tc and trans.

He explained above that his transfer case has been removed and the transmission is now leaking. As explained above, it is the transfer case input shaft that seals the transmission at its output shaft. When the transfer case is reinstalled, the transmission will stop leaking.

jcr913 09-11-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2781801)
He explained above that his transfer case has been removed and the transmission is now leaking. As explained above, it is the transfer case input shaft that seals the transmission at its output shaft. When the transfer case is reinstalled, the transmission will stop leaking.

Thanks guys for the help. Yeah I've got it apart and went ahead and replaced the input seal on the back of the transmission while I am waiting. Went ahead and replaced the transmission filter and fluid while the skid's off. Also did any of you put any RTV back on between the transfer case and transmission when you reinstalled it?

Jerry Bransford 09-11-2012 06:32 PM

RTV is not used or needed where the transmission and transfer cases bolt together.

jcr913 09-11-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2782072)
RTV is not used or needed where the transmission and transfer cases bolt together.

Thanks Jerry!