Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Thinking about ditching the sealed beams (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/thinking-about-ditching-the-sealed-beams-186620.html)

Blind Dog 09-12-2012 04:13 PM

Thinking about ditching the sealed beams

Anybody done the H4 Halogen conversion on their TJ? Were you happy with it?
Something like this:
Delta Tech 1-1149-50 - DELTA® 7" Round H4 Headlight Conversion Kit with Halogen H4 Bulbs for 45-86 Jeep® CJ & 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

My eyes aren't getting any younger, and the glare from a lot of bright halogens and HIDs from othe oncoming traffic is making it take longer to get my eyes readjusted to the light from the sealed beams. I already put the halogen version sealed beams and made sure the contacts and grounds were clean for full voltage, but the output or the light pattern isn't the best.

TnDz TJ 09-12-2012 06:13 PM

Plenty of threads on this.....

I have Hella E-Codes and love them! I installed H4's for around $25 which is about 3X brighter than the sealed beams. There are a few companies making similar headlamps for comparable prices

Blind Dog 09-12-2012 07:44 PM

Oddly, I couldn't find anything useful.

E-Codes? Thanks!

wtbiv73 09-12-2012 08:13 PM

I've got 'em. They're great!

Imped 09-12-2012 08:22 PM

Do some research and you'll find that the Hella E-code housings are by far the most recommended housing around.

I run them with OSRAM 70/65w bulbs and an upgraded harness using components from Daniel Stern. It flat out rocks and turns night into day. I don't like a bunch of tacky lights all over my Jeep so I made sure the ones I do have exceed any need.
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...w/IMAG0688.jpg

Head-on shot of the high beams. Obnoxiously powerful
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...w/IMAG0687.jpg

TnDz TJ 09-12-2012 08:25 PM

I run the full compliment of Hella Lighting:

Fogs, Driving Lights and E-Codes... couldn't be happier

http://cdn.wranglerforum.com/attachm...3/dsc03442.jpg

Corbeau 09-12-2012 09:22 PM

Fog on the outside and driving on the inside, I gather?

Thinking about Hella 500, driving, but after reading this thread I might replace the sealed beams first.

UnlimitedRubicon 09-13-2012 12:38 AM

I bought Cibie E-code housings, OSRAM bilux 70/65 bulbs and a wiring harness kit from Daniel Stern. The bulbs don't have the greatest lifespan ~ 200 hrs. (I bought 2 spares) but looking at the pic that Imped has posted I'll take the trade-off. The OSRAM night breaker plus 60/55 bulbs have about twice the life but obviously less output.

Spend the extra money on a wiring harness kit to get the most out of whatever housing/bulb setup you go with.

lynn 09-13-2012 06:47 AM

I installed the Hella e-codes with standard 60/55 H4 bulbs and still run the factory wiring harness. This alone was a significant upgrade over the sad sealed beams.
I do plan on installing an upgraded wiring harness kit at some point in the future, so I can run a slightly stronger bulb and benefit from the better wiring.

I got my Hella e-codes on Amazon via Susquehanna Motorsports.

However as UR and Imped indicate above, you really cant go wrong with Cibie, and products/info from Daniel Stern.

HaloNHorns2002 09-13-2012 08:06 AM

Ok, dumb question... on Quadratec's website, the Hella e-codes are not DOT approved. The box for Osram low beams in my Subaru Legacy said the same thing and I thought nothing of it... Should I worry with the Jeep? It sits so much higher than the Leggy, I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

TnDz TJ 09-13-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbeau (Post 2786835)
Fog on the outside and driving on the inside, I gather?

exactly....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloNHorns2002 (Post 2787910)
Ok, dumb question... on Quadratec's website, the Hella e-codes are not DOT approved. The box for Osram low beams in my Subaru Legacy said the same thing and I thought nothing of it... Should I worry with the Jeep? It sits so much higher than the Leggy, I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

Correct... NOT DOT legal... I have no worries

Imped 09-13-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

That doesn't mean they're "illegal." It'll be a cold day in hell when you actually get cited for something like that.

You won't blind anyone if you aim them properly. Even the stock headlights will cause issues if they're improperly aimed.

homebrwd 09-13-2012 08:27 AM

They are e-codes, which means they have a European spec beam pattern. The US is allowing the use of this in newer vehicles (DOT approving them) and it is better light output than the US standard. You will have a better cutoff line and light will be where you need it and brighter.

Blind Dog 09-13-2012 09:21 AM

Are any of these kind of upgrade kits DOT "approved"?

homebrwd 09-13-2012 09:34 AM

Nothing e-coded will be but as someone who has owned a few Euro vehicles and swapped their headlights for e-coded ones, I have never had an issue with inspection, which would be the only time anyone would ever catch it. The only kit I know of that is DOT stamped is the trucklite LED headlights.

Blind Dog 09-13-2012 09:44 AM

OK. Thanks!

UnlimitedRubicon 09-13-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

It sits so much higher than the Leggy, I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

That's the benefit of E-code housings. They have a distinct vertical beam cutoff. Unless, of course, you have your housings improperly adjusted. HID kits installed in halogen housings are generally the ones that blind oncoming traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Dog (Post 2788099)
Are any of these kind of upgrade kits DOT "approved"?

It is probably not worth the money or the effort to change from a DOT sealed beam to a DOT H4 housing. You can still benefit from a wiring harness upgrade, though. The Truck lite LEDs mentioned by homebrwd are DOT approved but are also around double the cost.

Imped 09-13-2012 10:23 AM

Euro code headlights are probably more common in new cars than non-Euro code housings now. Go drive any Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. from the last few years and you'll love the cutoff. Lexus, Acura, and a lot of others use them as well. I'm pretty sure the new Z06 I passed last night had some as well.

Point--legality is a non-issue.

HaloNHorns2002 09-13-2012 10:51 AM

My Legacy has a nice sharp cutoff, and they're not even HID. I'm sold. Headed into winter in MI, that's going to be my next project! Damn for having too many cars and not enough money... I need to win the lottery.

lynn 09-13-2012 11:29 AM

Our 08 Volvo S60 has a sharp cut-off and throws a bit more light to the right, typical e-spec. The Hella e-codes I installed in the LJ have an equally distinct sharp cut off, with a bit more projection to the right to illuminate road signs and berm hazzards better.

KCMOTJ 09-13-2012 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed these...
KC HiLites Performance 7” Round Headlamp Kit

Attachment 159796

...the original bulbs that they came with were a lot better than sealed beams, probably atleast twice as bright, but I wanted a bit more light so I went and put these in...

PIAA H4 EXTREME WHITE PLUS

Attachment 159800

...which probably is twice as bright as the KCHiLites bulbs. Spent about $180 total, to me it was well worth it.

aTX427 09-13-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 2786525)
Do some research and you'll find that the Hella E-code housings are by far the most recommended housing around.

I run them with OSRAM 70/65w bulbs and an upgraded harness using components from Daniel Stern. It flat out rocks and turns night into day. I don't like a bunch of tacky lights all over my Jeep so I made sure the ones I do have exceed any need.

This is the exact combo I have and the difference is amazing. Relatively inexpensive and is plug-n-play.

4wheelin 09-13-2012 07:48 PM

Here's my Hella light, DOT approved replacement post.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-h...nt-107693.html

It's not E code, but significantly better than stock sealed beams.

Uses stock wiring harness, etc...

If you dont think it's bright enough, you can switch out the bulbs.

This might help too:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...t/viewall.html

Best of luck!

Blind Dog 09-13-2012 08:17 PM

^^^ That's good stuff. Thanks!^^^

4wheelin 09-14-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Dog
^^^ That's good stuff. Thanks!^^^

My pleasure! That's what this forum is all about.

lifted tj 10-28-2012 06:26 PM

Iv been thinking about doing this too, I have the sucky stock sealed beams two KC 100w daylighters up by the windshield and I just put on hella 500ff fog lights on the bumper, Iv looked at a bunch of kits and I was gunna settle on the KC set till I read here about the e-codes I want to run the 100/80w optilux xenon blue bulbs or just a 100w bulb but I'm worried about if I don't do the upgraded harness what will happen? You guys helped me out when I first got my TJ and now I'm looking for some more help :) I just need brighter lights

Blind Dog 10-28-2012 06:52 PM

You got the same setup I do except I think my KC windshield lights are 55W. I guess now I'll have to check that. I don't run them often, but the 500 fogs help on country roads. Still haven't done anything with the headlights yet except after I got it I fixed the aim and matched them. There was one halogen (sealed beam) and one standard and they looked different color and brightness.

lifted tj 10-28-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Dog
You got the same setup I do except I think my KC windshield lights are 55W. I guess now I'll have to check that. I don't run them often, but the 500 fogs help on country roads. Still haven't done anything with the headlights yet except after I got it I fixed the aim and matched them. There was one halogen (sealed beam) and one standard and they looked different color and brightness.

I have to re wire the KC's who ever put them in hacked the crap out of the wiring n the one worked n now it stoped n I'm hooking up the fogs to the factory switch, once I order the connectors, I know I have the sealed beams n factory harness I'm ready to order the e-codes just didn't know I'd need the new harness and I'm worried that I might mess something up without the harness

UnlimitedLJ04 10-28-2012 07:19 PM

another option:
Bosch European H4 Headlights - PAIR

lifted tj 10-28-2012 07:31 PM

Do I have to change the harness? Or can factory work?