Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   FYI - Water sound behind dash diagnosed by Chrysler (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/fyi-water-sound-behind-dash-diagnosed-by-chrysler-186603.html)

ksdindy 09-12-2012 02:36 PM

FYI - Water sound behind dash diagnosed by Chrysler

As referenced here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ano...ku-155761.html

Dealership called me back and said they had to await word from Chrysler about the problem to see what they thought it was because the dealer didn't think it was the heater core. Chrysler immediately said that the issue was due to a crack in the thermostat housing that was bleeding coolant back into the core. According to the dealer, Chrysler said it is a rapant issue (although my dealer has never encountered one) and the part is on back order.

Bad news is the part may take a month to get. Good news is the dealer is paying for my rental car and said that if I didn't like the Yaris they gave me, I could upgrade.

Sigh

highwayman 09-12-2012 02:59 PM

Haha, what? How does a cracked t-stat housing cause coolant to bleed back into the core? I guess Chrysler has some special design that no one knows about that empties the core when shutdown. If they're referring to air in the system, if air can get in, coolant can get out. Haven't heard anything about coolant leaks in the complaints. Sounds bogus to me. We'll see how yours go.

kbwwolf 09-12-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksdindy (Post 2785319)
Good news is the dealer is paying for my rental car and said that if I didn't like the Yaris they gave me, I could upgrade.

What the hell's a Yaris? Sounds like something Weird Al Yankovic would've driven. :)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,314_.jpg

951Jason 09-12-2012 04:52 PM

Don't you love it when you take a nice truck or car in for service and they send you off in a sardine can.:D

I threw a fit when I took my 05 Ford F-250 Diesel in for warranty work and they pulled around my rental and it was a focus hatchback. Let me just put all my work tools and ladders in that focus, and then figure out where I'm going to sit....:nonono:

I hope they get you back on the road shortly.:thumb:

oilwell1415 09-12-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwayman (Post 2785408)
Haha, what? How does a cracked t-stat housing cause coolant to bleed back into the core? I guess Chrysler has some special design that no one knows about that empties the core when shutdown. If they're referring to air in the system, if air can get in, coolant can get out. Haven't heard anything about coolant leaks in the complaints. Sounds bogus to me. We'll see how yours go.

I think maybe OP misunderstood what the dealer told him. The coolant should be in the heater core. Draining back into it would be a good thing. What probably happens is the crack allows coolant to escape the system and air to replace it. When you start the engine the air gets pumped through the system until it finds a place it can't escape from and that place is in the heater core.

highwayman 09-13-2012 04:11 AM

Yeah, I figured that. I find it hard to believe no one would mention a coolant leak. If air can get in, coolant can get out. The issues I've read have never mentioned any coolant leaks.

RB-10rubicon 09-13-2012 06:20 AM

I drive a 2010 and i hear this on start up when its been sitting for a while ..is there a tsb on this from chrysler. If its not harmimg any thing im leaving it alone.

ksdindy 09-13-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB-10rubicon
I drive a 2010 and i hear this on start up when its been sitting for a while ..is there a tsb on this from chrysler. If its not harmimg any thing im leaving it alone.

I don't know if it's harming anything, but mine used to only do it when the engine was cold but I took it in when it started doing it all the time.

oilwell1415 09-13-2012 08:38 AM

Chrysler plastic intakes have been famous for this for years. They typically only leak when they are hot, so the coolant that escapes is steam. You never see a trail or smell coolant because it's so small.

On the 12s I thought the more likely cause was that they didn't fill them correctly at the factory.

ksdindy 09-19-2012 07:26 AM

A week later, the T-stat housing replaced and it's still making the "flushing" noise.

Frustrated.

StephSH 09-20-2012 06:55 AM

I noticed this sound on my 2013 this morning, have only had it for three weeks so I think I'll wait and see what finally fixes it on yours before I take it in. The guessing games at the stealerships get really old.

SilverSport 09-20-2012 08:44 AM

I swear there was a thread on here a while back about the same issue, but I can't find it at the moment. Seems like the cause/fix was something with the heater core.

BadOleRoss 09-20-2012 08:52 AM

There was a link to another thread a in the first post but I went and looked at that thread and the cause still seems to be a mystery. Some say the heater core, some say air in the cooling system.....at this point I am not sure anyone really knows.

CombatChuk 09-20-2012 09:16 AM

A buddy of mine just got his Jeep fixed for the same problem. The Dealer said the bleeder valve (I'm assuming for the Heater Core) was open. I guess they tightened that and it's good now

Paul10 10-11-2012 06:32 PM

I just noticed this sound in my 2013 Sport. I wonder where this bleeder valve is.

SilverSport 10-11-2012 07:03 PM

Bleeder valve is on the thermostat housing.

Paul10 10-11-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 2881758)
Bleeder valve is on the thermostat housing.

Ok...how do I find that :)

Paul10 10-11-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul10 (Post 2881802)
Ok...how do I find that :)

Just in case someone else finds this thread, this is what you had said "Thermostat is located on front of engine; follow upper hose from radiator to engine."

SilverSport 10-11-2012 08:39 PM

I admit to posting that statement. :D

kramer2k 10-15-2012 06:12 PM

I just experienced the liquid sound behind my dash for the first time. I got in mine to move it backwards in the driveway so I could wash it.

I'll follow SilverSport's advice and examine the bleeder valve to see if it needs to be tightened. Otherwise, I'm in a holding patter on this one until something worse happens. Like some others, I'm not fond of techs ripping into my new Jeep that is only 500 miles old.

New Jeep 10-17-2012 04:01 PM

I have a 2013 that does this when you accelerate sometimes. I don't notice it at start up. It sounds like air in the cooloing system to me. I was not sure if that was normal since this is my first Jeep and first Chrysler. I checked the coolent level figuring that the factory or dealership did not fill it all the way. The overflow tank is at the full line. I guess I will need to take it in. Only 1000 miles on it, so I have lots of time.

MUEngineer 10-17-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
A buddy of mine just got his Jeep fixed for the same problem. The Dealer said the bleeder valve (I'm assuming for the Heater Core) was open. I guess they tightened that and it's good now

They just did this today when I went in for my first oil change on my 2013 JKS and then burped the system to remove the air and the noise is gone.

What that noise is coming from is from coolant pushing air through the heater core on startup. With that bleeder valve left open, every time the system loses pressure, air gets sucked into the cooling loop, settles in the core and you hear it going through the heater core when coolant tries to replace it on start up.

Everybody with this issue needs to call Chrysler and start a file. Go to your dealer and ask them to make sure the bleed valve is closed and burp the cooling system and see if your noise is gone like mine went away.

maleman876 10-17-2012 04:41 PM

my 2013 does this. ill check the valve and see what happens.

SilverSport 10-17-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUEngineer (Post 2899633)
They just did this today when I went in for my first oil change on my 2013 JKS and then burped the system to remove the air and the noise is gone.

What that noise is coming from is from coolant pushing air through the heater core on startup. With that bleeder valve left open, every time the system loses pressure, air gets sucked into the cooling loop, settles in the core and you hear it going through the heater core when coolant tries to replace it on start up.

Everybody with this issue needs to call Chrysler and start a file. Go to your dealer and ask them to make sure the bleed valve is closed and burp the cooling system and see if your noise is gone like mine went away.

Good info!

72-2012 10-17-2012 05:20 PM

I just bought a 2012. I heard that sound a hand full of times awhile ago. If memory serves me correctly it was on start up. I haven't heard in lately. Will have it checked out on first oil change.

jadmt 10-17-2012 07:55 PM

The other day I checked the bleeder valve and it was tight. I went ahead and burped the system squeezing the upper hose and watching bubbles at the radiator cap. Anyway has not done it since. I would thing if the bleeder valve was not tight that when the system got hot and was pressurized that coolant would be spewing.

truthiness 10-17-2012 07:58 PM

any long term damage if we do nothing?

WXman 10-17-2012 08:56 PM

I'm betting this issue is related to the clogged heater core issue that's causing many 2012s to have poor heat from the vents in cold weather.

jeeptrail 10-18-2012 07:32 PM

Yep, the bleeder valve needed tightening by almost 1/4 turn. There was coolant around the valve, but no dripping. I had smelled a slight coolant odor occasionally, since getting the jeep new in march. After reading the comments here, I checked. It's a small area to work in, to get to the valve. Checked and tightened on cold engine.

jtbaker1911 10-19-2012 09:24 PM

Hey guys. Im new here to the forum but I work at a chrysler dealership as a tech and we have been seeing some of these issues. Flushing noise on start up or while driving, and a difference in heat temperature at the vents. Typically you will get a 30 degree drop from the passenger side vent to the driver side. The fix for these is replacing the heater core.
When the 3.6l engine was being built, chrysler says some casting sand did not get cleaned out of the engine and ends up in the heater core causing it to semi plug up. THe flushing noise you are hearing is from half the heater core being drained after engine has cooled down and when you start, the water pump makes enough pressure to slowly fill the heater core up.
Possible long term issues that can occur is overheating on a hot summer day. I havent seen one yet that was over heating but anything can happen. Also, if you do take our vehicle in and it comes out to be the heater core, dont get in a hurry for your vehicle back. The HVAC houseing is bolted to the dash so the entire dash has to be pulled out and placed on the bench in order to replace. So be looking at one to two day repair. Hope this helps!