Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Thinking about Plastidipping today .. suggestions? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/thinking-about-plastidipping-today-suggestions-187170.html)

zachary.mcadams 09-15-2012 01:03 PM

Thinking about Plastidipping today .. suggestions?

Jeepers, I am looking to plastidip the grille of my Jeep today. My Rubi is all black with a chrome grill, and I just don't plain like the look. So I've heard a cheap way to smoke it out instead of a powdercoat, is to plastidip it. Problem is, I've never used the stuff.

Any tips from anyone who has? Whats the best method, take off the grille then plastidip? Tape it off then spray? Any help would be much appreciated.

And don't forget to wave!

jasongind 09-15-2012 02:25 PM

Ive never done a grill but I think I would remove it. I hate taping stuff off. Plus less chance of over spray. Make sure you clean the grill good before spraying. I washed my items off with Damn dish soap, let it dry, then wiped them down with a lint free cloth and acetone. Spray a few thin coats as oppose to one or two thick coats. Good luck and post pics.

ken78744 09-15-2012 03:05 PM

Going to do this to my LJ Rubicon tomorrow after work, I would clean everything really really good and because it is Chrome I would ruff it up with a scotch bright pad so the plastic dip sticks good will post before and after pictures. Mine is not Chrome but will do the same prep to mine. Good luck post some pics. :-)

Arlington TJ 09-15-2012 03:36 PM

I plasti dipped my chrome grill pieces. I just wiped them down with alcohol and sprayed light coats. Hasn't bubbled yet. I also did my chrome head light bezels the same way.

ken78744 09-15-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlington TJ
I plasti dipped my chrome grill pieces. I just wiped them down with alcohol and sprayed light coats. Hasn't bubbled yet. I also did my chrome head light bezels the same way.

Any pics???

Notoriously_rob 09-15-2012 05:30 PM

I plastic dip my center console. I regret doing it. Any type of rough movement around it and the plastic dip just rubs right off. Eventually I'm going to have to scuff it down and paint it

zachary.mcadams 09-15-2012 06:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I just finished up the plastidip process, actually came out pretty well. I am going to plastidip some other stuff tomorrow, the grey hardtop and a few other things on the jeep that are more of a faded grey.

For those of you doing it in the future, I will say .. buy multiple cans, and spray at a good 5-6" away so it doesn't pool up. It is going to take a bit to coat properly/evenly but it comes out looking a lot better than chrome!:thumb:

I have attached the before/during and after pics. Lemme know what you think!:punk:

ken78744 09-15-2012 07:41 PM

Looks good!!!!

Jacqui 09-15-2012 10:40 PM

That looks great! We'll likely be doing the same on our grill.