Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   ANOTHER potential purchase, needing opinions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/another-potential-purchase-needing-opinions-186416.html)

bob8619 09-11-2012 06:26 PM

ANOTHER potential purchase, needing opinions

Sorry folks. I just dont have a clue.

1984 CJ7 194xxx miles 4.2 and manual tranny, not sure which tranny though, $2200. Runs strong IMHO, I test drove it. Needs work, but other than possibly a new tub, its all small stuff: Alternator, windsheild frame,new knobs, suspected vacuum leaks, valve cover slow leak, brake lights not turning on.
Probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

The frame, based on my inspection, is rust free other than surface rust. Its lifted with some 35's on it. The kid traded a buggy for it to turn it into a full on mud truck, theres mud on it so I dont think its been babied.

Anyway, keep in mind I'm in southwest Florida and in my months of searching I have yet to see a jeep of any year that runs for this low of a price. So I'm looking for some thoughts based on the info I gave you, Does it sound like its worth it? Too much in your opinion or sound like a steal? Thanks .

4Jeepn 09-11-2012 08:48 PM

That's a lot of miles for a CJ. I would plan on rebuilding or addressing possible driveline issues soon. have you looked out side your area or in other states?

bob8619 09-11-2012 09:50 PM

outside my area yeah, drove 2.5 hours north one day to look at a pile of rust that was supposed to be rust free. And 2.5 hours south yesterday to find the mileage on the jeep to be no where near what the guy said it was. Two wasted trips which made me decide to never waste my time again. I asked both sellers to be honest with me so I wouldnt waste a trip and they both assured me that what they claimed was true. I'll buy local.

Out of state too would be so much money even if the jeep was in great shape, either driving it home or paying for deliver on top of the cost of the jeep. I think buying a used engine or rebuilding the engine would be cheaper. Could be wrong though

Why do you say its a lot for CJ? Is it not the same motor as the carbed YJs? I always hear how bulletproof those engines are granted they are maintained properly.

lynn 09-12-2012 07:22 AM

Can you get another tub easily? YJ tub would be the way to go.
Just a few conversion issues to overcome, such as body mount and windshield/cowl... not too hard.
Later YJs have the more desireable family cage too. Add a front hoop, good to go.

A 258 is a strong engine, but 200K - 250K miles is about max without a rebuild.
Transmissions in the 1984 era were light duty, T4 or T5 most likely, T176 medium duty if you are lucky.
The rear is the AMC model 20, known for certain weaknesses.

Show the guy 15 Benjamins, see if he takes it.
Good luck!

4Jeepn 09-12-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob8619 (Post 2782960)

Why do you say its a lot for CJ? Is it not the same motor as the carbed YJs? I always hear how bulletproof those engines are granted they are maintained properly.

Keep in mind when that CJ was built, @100k miles was considered the life span of the parts. Your close to twice that, which means even it was rebuilt its time again or darn close.

bob8619 09-12-2012 04:33 PM

Well I chose not to buy the Jeep I give up. thanks anyway

conn_air7 09-12-2012 04:41 PM

Good choice, probably not worth the time or money.

cattrax 09-13-2012 06:49 AM

I am thinking of selling mine. I have been told that I "have no clue what I have". It is hard for me to put a price on it because I have been told so many different things. Know anyone that could help?