Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2013 stereo questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2013-stereo-questions-186868.html)

Landonk 09-13-2012 04:04 PM

2013 stereo questions

Just picked up my 2013 Sport S Unlimited this week and I have some stereo questions. I have been reading about the Mopar Kicker speaker upgrade. I have the 130 basic 6 speaker setup without the subwoofer. I am not looking for a huge improvement just a little more volume and a little more bass.
1. Will the Kicker speaker upgrade alone help out?
2. What is the difference between my current speakers and the Infinity ones?
3. Is the factory subwoofer and amp worth pursuing?

Thanks

Sorry so many questions.

Landonk 09-17-2012 05:43 AM

Just poly filled the sound bar. Does the kicker speaker upgrade help out on volume?

michaeltoc 09-25-2012 12:45 PM

I have a 2012 Sport S, and removed the subwoofer. Yes, I notice a small decrease in the bass response - but that's about it. I prefer the extra cubic foot, or so, of cargo space to more bass. Plus, I don't understand the point of a subwoofer with the top down, as it gets totally covered in the trunk.

Metonymy 09-25-2012 11:02 PM

Replace the front speakers (6 1/2's). You'll be glad you did.

Amazon.com look for "77kick10". Instructions that come in the box will be wrong, but there's plenty of write-ups on how to do it in the 11/12/13 models.

michaeltoc 09-26-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy (Post 2830364)
Replace the front speakers (6 1/2's). You'll be glad you did.

I thought Infinity's were good speakers. These are better?

j0nx 09-26-2012 06:40 AM

Changing speakers on this system will do NOTHING for you. And afaik you can't just add the amp and sub to the non infinity system. I was going to try and do that too when I first bought the Jeep but my dealer said it can't be done unless it comes from the factory with it. In the end I just replaced the HU with a Pioneer AVH3400BH, RF 300 watt amp and JL speakers front and back. Freakin night and day difference doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't need nor do I want a sub as I am getting plenty of bass response from the setup as is.

Landonk 09-26-2012 12:09 PM

I bet your system sounds great! But I did the 4 speaker Kicker swap on my Sport w base 130 system and the results were fantastic. For $158 I think it was a wise investment for any Jeeper wanting lto spice up their sound and to keep the factory uConnect in place with the factory hu.

Master Pain 80 10-01-2012 12:43 PM

I was looking into swapping all the speakers with the Kickers and keep the 430n head unit on my 2013 unlimited. Its already the upgraded Alpine system but I am not happy with it. Too much bass to it. Even Talk radio on Sirius has way too much bass in the voices. Do the Kickers add a good amount of treble to the sound? As it is now I have my bass at -5 mids at +5 and Treble at +9. There is still too much bass in my opinion.

Has anyone replaced the stock tweeters on the dash? Can replacing all these run on the stock amp or would I have to replace it? How hard is it to replace the dash speakers?

PhotoWrangler 10-01-2012 12:56 PM

I have the basic setup with the 130 that DOES NOT have the UConnect buttons, and this is what I plan to do:

1. I bought THIS HU as a replacement for my current HU.
2. I'll add the Mopar UConnect system with iPod integration cable.
3. I'll upgrade the 6.5's with some JL Audio units
4. I'll hopefully pick up an OEM sub box that I can put in the back of my JK, and install a JL Audio sub in with an aftermarket amp.

My goal is to obtain the hands free phone, and a deeper/richer sound with a sub, and keep everything looking as factory as possible.

Does anyone know what the factory 6.5" speakers are made of? If they are paper, the Kicker upgrade has GOT to sound better!

Landonk 10-01-2012 12:57 PM

My base 130 res system had zero bass. This kicker upgrade has added bass and treble. I highly recommend these speakers. There are several threads on installing these speakers in front dash. Take your time. Pretty easy. You have to bend the dash. Sounds scary, but when you do it, you realize its pretty flexible. If you are a decent "wrench" you can do it without a hitch.

Landonk 10-01-2012 12:58 PM

They are most definately paper. Kickers are a must for music heads!
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 2848972)
I have the basic setup with the 130 that DOES NOT have the UConnect buttons, and this is what I plan to do:

1. I bought THIS HU as a replacement for my current HU.
2. I'll add the Mopar UConnect system with iPod integration cable.
3. I'll upgrade the 6.5's with some JL Audio units
4. I'll hopefully pick up an OEM sub box that I can put in the back of my JK, and install a JL Audio sub in with an aftermarket amp.

My goal is to obtain the hands free phone, and a deeper/richer sound with a sub, and keep everything looking as factory as possible.

Does anyone know what the factory 6.5" speakers are made of? If they are paper, the Kicker upgrade has GOT to sound better!

PhotoWrangler 10-01-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landonk (Post 2848973)
My base 130 res system had zero bass. This kicker upgrade has added bass and treble. I highly recommend these speakers. There are several threads on installing these speakers in front dash. Take your time. Pretty easy. You have to bend the dash. Sounds scary, but when you do it, you realize its pretty flexible. If you are a decent "wrench" you can do it without a hitch.

Did you take photos of how you did it, or can you point me to which threads you used for DIY instructions?

I may polyfill and up grade the rollbar/dash speakers tomorrow if I can find the Kickers locally.

ETA: Matter of fact... the postman just dropped off the box. The new HU is here.

Master Pain 80 10-01-2012 02:12 PM

is there another amp to replace the stock one with that will fit in the same spot as stock?

panthermark 10-01-2012 02:16 PM

My "plan" is to Poly-fill everything, and swap the Alpine 6.5's with Polk Audio 6.5's (I simply like Polk Audio speakers) and upgrade the sub. Of course, I have not heard the Alpine's, so maybe they are better than expected. The best mod I've see is someone basically mounting a sup amp right on top of the factory amp with some metal spacers. That where everything is tucked away out of sight.

If you could somehow get 100 to 200 watts of clean power to a high quaility, poly-filled sub, you would be in good shape. Tap the sub outs AFTER the factory amp, using a new amp with speaker level inputs, and go from there. It sucks that you waste the sub wattage from the factory amp, but at least you can now get some level of seperate gain adjustment and cross-over selection for your sub.

A nice 8" sub that can get down the 30hz with 150 watts of clean power to it crossed over at 70hz will give you all of the low fill that you need.
It would be nice

Master Pain 80 10-09-2012 10:01 AM

I think I have decided to go with a set of Focal 6.5" components and a set of coax and a small amp to run them with the stock amp running the subwoofer. Still keeping the stock 430n HU. Not too expensive and they sound pretty good

paleh0rse 10-16-2012 10:34 PM

Has anyone replaced the 2013 Alpine 6.5's with the Kickers? If so, how would you rate the improvements (if any)?

Second question: if I don't go with the Mopar Kickers, how difficult is it to mount any other random aftermarket 6.5" speaker?

If life to swap out all the amps and sub as well, but that will have to wait...

Wyle69 11-08-2012 12:27 PM

amp harness

Is the harness the same for the jeeps without the premium system? I had the base radio with uconnect and swapped it out to the rhr with nav and just picked up the factory alpine sub system for the rear off ebay. The wire harness is there in the back for the sub and 12v lighter plug but I looked for the connector where the amp should be and didnt see it. I'm not sure if it is tucked up in there somewhere or the harness are different.

relyt 03-06-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyle69 (Post 2973001)
Is the harness the same for the jeeps without the premium system? I had the base radio with uconnect and swapped it out to the rhr with nav and just picked up the factory alpine sub system for the rear off ebay. The wire harness is there in the back for the sub and 12v lighter plug but I looked for the connector where the amp should be and didnt see it. I'm not sure if it is tucked up in there somewhere or the harness are different.

Did you ever get an answer? I'd be interested to know what's involved in adding the sub and if its remotely worth doing.

Wyle69 03-07-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relyt (Post 3469668)
Did you ever get an answer? I'd be interested to know what's involved in adding the sub and if its remotely worth doing.

The main dash harnesses are not the same. Non premium system dont have the harness for the factory amp. but you can run a set of low level outputs and run a aftermarket amp and run it to the sub

st1264 03-07-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nx (Post 2830913)
Changing speakers on this system will do NOTHING for you. And afaik you can't just add the amp and sub to the non infinity system. I was going to try and do that too when I first bought the Jeep but my dealer said it can't be done unless it comes from the factory with it. In the end I just replaced the HU with a Pioneer AVH3400BH, RF 300 watt amp and JL speakers front and back. Freakin night and day difference doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't need nor do I want a sub as I am getting plenty of bass response from the setup as is.

I agree. Just swapping speakers and keeping the factory head unit will do only so much. If the factory speakers have paper woofers there will be an improvement over the stock. But to really have a substantial "Night and Day" improvement you should change the HU, add an amp and good speakers. That, even without a sub will make your system listenable with the top down.

jeepedjeep 03-08-2013 04:11 AM

I have a 2013 JKUR with the alpine upgrade......IT SUCKES so much worse than the 08 with the infinity I had. So this is my remedy....

Kicker DS65
Kicker DS65.2
JBL GT804
Alpine PDX 5 (5 chan amp)
Audio control LC8

Goal is to use stock HU

right now I only have the speakers installed and there is little to no bass but it is so SO clear. Reason why there is no bass is because the stock amp does not send enough watts RMS to the speakers in the jeep I should be sending 75watts RMS x4 to front components and rears and 300 watts RMS to the sub. I am hoping that the combo will kick some ass finally

also for guys wanting to just upgrade the amp you can get a pac harnest that will keep the steering wheel controls even with an after market HU. But I know that Kicker and the PDX fit in the stock amp location but on the 13 you have to remove the stock amp first to make for the room needed.

I'll post pics on where I moved my amp to and the LC8

jeepedjeep 03-08-2013 05:12 AM

Here are some pictures of the install. Unfortunately I didn't take any on my speaker install for you all sorry :(.

But I made at work this to fit under the driver seat. There is a lot if clearance for normal seat functions. The mounting holes are easily made thru the aluminum and the little existing holes make for zip ties for speaker wires. I'll be powder coating it sometime soon

ahsumtoy 04-12-2013 10:30 AM

Here's What I Did - What a Difference

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3475215)
I agree. Just swapping speakers and keeping the factory head unit will do only so much. If the factory speakers have paper woofers there will be an improvement over the stock. But to really have a substantial "Night and Day" improvement you should change the HU, add an amp and good speakers. That, even without a sub will make your system listenable with the top down.

I just bought my 2013 Wrangler Unlimted JK in the Oscar/Mike Package. I love this Jeep but when I turned on the radio, I couldn't believe how bad the speakers sounded. This Jeep came with the upgraded Alpine Premium Sound System with 7 speakers, including the Alpine Subwoofer in the back which you really can't control or hear. The head unit is the 130 system. After reading many forums on this, many people replaced their 4 speakers with 6 1/2 Kickers. I have a friend who did this and yes it sounded a little better than the stock speakers but not what I wanted. This is what I put in and it rocks. It is a hundred times better than the original and I kept the original 130 Head Unit. I listen to Rock, Hip Hop, Pop, and some Country and they all sound GREAT. This addition cost about $1200, not cheap but worth it. Now my Jeep is Super. I can crank up the music and the speakers do not distort at all, and I mean really crank it up.

Replaced 2 dash speakers with Hybrid Audio Imagine 161-2 speakers. Took the tweeters off the new speakers and put them into the tweeters on top of the dash. You can take the tweeters off the HA speakers (cool). Then I replaced the 2 light bar speakers with ARC Audio speakers. Next I put in a Kenwood 5-Chan Amplifier (X700-5) under the front passenger seat. I used 8 Gauge Pro Complete wiring kit from Stinger, 12' 4 Channel RCA feed, a AAMP Gold RCA Couplers, a PAC RCA Line Level Controller, PAC 2 Channel Adj LOC with Auto Remote, and a PAC 4 Channel Output Converter. I also put in a JL 8" W1 Subwoofer to replace the OEM location in the very back. I can control the subwoofer with a separate rotating switch.

This took about 4 hours of work.

st1264 04-12-2013 11:29 AM

Nice, you did it the right way. That way costs money though. Not sure if I'm going to do anything to mine. Unless I save up a bunch of cash and do it the right way, I may just leave it.

dalfiduk 05-28-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsumtoy (Post 3627742)
I just bought my 2013 Wrangler Unlimted JK in the Oscar/Mike Package. I love this Jeep but when I turned on the radio, I couldn't believe how bad the speakers sounded. This Jeep came with the upgraded Alpine Premium Sound System with 7 speakers, including the Alpine Subwoofer in the back which you really can't control or hear. The head unit is the 130 system. After reading many forums on this, many people replaced their 4 speakers with 6 1/2 Kickers. I have a friend who did this and yes it sounded a little better than the stock speakers but not what I wanted. This is what I put in and it rocks. It is a hundred times better than the original and I kept the original 130 Head Unit. I listen to Rock, Hip Hop, Pop, and some Country and they all sound GREAT. This addition cost about $1200, not cheap but worth it. Now my Jeep is Super. I can crank up the music and the speakers do not distort at all, and I mean really crank it up.

Replaced 2 dash speakers with Hybrid Audio Imagine 161-2 speakers. Took the tweeters off the new speakers and put them into the tweeters on top of the dash. You can take the tweeters off the HA speakers (cool). Then I replaced the 2 light bar speakers with ARC Audio speakers. Next I put in a Kenwood 5-Chan Amplifier (X700-5) under the front passenger seat. I used 8 Gauge Pro Complete wiring kit from Stinger, 12' 4 Channel RCA feed, a AAMP Gold RCA Couplers, a PAC RCA Line Level Controller, PAC 2 Channel Adj LOC with Auto Remote, and a PAC 4 Channel Output Converter. I also put in a JL 8" W1 Subwoofer to replace the OEM location in the very back. I can control the subwoofer with a separate rotating switch.

This took about 4 hours of work.

Im thinking installating the same kind of setup but do you think that a Jl audio sub 10w1 will fit in your opinion in the alpine oem enclosure?

Thk

woansleftpeg 05-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalfiduk (Post 3801634)
Im thinking installating the same kind of setup but do you think that a Jl audio sub 10w1 will fit in your opinion in the alpine oem enclosure?

Thk

No. Only an 8" will fit, partly because the hole is designed for an 8" and partly because the box isn't big enough to provide the volume necessarily for the sub to work to its full capabilities.

panthermark 05-28-2013 08:15 PM

Someone one another site once created a 10" factory sub opening out of the stock 8" opening. It was awesome, and while he said it wasn't that hard....it looked HARD to me. Something about homemade fiberglass...which he said wasn't that hard to do...but I'm not going to try it.

So basically, outside of fabricating you own custom enclosure...yeah...you are stuck with an 8" sub.

woansleftpeg 05-28-2013 08:21 PM

If you're going to create a custom fiberglass extension to the factory box you might as well create a custom enclosure and do the job properly, I think. Building with fiberglass isn't as hard as you might think, but it's really messy and takes some skill to make it look really professional - certainly more than I have. MDF/plywood, silicon sealant and auto carpet is much easier.

3TimeOwner 05-28-2013 08:22 PM

I put an 8" excelon sub in the stock enclosure, with a rockford fosgate amp to power it. More than enough sub -- it vibrates the back window and top. 300 watts bridged to the single coil... WAAAAA boomin

woansleftpeg 05-28-2013 08:30 PM

There are some really good 8" subs out there at very reasonable prices, even JL have one whose price tag doesn't make me want to puke (and several that do). Alpine have an excellent 8" sub that hits 350W RMS, a Jeep is never going to be carrying competition standard audio and 350W is more than enough power for 99% of people. My buddy has the Alpine in his Tacoma and it kicks like a mule.