Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Cant find brakes that will fit.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/cant-find-brakes-that-will-fit-186951.html)

osu50sprinter 09-14-2012 06:18 AM

Cant find brakes that will fit..

I bought my 05 TJ and the PO had installed a disc brake conversion kit and i didnt ask him about how to replace the brakes. I am going to need to replace the e brake cables and the pads soon. Does anyone have an idea as to the most likely vehicle they would be from? I am thinking that is an late 90's grand cherokee from the kits that I have seen online, but want to make sure.

koopzz 09-14-2012 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just had to do this! I have the SSBC Rear Disc Conversion for a '97.

You are going to think I am pulling you leg! I am not!

For the '97 Kit the Calipers, Caliper Brackets, Pads are from a 1988 Ford Thunder Bird with the 5.0!

I had to order my Rotors from SSBC because they (SSBC) would not tell me the information above. I called a second time - I got a tech who told me what to order.

Do your pads look like this? I think I attached the picture? :confused:

Neil F. 09-14-2012 06:32 AM

Well, if you can, I'd really try to recontact the PO to find out what they are.

Jerry Bransford 09-14-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osu50sprinter (Post 2791167)
I bought my 05 TJ and the PO had installed a disc brake conversion kit and i didnt ask him about how to replace the brakes. I am going to need to replace the e brake cables and the pads soon. Does anyone have an idea as to the most likely vehicle they would be from? I am thinking that is an late 90's grand cherokee from the kits that I have seen online, but want to make sure.

My Tera drum-to-disk conversion kit used Ford Explorer pads.

osu50sprinter 09-15-2012 06:12 AM

No, those dont look like it. I had Grand Cherokee at one point and they kinda look like those. Plus when i was trying to find an ebrake cable to replace the one i had, it looked like the cable was off of a Grand Cherokee. So that is why i am kinda leaning towards a GC kit.

Black Magic Brakes 09-15-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osu50sprinter (Post 2794473)
No, those dont look like it. I had Grand Cherokee at one point and they kinda look like those. Plus when i was trying to find an ebrake cable to replace the one i had, it looked like the cable was off of a Grand Cherokee. So that is why i am kinda leaning towards a GC kit.

If they look like TJ, Ford Explorer, or ZJ rear discs, you will need a measurement of some kind to figure out the pads.

Or pull a set of pads out of one caliper and post them up and I might be able to identify them.

ZJ rear pads are longer between the two notches than the Explorer or TJ rear pads because they don't use the S/S abutment clips.

Explorer and TJ use the abutment clips, but the 3 prong springs that pop into the caliper piston are different sizes, so they are not interchangeable even though the distance between the notches is the same.

Cable style won't tell you anything except that you MAY have one of the 3 I've listed.

See if they have the abutment clips and that may eliminate the ZJ stuff if they are there.