Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Control Arms with lift? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/control-arms-with-lift-186894.html)

Fanofny 09-13-2012 06:59 PM

Control Arms with lift?
 
Well I just got my teraflex 2.5 inch coil lift from UPS today, thanks Northridge4x4! And thanks EADOffroad for my F911 bolt kit! Ive looked through plenty of threads about whether to go with a 2.5 inch lift, 2.5 inch spacers, leveling kit, etc and once I decided on the teraflex coil lift I read even more threads on installing it (and watched the video) and I have a question...

When I go to install the lift and bolt kit tomorrow how will I install the control arm bolts? The teraflex instructions say remove all track bar bolts and track bars front and rear prior to installation so I'm good there but it specifically says to not remove the control arm bolts or control arms...

Thanks for all the help and sorry if this has been covered before. I've been through so many threads I may have overlooked it.

kjeeper10 09-13-2012 07:05 PM

All those bolts are loosened during the lift install and torqued with the weight of the jeep on its axles/tires.
Just remove and replace them at any point

The rear track bar bolts are removed to install the relo bracket .

Jeep757 09-13-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanofny (Post 2789989)
Well I just got my teraflex 2.5 inch coil lift from UPS today, thanks Northridge4x4! And thanks EADOffroad for my F911 bolt kit! Ive looked through plenty of threads about whether to go with a 2.5 inch lift, 2.5 inch spacers, leveling kit, etc and once I decided on the teraflex coil lift I read even more threads on installing it (and watched the video) and I have a question...

When I go to install the lift and bolt kit tomorrow how will I install the control arm bolts? The teraflex instructions say remove all track bar bolts and track bars front and rear prior to installation so I'm good there but it specifically says to not remove the control arm bolts or control arms...

Thanks for all the help and sorry if this has been covered before. I've been through so many threads I may have overlooked it.

which TF 2.5" coil lift did you get? i'm also looking at the TF 2.5" coil lift but didn't see one that came with control arms or did you order those separate along with it?

TX Sasquatch 09-13-2012 08:10 PM

There aren't CAs with the kit, but he bought new bolts for the stock CAs and wanted to know how/when to go about swapping out the bolts during the lift install.

Jeep757 09-13-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX Sasquatch (Post 2790221)
There aren't CAs with the kit, but he bought new bolts for the stock CAs and wanted to know how/when to go about swapping out the bolts during the lift install.

ah gotcha, so since i am looking at a similar lift, is that something i should take into consideration as well?

TX Sasquatch 09-13-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep757 (Post 2790239)
ah gotcha, so since i am looking at a similar lift, is that something i should take into consideration as well?

Definitely. The aftermarket bolt kit is something that you should check out if you get a lift or not.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the...ts-128154.html

Jeep757 09-13-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX Sasquatch (Post 2790264)
Definitely. The aftermarket bolt kit is something that you should check out if you get a lift or not.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the...ts-128154.html

Thanks TX :thumb:

Fanofny 09-13-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX Sasquatch (Post 2790221)
There aren't CAs with the kit, but he bought new bolts for the stock CAs and wanted to know how/when to go about swapping out the bolts during the lift install.

+1...yeah I was really just looking to get two birds with one stone and do it right the first time so I'm hopefully not crawling back under the jeep anytime soon.

Jeep757-I got the teraflex part number TF-1251000 for my 07 JKU

Jeep757 09-13-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanofny (Post 2790348)

Jeep757-I got the teraflex part number TF-1251000 for my 07 JKU

ah, your doing the one with the TF shocks. im goin with the 1351000 and rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks (partally thanks to kjeeper10)

got this hardware kit right along with the lift kit and JKS adj front trackbar.
haven't firmed up my decision on the control arms yet. buddy of mine recommented the JKS adj control arms as well but not sure to go with those, RK CA's or TF CA's

Fanofny 09-13-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep757 (Post 2790417)
ah, your doing the one with the TF shocks. im goin with the 1351000 and rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks (partally thanks to kjeeper10)

got this hardware kit right along with the lift kit and JKS adj front trackbar.
haven't firmed up my decision on the control arms yet. buddy of mine recommented the JKS adj control arms as well but not sure to go with those, RK CA's or TF CA's


I had adjustable shocks and struts on my 03 Mach 1 and found that I never wanted to take the time to adjust them. Laziness? Yeah probly, but Once i installed them i wasnt looking to get back under my car to change them haha. I figured the teraflex shocks will be fine for me based on reviews I've read about them, the rancho's, bilstein, etc. And I'm hoping I won't need adjustable control arms or adjustable trackbars just yet with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires. But well see once I get everything installed and the suspension settles. I'll post some before and after pics once I get the lift on.

kbwwolf 09-14-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanofny (Post 2790545)
And I'm hoping I won't need adjustable control arms or adjustable trackbars just yet with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires. But well see once I get everything installed and the suspension settles. I'll post some before and after pics once I get the lift on.

Most peeps don't need adj ca's/tb's for a 2.5" lift. Adjustable ca's are only needed if your caster is way off (steering will be jerky or flighty on the highway).

You'll only need an adjustable trackbar is your axle isn't properly centered (either or both).

Fanofny 09-16-2012 06:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay I finally got the lift and bolt kit installed over the weekend. I'll post some before/after pictures and then I have a few questions about the install.

First Pic, I mounted the Track Bar Bracket that came with the kit (Not the Drill through, but bolt on axle bracket) and fit the new F911 bolt and washer on each side and there is just about a hairs worth of thread sticking out. I torqued it to 125 ft lbs but Im just curious if this is okay or should I ditch a washer or two..

Second Pic, It may be hard to see but I have two questions from this pic. First I seemed to have mounted up the Passenger side shock turned the wrong way i.e., you cant see the teraflex logo. Is this a problem and can I just remove the shock and turn it around? Second, If you look closely at the Track Bar Bracket, I mounted the trackbar in the top bolt hole(Theres two there) Teraflex instructions didnt specify which hole but they showed a pic of the trackbar in the top so thats where she went. Is that okay or should it be mounted in the bottom hole?

Third/Fourth Pic, I tried to straighten up the steering wheel but Cant seem to get it right. The third pic are the wheels straight as I can get them in the driveway and the fourth pic is the steering wheel. Im taking it to get an alignment tomorrow so should I expect the problem to be fixed?

And my final question is how will I know if I need an adjustable track bar or if my axle is off center?

Fanofny 09-16-2012 06:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is the before and after...original shocks and factory coil springs (17/18 front and 58 rear) The pictures were taken at approximately the same position of my driveway with a pretty defined uphill slope.

the Kolector 09-16-2012 06:53 PM

Very nice! Hows the ride?

Jeep757 09-16-2012 07:03 PM

Looks good

Fanofny 09-16-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Kolector (Post 2798595)
Very nice! Hows the ride?

It rides much much better than stock. It feels stable on the road and I havent been off road yet but I imagine it will feel the same. Its a much more firm ride, but I almost feel firm isnt the right word. Its not back breaking kidney busting firm, just a noticeable different ride (In a good way) from my factory shocks/springs with 65,000 miles on them. I would have to say its much more comfortable to drive and the jeep is my daily driver so with the new look and better comfort, I say its a win win for me haha

Fanofny 09-16-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep757 (Post 2798635)
Looks good

Thanks...to me it looks much better than stock, not to mention more clearance for off roading and the perfect amount of lift with my 33's

kjeeper10 09-16-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanofny
Okay I finally got the lift and bolt kit installed over the weekend. I'll post some before/after pictures and then I have a few questions about the install.

First Pic, I mounted the Track Bar Bracket that came with the kit (Not the Drill through, but bolt on axle bracket) and fit the new F911 bolt and washer on each side and there is just about a hairs worth of thread sticking out. I torqued it to 125 ft lbs but Im just curious if this is okay or should I ditch a washer or two..

Second Pic, It may be hard to see but I have two questions from this pic. First I seemed to have mounted up the Passenger side shock turned the wrong way i.e., you cant see the teraflex logo. Is this a problem and can I just remove the shock and turn it around? Second, If you look closely at the Track Bar Bracket, I mounted the trackbar in the top bolt hole(Theres two there) Teraflex instructions didnt specify which hole but they showed a pic of the trackbar in the top so thats where she went. Is that okay or should it be mounted in the bottom hole?

Third/Fourth Pic, I tried to straighten up the steering wheel but Cant seem to get it right. The third pic are the wheels straight as I can get them in the driveway and the fourth pic is the steering wheel. Im taking it to get an alignment tomorrow so should I expect the problem to be fixed?

And my final question is how will I know if I need an adjustable track bar or if my axle is off center?

-Just unbolt the bottom and turn the shock around. No biggy.
-They will center the steering on the alignment rack for you.
-As far as the axles being centered. Find a spot to measure from each tire and the frame to compare, the best spot In the front is from the top of the spring perch to the tire.

Looks great :thumb:

ohioviper 09-16-2012 07:28 PM

Can I ask what size tire and rims ?

Fanofny 09-16-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2798682)
-Just unbolt the bottom and turn the shock around. No biggy.
-They will center the steering on the alignment rack for you.
-As far as the axles being centered. Find a spot to measure from each tire and the frame to compare, the best spot In the front is from the top of the spring perch to the tire.

Looks great :thumb:

Thanks kjeeper10...Im gonna get it aligned tomorrow and measure the axle afterwards :punk:

Fanofny 09-16-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 2798714)
Can I ask what size tire and rims ?

33x12.50x15 Duratrac Tires and 15x8 Black Rock D Window Alloy Rims

mgwilson 09-17-2012 11:44 AM

body lift
 
im kinda new a this and don't really know how to use a forum but i need some answers please. I have a 1997 sport and need a body lift. I heard that if you get a 3" lift that the steering linkage, fuel filler tubes, brake lines etc will become to short and have to be extended. Is this true or have i heard wrong?http://t.co/1xQfX1Z

Fanofny 09-17-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgwilson (Post 2800743)
im kinda new a this and don't really know how to use a forum but i need some answers please. I have a 1997 sport and need a body lift. I heard that if you get a 3" lift that the steering linkage, fuel filler tubes, brake lines etc will become to short and have to be extended. Is this true or have i heard wrong?http://t.co/1xQfX1Z

I would try starting a new thread over here TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum

You might get better responses to your question. Welcome to the forum!

mgwilson 09-17-2012 02:15 PM

thank you!

Jeep757 09-17-2012 06:42 PM

since the kit replaces the TB and CA bolts, do the shock bolts need to be changed as well?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.