Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New member looking to buy a TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-member-looking-to-buy-a-tj-186391.html)

5spdftw 09-11-2012 05:47 PM

New member looking to buy a TJ

Hey fellas,
I own a 1994 YJ now that I would love to leverage into a TJ. Mainly, mine is not very highway capable and I'm a huge fan of my friend's TJ. My YJ is heavily modified and I hope it still carries a good amount of value. I figured this would be the place to run some possible purchases past some experts. I found a pretty sweet one but I'm concerned that the price may be too high...2002 Jeep Wrangler--Ready to Wheel
Thoughts?

Dextreme 09-11-2012 06:12 PM

Thats a nice looking Jeep, but in my opinion is that 37's are pushing it for the D30 (no mention of chromoly axle shafts). It probably needs some 1 tons to be done right.

5spdftw 09-11-2012 06:53 PM

So if he doesn't have chromoly shafts is it a complete no go or is it just I have to factor in 35 inch tires after I buy it? I was also concerned about those tires rubbing...thoughts?

TJspeed 09-11-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 2782015)
Thats a nice looking Jeep, but in my opinion is that 37's are pushing it for the D30 (no mention of chromoly axle shafts). It probably needs some 1 tons to be done right.

you do a front D44 swap and some chromolys and the right gears the D44's will be just fine. The JK's run 37's with D44 front and rear and their bigger then our TJ's

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 2782133)
So if he doesn't have chromoly shafts is it a complete no go or is it just I have to factor in 35 inch tires after I buy it? I was also concerned about those tires rubbing...thoughts?

Just dont plan on wheeling if it has the D30 in the front. if you put a D44 front you'll be good for a little while.

5spdftw 09-11-2012 06:58 PM

Cost wise would it be smarter to just go down a tire size?

5spdftw 09-11-2012 07:39 PM

In other words, would it be safe to put 35s on instead of the 37s? Spend 1k instead of 2.5k and solve both weak axle and rubbing problems? I'm not too crazy offroad but I have been known to get myself into more trouble than I reckoned. I like to be prepared and not dumb about using the wrong parts.

5spdftw 09-11-2012 10:57 PM

What would you guys estimate this car to be worth?
2005 Jeep Wrangler, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 09-11-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 2782987)
What would you guys estimate this car to be worth?
2005 Jeep Wrangler, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

It's at a dealer so it's worth however good your negotiating skills are ;) You could probably get it for 19k before taxes...won't know unless you try. Being that it's a rubi LJ I would at least try.

5spdftw 09-12-2012 02:51 AM

That't what I figured, they're pretty rare. I love that I can have D44 axles front and back without having to rely on someone having put them on aftermarket. I think I'm gonna just lowball the bejesus out of it first. Kelly blue book has them valued at around 18-18.5k for a private seller. How sought after are these LJ's? Hopefully the dealer doesn't really know what he has...

5spdftw 09-12-2012 04:08 PM

Anyone else have any input regarding that LJ before I go to look at it?

pcwolf 09-12-2012 04:42 PM

Got to agree with the $19k offer, found my 2006 TJ Rubicon lock-stock from private seller with 32,000 miles for 16k this year. This was in Virginia.

Since this is LJ and mileage is pretty low @ 62,000 I'd say worth it if everything checks out.

5spdftw 09-13-2012 04:50 PM

Well I went to look at it this morning and unfortunately it was super scraped up underneath and the guy seemed to think he had a gem and refused to budge from 24k. My next target: Cars for Sale: 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 Sport in San Clemente, CA 92673: Sport Utility Details - 324709042 - AutoTrader.com
Thoughts?

Jacqui 09-14-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 2783490)
That't what I figured, they're pretty rare. I love that I can have D44 axles front and back without having to rely on someone having put them on aftermarket. I think I'm gonna just lowball the bejesus out of it first. Kelly blue book has them valued at around 18-18.5k for a private seller. How sought after are these LJ's? Hopefully the dealer doesn't really know what he has...

Haha, we were eyeing that particular LJ Rubi earlier this week, but we had the feeling the dealer wouldn't budge on the price, so we kept hunting. We ended up trading my Soul for a stock 2006 LJ Rubi with hardtop for $16k before taxes. Also had 62k miles. The LJ Rubi is quite rare. LJ's were only produced from '04-'06 and are rare enough as it is before you start adding Rubi to the list. Rubicon is the top tier, so there aren't many around, and the few that are, most people are hanging onto! We love the LJ. Having the longer wheelbase gives a foot of room in the back that the TJ's just don't have. If you can get your hands on a Rubi, that's even better since it comes stock with both Dana 44's and lockers. (we really liked that idea, too)

This is an example of a LJ with mild mods at a great price:
2005 LJ, lifted on 33's for $14k

You can typically get more for your money if you go for a TJ as opposed to a LJ. So, if you want a completed Jeep with a ton of mods, just look for a nice TJ with the right axles and such. You'll end up spending a lot less for it.

The '02 you posted has a Dana 44 rear and both lockers. I like the full cage and that it comes with a hardtop and full doors. It's basically a completed Jeep. Like buying a turn-key home that's already furnished and everything. Definitely worth taking a close-up inspection in person, if that's the sort of Jeep you want. ;)

Ebxgsxr 09-14-2012 10:55 AM

17 is a little high i think. i got my 99 with a lot of options like that one & it had 41k miles on it for $9500.

5spdftw 09-14-2012 05:46 PM

Looks like that white Sport already sold, back to hunting...any particular places I should look besides autotrader, craigslist, and forums?

Ebxgsxr 09-14-2012 06:18 PM

just keep your eye open. the right one will come along. for me, i also opened my search to surrounding areas. i ended up driving 2 hours to get my TJ. but definitely worth it for me.

5spdftw 09-14-2012 10:26 PM

Here we go guys, I'm driving 6 hours away to check this one out. It looks and sounds pristine and he says it has hardly been offroaded at all. Wish me luck, I'm going to start at 19k and hopefully settle on 20.
Cars for Sale: 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 Rubicon in Peoria, AZ 85382: Sport Utility Details - 329782727 - AutoTrader.com

Ebxgsxr 09-14-2012 11:21 PM

really nice. you have cash to pay? if so, i'd start at $18k.

5spdftw 09-15-2012 02:54 AM

Some guy had put a deposit on it in the hour between the two times I called. Mega bummed...

Jeffreybomb 09-15-2012 03:14 AM

Out of curiosity, have you considered Carmax? That's where I picked up my '04 TJ.

I don't mean to sound like a shill, but there's some bonuses to buying from them. You can buy an extended warranty. They'll cover any repairs you need for the first thirty days you have the vehicle, so it pays to pay very close attention to your Jeep for the first month you've got it.

You can also shop online and have Jeeps "shipped" to your location. There's a cost and it varies according to distance, but it really helps when you finally find the one you want. I think mine was about $250 to ship from North Carolina to Chicagoland.

That said, I also wanted to customize my TJ and make it my own, so I didn't mind starting with a stock model and working my way up with it.

Rubicondon53 09-15-2012 04:19 AM

Yes a nice looking Rubi, but think this over.. In March of 2004 I bought mine brand new. After haggling for over a month we settled on a price, then I whipped out my manufacturers discount on them and the haggling began all over again. I walked out.. The 31st of March they called me up and said they could meet my price .... I drove out of the dealership with my brand new 04 rubicon for 21,780... and they still made money.... Until Rubicons become a rare and collectible automobile 10 or 15 years from now, they just aren't worth 90% of their original retail value..

5spdftw 09-15-2012 04:38 PM

Back to square 1, the very first TJ I posted on here is back up for sale with 35" tires and chromoly axle shafts on a D30 front axle instead of the 37s. I'll link it again: JEEP WRANGLER FULLY LOADED - ROCK & TRAIL READY
What would you guys offer? 16? 16.5? It looks pretty solid.

5spdftw 09-16-2012 10:28 AM

Do you guys think that his front D30 will still be okay with 35's and chromoly shafts even though he used to run 37's? Could he have weakened the D30 or the shafts when he was using the bigger tires? I don't know much about how that works but I gather that 35's are a much more appropriate size.

Ebxgsxr 09-16-2012 01:10 PM

that basically looks like my twin, but cleaner, lol. the previous owner of my jeep was running a D30 front, D44 rear, both with chromoly shafts & an ABR locker. should be fine. he owned it since new, so i'm the second owner. i have not had any problems yet....knocking on wood......:hide:

alice the cat 09-16-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 2795531)
Back to square 1, the very first TJ I posted on here is back up for sale with 35" tires and chromoly axle shafts on a D30 front axle instead of the 37s. I'll link it again: JEEP WRANGLER FULLY LOADED - ROCK & TRAIL READY
What would you guys offer? 16? 16.5? It looks pretty solid.

I wish I would have done what you are doing. Finding a Jeep like that with all those great parts all ready done is a smart move. Add up what that guy has into his TJ... in my opinion thats a killer deal. Good luck in your search.

There is a TJ down here in SD that I want more than any other but Mrs. Alice said no...

Brute for sale - American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums

vballspen 09-16-2012 11:11 PM

The lockers in that jeep alone is about 2400. Plus gears and labor. Chaching. Like the previous post said. Add up all the parts. To build that jeep would cost a lot. If your really worried about the front end as to pull off diff cover and check to see how gears are holding up. Any ,metal shaving or chipped teeth.

5spdftw 09-18-2012 10:08 PM

I'm getting it! I'll be out of town until next tuesday but he's gonna hold it for me with a 10% deposit.

Jacqui 09-19-2012 11:50 AM

Be sure to post some pics as soon as you have it! Congrats!

Randens Rubi 09-19-2012 11:55 AM

Congrats!!

2JeepsThatRun 09-19-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice the cat

I wish I would have done what you are doing. Finding a Jeep like that with all those great parts all ready done is a smart move. Add up what that guy has into his TJ... in my opinion thats a killer deal. Good luck in your search.

There is a TJ down here in SD that I want more than any other but Mrs. Alice said no...

Brute for sale - American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums

I always stay away from already lifted Jeeps it just freaks me out a little, but that's just me. Although I don't mind axle and gear upgrades since there normally done by a pro. It's also a double standard since I did my lift myself and would have no problem selling it to someone if I did.