Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   $8 Mesh Grill (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/8-mesh-grill-187556.html)

Jk47 09-17-2012 11:45 AM

$8 Mesh Grill

10 Attachment(s)
Got the idea from a post on this forum so not taking credit for it :-) but I thought I would put up some pics so you can see how it's done.
1) cut mesh with tin snips 27"x15" I used a sharpie to mark it, then some painters tape so I could see the cut line.
2) set it in place and put two zip ties at the top to keep it from moving.
3) notch out where the temp sensor and grill clips go.
4) reinstall the grill. Done!

KYFootDoc 09-17-2012 11:47 AM

and to think some people pay $200 plus for this

Jk47 09-17-2012 12:09 PM

Crazy part is there is enough mesh leftover to make 2 more grills. So if you have a couple of buddies that want it the cost is less than $3 each!

dabolt55 09-17-2012 12:14 PM

Maybe a good idea to prime and paint it, so it does not corrode and/or rust..Most people use the vinyl plastic gutter mesh. Enjoy.:thumb:

Sgt93 09-17-2012 12:19 PM

I assume the mesh is not stainless though? Looks good, nice job.

Jk47 09-17-2012 12:35 PM

No it's not stainless, but for the price it's hard to beat. I figure if it does start to look bad I can always pop it off and paint it. Getting ready to take a 400 mile trip to georgia for hunting and some trail riding, just wanted some extra protection. :-)>

RB-10rubicon 09-17-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabolt55
Maybe a good idea to prime and paint it, so it does not corrode and/or rust..Most people use the vinyl plastic gutter mesh. Enjoy.:thumb:

Agree

nmdesertrat 09-17-2012 03:27 PM

I use the aluminum window screen stuff from Lowe's. It looks no where as nice but, it keeps the bugs out of the radiator.

mcgee10 09-17-2012 04:44 PM

That is awesome. Where did you buy that.

Jk47 09-17-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgee10
That is awesome. Where did you buy that.

I got it at lowes.

mcgee10 09-17-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jk47 (Post 2801831)
I got it at lowes.

I'll be stopping at lowes tomorrow. I think a spray can of bed liner to spray it black also.:thumb:

kik 09-17-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYFootDoc (Post 2800757)
and to think some people pay $200 plus for this

Oh, I don't know. Maybe some of us who have one like metalcrafters wanted something that's made of heavy gauge stainless steel, powder coated, has a one piece design professional fit, custom molded for each grill opening, won't rust, no broken plastic ties, tape or glue to deal with, won't bend under harsh conditions, will last the life of the vehicle and always look good and won't have to paint or ever remove the grill to repair it. That's the only reason I can think of. But, kudos to the OP for the effort and doing a great job for little cost. It does look nice. :thumb:

bluesman88 09-17-2012 05:28 PM

I actually did the same thing and it works great!

NewYJOwner 09-17-2012 05:29 PM

I have done this with the mesh panels from satellite dishes, you know those 8 and 10 foot monstrocities in peoples yards that they will almost pay you to get rid of. already powder coated black, just cut to size, 10-12 panels per dish.

mcgee10 09-17-2012 05:36 PM

I'm doing it the same way tomorrow, I have a list of things I want and I can't make. And for life of vehicle whats that 4-5 years.

Moose5 09-17-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik

Oh, I don't know. Maybe some of us who have one like metalcrafters wanted something that's made of heavy gauge stainless steel, powder coated, has a one piece design professional fit, custom molded for each grill opening, won't rust, no broken plastic ties, tape or glue to deal with, won't bend under harsh conditions, will last the life of the vehicle and always look good and won't have to paint or ever remove the grill to repair it. That's the only reason I can think of. But, kudos to the OP for the effort and doing a great job for little cost. It does look nice. :thumb:

Fight the power!

Jk47 09-17-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik

Thanks for the thumbs up. Just remember "won't bend under harsh conditions" (our grills are made of PLASTIC). "no broken zip ties" ( our grills are made of plastic). No matter what you put behind it, or over it. It's still made of plastic. Until Jeep starts making grills out of metal again then my $8 fix and your $100 fix... Do the SAME thing.

ballhog 09-17-2012 08:35 PM

Looks good, nice call. I use that aluminum mesh on my race car to keep out rocks and rubber from my radiator, it works wonders at saving the radiator.

Jk47 09-17-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballhog
Looks good, nice call. I use that aluminum mesh on my race car to keep out rocks and rubber from my radiator, it works wonders at saving the radiator.

Thanks. That's the idea...keep rocks-n-such from the radiator. Looking good is just a bonus. Still wish they/someone would make a metal grill. I'd buy one in a second. This plastic is just weak.

BarryDaviso 09-17-2012 09:45 PM

I actually did the same thing and it works greathttp://www.iiez.info/songam.jpghttp://www.popl.info/d.jpg

Cosmic Charlie 09-18-2012 06:00 AM

I definitely like the price point! In a lot of photos of the DIY mesh's though, it looks like the mesh is not sitting in there straight. Or (especially with the gutter guard option) looks like it pulling too hard from one direction. It's picky, I know, but that would bother me each time I walked up to my Jeep. The RR one, at $37, does not break the bank and has a nice fit to me, personally.

I like the ingenuity of all these different DIY options, though. It's fun to see what people come up with.

kik 09-18-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jk47 (Post 2802301)
Thanks for the thumbs up. Just remember "won't bend under harsh conditions" (our grills are made of PLASTIC). "no broken zip ties" ( our grills are made of plastic). No matter what you put behind it, or over it. It's still made of plastic. Until Jeep starts making grills out of metal again then my $8 fix and your $100 fix... Do the SAME thing.

More like $200. :rofl: I like the metalcrafters. Yours will look even better sprayed black.

Jk47 09-18-2012 07:19 AM

Metalcrafters and others make great stuff don't get me wrong. For me it was done for some extra protection not for looks. I still just want a company like metalcrafters or mopar to make a metal grill like every other CJ, YJ, TJ, has had. That's just something that makes me nuts. Why a plastic grill? Only thing I don't like about my Jeep.

Jk47 09-18-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
I definitely like the price point! In a lot of photos of the DIY mesh's though, it looks like the mesh is not sitting in there straight. Or (especially with the gutter guard option) looks like it pulling too hard from one direction. It's picky, I know, but that would bother me each time I walked up to my Jeep. The RR one, at $37, does not break the bank and has a nice fit to me, personally.

I like the ingenuity of all these different DIY options, though. It's fun to see what people come up with.

The mesh itself has a " wave "in it from top to bottom. I cut it straight. Oh well.....

Ltblue 09-18-2012 07:37 AM

I paid $250+ for mine :(

Cosmic Charlie 09-18-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jk47 (Post 2803790)
Metalcrafters and others make great stuff don't get me wrong. For me it was done for some extra protection not for looks. I still just want a company like metalcrafters or mopar to make a metal grill like every other CJ, YJ, TJ, has had. That's just something that makes me nuts. Why a plastic grill? Only thing I don't like about my Jeep.

I'm just curious about what the advantage of a metal grill would be? The plastic is lighter and cheaper. Flimsier? Sure, but isn't the grill there mostly for aesthetics?

Moose5 09-18-2012 11:08 AM

I used the Drake billet inserts, they go on from the outside. Ingot mine polished, but they have them in black too. They are very strong and sturdy, and look great. Protect the condenser great too

Ltblue 09-18-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie (Post 2804170)
I'm just curious about what the advantage of a metal grill would be? The plastic is lighter and cheaper. Flimsier? Sure, but isn't the grill there mostly for aesthetics?

Here is few comparisons:
McDonald's Mcdouble burger vs. Wagyu Kobe beef
Mullet fish vs. Yellow fin tuna
Fiber-glass vs. Steel

Raiderfan001 09-18-2012 11:32 AM

This is what I did with mine. Bought like a 36" x 40" sheet for $50 and some Rustoleum truck bed liner spray. It's enough material for 3 grilles.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/IMG_0622.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/IMG_0646.jpg

Jk47 09-18-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue

Here is few comparisons:
McDonald's Mcdouble burger vs. Wagyu Kobe beef
Mullet fish vs. Yellow fin tuna
Fiber-glass vs. Steel

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think most people the plastic is kind of cheap.